How to rebuild the power antenna - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, How to rebuild the power antenna in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Help! Bought the antenna mast & cable from AntennaMastsRUs and everything has gone OK, but I can't for the life ...
    CUTiger78 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 ESV Premium

Re: How to rebuild the power antenna

Help!

Bought the antenna mast & cable from AntennaMastsRUs and everything has gone OK, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the cable hook back where it belongs. I think I know where it should go - at the flat spot - but I can't get it to hook into anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It's a little tricky, but it hooks into the little hole in the gear.

sacvo1999 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Mac and Betty silver and pearl 99 devilles

any good ideas on places or companies that sell the mast

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

cbheart is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Allante

Retractor cable was broken, but mast was okay. Ordered replacement cable without new mast for $25. I then followed the instructions above, including all the very helpful annotated photos. Everything proceeded exactly as described in the narrative. What a great site, and what great advice in this string.

Thanks for the meticulous job.

David Biarritz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1961 Eldorado Biarritz 1983 Fleetwood Brougham coupe

I just repaired the antenna on my 83 Fleetwood brougham coupe. This was very tricky and obviously was not designed to be repaired.
    This model has only a very small access, lower half wheel housing. Too small for the antenna with the mid-mounting bracket.
    It is not explained how to remove the antenna on the Fleetwood anywhere in the 1983 Cadillac service manual. Only for the Eldorado and Seville.
    And if you did manage to remove the antenna, you will find that the new antenna or mast is not available for this model.

This is how I repaired mine. Just turn the steering wheel full lock to the right.
    Remove three lower screws from the wheel arch mould and under that the two T30 double hex fender bolts that secures the plastic lower-half wheel housing.
    Now using two large screwdrivers or twisting a chisel, pry apart the two plastic plugs that clamp the lower-half wheel housing to the upper-inner wheel housing.
    With a torchlight you can now just see the antenna.
    Remove the two top mast bolts at the top of fender, just under the hood and the mid-mounting 10mm bolt down in the engine bay (no need to remove the escutcheon assembly at this stage)
    Disconnect the antenna connection and three wire feeder plugs.
    The antenna should now drop down, but you will not be able to remove it out of the access hole unless you remove the mid-mounting bracket using a 10mm socket and small ratchet reaching up inside the access hole.
    (My antenna was stuck in the 'up' position which meant I had to also drill out the rivets; remove the clips and remove the mast. In hindsight I would have been better to just cut the mast.)
    Most common problem with an electric antenna is that the plastic tail will be broken.
    Not being able to find the exact antenna new or second hand, I managed to find a Seville antenna of the same year, but the mounting brackets were not in the correct place.
    You will find that the inner mast's are interchangeable.
    With the new working antenna, you can drill out the rivets; remove the outer clips and take out the mast (including the plastic tail and gear complete).
    The centre of this mast can be removed from the outer mast by unscrewing the white plastic inner part of the base of the mast.
    Disassemble the old antenna the same way and install the newer inner mast to the outer. Assemble the motor housing using nut and bolts instead of rivets. You can bench test using a 12 V battery.
    Now comes the tricky part; to mount it back into the car, insert the antenna into the access hole and reach in and connect the mid-mounting bracket using a 10mm socket and ratchet one handed with your eyes closed and it has to be attached the right way around.
    Feed the antenna and connection plug though the feeder hole.
    Remove the top escutcheon assembly and use a stiff wire from the top to hook up the antenna mast; lining up the two top mounting bolts. Don't tighten at this stage.
    Now try to align the mid-mounting bracket and insert the last bolt from the engine bay. If this is successful, tighten all the bolts. You may need a 10mm open end and keep the antenna up so that it wont foul with the top escutcheon assembly when the antenna is in operation.
    Reassemble the lower-half wheel housing cover and reconnect the antenna and connecting wires.
    I hope this guide will help anyone else with a similar problem.

madmaxwolf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville Concours

Thanks so much for this post. I bought a 1999 DeVille Concours back in July and the antennae was stuck in the where ever I put it position (I guess the plastic cable is broke as the motor runs). I pulled another intact antennae assy from a 97 in the local pick and pull for $20 and installed it. It only went up about a foot. I waited till today to again remove the working one, disassemble it, clean it, grease it, and align the plastic wheel and the little stop wheel and bingo-bango, it works great. It had never been serviced. How long should it take for the antennae to extend/retract? Mine is 5 or 6 sec. Now to take the broken one apart and see if I can fix it too. Nice to have a backup if ever needed. Again thanks.

Fred Kiehl is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

The pictures have disappeared from the post. What is the position of the stop for the drum?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.