TB and IAC (idle air control) valve cleaning
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, TB and IAC (idle air control) valve cleaning in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; So this morning, after making a pitstop on the way into work, the car would not stay on—it would stall. ...
    mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

TB and IAC (idle air control) valve cleaning

So this morning, after making a pitstop on the way into work, the car would not stay on—it would stall.

If I applied the gas, no problem... But as soon as I let go the rpms would drop and car would stall.

I checked the carputer for any codes or clues... None. Luckily Ranger was around and pointed me in the right direction = dirty TB plate or IAC.

So here's what happened next.

I cautiously drove back home with one foot on the gas, the other on the brake (not allowing the RPMs to drop below 1000). Pictorial of the surgery, below.

This isn't as good as SL1CKs, but it is for the 2000+ which is quite simpler!

It also shows the IAC valve, which is so easy to take out and clean, but so expensive to replace!

Behold... my clean engine bay. It's more fun to work on a clean engine. I like to keep it clean!

To remove the air intake duct, simply unscrew the two screws on the air filter housing, and

unscrew the slotted bolt holding the intake to the TB.

Here is the IAC plug, two phillips screws hold it in.

When you take it out (After unplugging it) here is the port hole, clean this well too.

Here is the IAC valve, and it's two fastening screws. I cleaned it with electric parts cleaner, so if any of the solvent leaks into the electric motor or windings, it doesn't harm them as it's non-conducive.

This is a dirty IAC valve. The shaft is supposed to be shiny metal, not black soot.

Remove the duct work (unplug MAF sensor plug first)

Dirty TB

Spray it with the TB cleaner. I use a Toothbrush as well.

After the cleaning, the edges are clean and the back of the throttle plate (WOT, shown here) should be clean, as well as the mating area with the TB. Don't worry about the stuff further in, that'll dirty up in no time and does not affect operation.

not everything that shines is gold--this is platinum jk

The rags will be really dirty.

The heroes of the tale! The electric parts cleaner saved my EGR valve on the Eldorado ETC I owned... u can use regular TB cleaner, but allegedly if you get the electronic windings wet with it, it can become toast! I used the Electric parts cleaner on the $349 retail price IAC.
    ftzeviar, RedG49, RedG49 and 8 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Cleaning the TB & IAC valve on a 2000+ Northstar

mt, Once again, Well Done !!! This ought to be a sticky for quick reference because NOBODY searches for info..............

WIX filter ????....

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    mt, Once again, Well Done !!! This ought to be a sticky for quick reference because NOBODY searches for info..............

WIX filter ????....
    Thanks to a friend's advice on the forum, yup. Wix filter!

LuckyMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Sedan Deville

Re: TB and IAC (idle air control) valve cleaning

Your instructions are just what I have been looking for. Can you repost the pictures?
    Thanks,
    Tim

the pics are live, try refreshing?

With exceptions for the surge tank and airbox configurations this is good for the whole 2000+ Seville/Deville series. Nice work.

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Great tutorial... I would add one warning to the handling of the IAC valve. Don't attempt to move the plunger in and out... it can damage the threads on the worm drive.

SevillainSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Seville STS

Thumbs up Re: TB and IAC (idle air control) valve cleaning

extremely helpful. i will be doing this very soon. sticky maybe????

RLP82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i would also recommend that you take the coolant hose off and out of the way before you unscrew the screws in the ICV if useing hand tools

ernestfarley is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac DTS

My 2000 DTS was having the exact same problem this week and I thought it was my battery so I took it to get it checked and it was fine...then I thought maybe the alternator or starter...nope??? I stumbled across your post and did exactly as you posted and it starts up fine now...thanks :-)

tjlwolf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville

I just took mine out to clean it but I had to be careful because the black part would have shot out due to the inner spring. Does this mean mine is broken and has will come apart? I could easily take mine apart. The plunger slides in and out VERY easily. I cleaned it and put it back together and started it up and now my 2002 Deville is idling at 1300+ RPMs.

Please help. I started this because i was getting a P0507 code.

Quote Originally Posted by tjlwolf View Post
    I just took mine out to clean it but I had to be careful because the black part would have shot out due to the inner spring. Does this mean mine is broken and has will come apart? I could easily take mine apart. The plunger slides in and out VERY easily. I cleaned it and put it back together and started it up and now my 2002 Deville is idling at 1300+ RPMs.
    Yikes... yeah the IAC I didn't touch. It went bad anyway, about a year ago (much after writing this tutorial).

This is the one I had to buy... it's expensive but this was the best price I found on a new part: ACDelco 214-1098 Idle Air Control Valve Kit http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-214-10...-Control-Valve

In the meantime, if the iAC is cycling, you can unplug it when the RPMs are at Idle range with the AC on. I kept it that way for a few weeks while the new part arrived.

petert415 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 seville sls

i have a 2000 cadillac sls and i didnt understand what u meant by unplugging the MAF sensor and when u took the IACV out what did you use for cleaning the port hole?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Use TB cleaner. I still have Gumout carb cleaner and user it, though "technically" I've heard it said not to. I've had no problems and see no reason not to.

Most of the time all you need to clean is the TB. If you still have an idle low or high problem, then clean the IAC valve.

Look at picture #1. See the plug on top of the intake duct between the two strap clamps? That's the MAF sensor plug. You have to unplug it in order to remove the intake ducting.

Quote Originally Posted by petert415 View Post
    i have a 2000 cadillac sls and i didnt understand what u meant by unplugging the MAF sensor and when u took the IACV out what did you use for cleaning the port hole?
    Here's your intake ducting setup - the MAF sensor is over next to the air filter adapter - has a plug in top - 5 wires. Don't break a wire - the connector has a safety lock........

Use hobby pipe cleaners - fuzzy wires - to clean out the IAC valve bore in the TB.

You might consider removing the intake duct resonator and closing the hole with a suitable plug which can be clamped: ANY air leak in that intake duct and you get all sorts of mixture problems and a poor idle. Use a suitable Philips screw in the air filter/PCM box cover.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.