TB and IAC (idle air control) valve cleaning - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, TB and IAC (idle air control) valve cleaning in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; So two days ago, I driving on the highway around 60 mph. I needed to get around the vehicle in ...
    tone_dubbz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville

Re: Cleaning the TB & IAC valve on a 2000+ Northstar

So two days ago, I driving on the highway around 60 mph. I needed to get around the vehicle in front of me so that I wouldn't miss my exit, so I had to punch it up to to around 75'ish to go around. After that, I smelled something burning (for only a couple of seconds). After getting off the highway exit, I noticed that my car was idling kind of high.

The next morning, on the way to work, I noticed it again. I had to mash on the break at stop lights because my car was idling around +1000 rpms.

I did some research (internet), and found this thread and forum. (I drive a 2003 cadillac deville BTW)

I pulled the air filter housing, removed the IAC valve, and cleaned the throttle body.

Started her up, and now she's down to 700 rpms. Purrs like a kitten. Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

Now all I have to do is work on the gas gauge.
    RedG49 and RedG49 like this.

85vicwagonguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: TB and IAC (idle air control) valve cleaning

Fantastic! Now I'm ready to roll.

bhoppes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadillac Brougham 2003 Cadillac Seville SLS

I just finished cleaning my throttle body for the first time. I also replaced the air filter. It definitely runs a little smoother and the gas pedal doesn't "stick" after you let off it and then reapply it. Not sure if it's in my head, but I believe there is a little more power too.

After reading many threads about throttle body cleaning, I remember seeing this picture...

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...c/IMG_0690.jpg

On my car, I saw where it comes from, however, do I have to unscrew it and clean this also?

Thanks to mtflight for the directions and pictures on how to do this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Usually there is no need to clean the IAC pintle valve if you did a good job on the TB.

alleywayriqashay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 deville

Thank you for posting this tutorial. I am actually going threw this process right now. I just thought of a few questions while doing this. What if my after market car alarm goes off in the process. Can I start my car with the iac out? And. My throttle body door isn't open. Should I manually open it from the side to clean it better. And last. Should I clean all the way down by and on the springs of my IAC thing?

alleywayriqashay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 deville

I want to thank you for making this tutorial. It helped me out a good bit. But I have some questions and things to add of my own. My engine was idling very low. Shaking hard at 650. And then I cleaned the tb and IAC and it was idling smooth at a nice 700. But here's my input.

I do strongly.recommend the use of pipe cleaners. The electronics cleaner solution melts plastic. If only I had a picture of my mess lol.

And now my questions

I saw you had the tb in the open position.
    Mine wasn't. Do I open it manually from the side to clean the inside.

When cleaning my IAC. Do I clean the spring as well and anything I can get to without manipulating the controller.

Which solution did you use to clean the inside IAC port? Electric or tb cleaner?
    RedG49 and RedG49 like this.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Hey thanks for the compliment. Pipe cleaners sound like a good idea. The electronics parts cleaner isn't supposed to damage plastics, that's the only reason I suggested it. Using TB or Carb cleaner on the IAC could spell disaster.

I just cleaned the TB on my Eldo (I no longer have the DHS), and I was trying to figure out how I opened the TB. I know I used the wire and a screwdriver in some creative way. This time I just pulled the plastic lever and held it there with one hand as I cleaned the TB with the other.

You may not need to clean the IAC. but do not use TB cleaner for the IAC. You can use TB cleaner for the port, just not the little pricey thingamadoo. I hope this helps

tyma1026 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville

Thank you for this thread. I was just about to buy a torque wrench and test the torque on the intake bolts. Saved me a small hassle. I didn't do the throttle body yet but will tomorrow since we got rain but my '01 Seville STS runs like brand new now. Well it actually took two crankshaft position sensors, a map sensor, an oil switch, the intake plenum, a knock sensor that I decided to replace anyways since I was in the intake; starter cost too much, a piece of pvc for a broken vacuum tube, and cleaning the IAC and now she's just like new.

I don't post often but this thread and others have helped me in great times of need. Thanks to all of you. Sorry if I'm threadjacking. I can post in a new thread if I need too.

Cowboysgrl113 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac Deville

By far, the best thread I have seen in awhile. Thank you, mtflight for posting. Although it won't help with my car, I will pass this on to others with the car to match this procedure. Btw, will you come and make my engine bay all shiny like the one in the pics? LOL KUDOS!!!

dabbamonte is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville

Was having the identical problem on my 2003 DeVille. Found this post, cleaned the TB & IAC and what I thought might be an expensive problem has been solved. I thank everyone for this site!!!

acarew is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Eldorado

Thanks for this post, very nice tutorial and engine bay for that matter. Would the procedure be similar for a 94 eldorado ld8? Im assuming it is...

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Yes, except you will not have an IAC valve. You have an ISC motor so just concentrate on the TB bore and throttle plate.

RandyT. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Aurora

Nice job! I like to keep mine clean. I also recommend removing the tb all the way to clean it, that's the way I always do it, and the gaskets are very cheap. I have seen some pretty bad buildup that I would not want run though my motor.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

ftzeviar, Your CKP post has nothing to do with Tech Tips on IAC or TB cleaning. It has been moved to its own thread in Northstar Performance: 2003 Deville CKP codes ?

BigErn23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Seville STS

Good find.
    I'm going to clean IAC asap to see if it helps with my stall issue!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.