Diy - freshen up leather seats for $20 - no more ugly seat bottoms - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Diy - freshen up leather seats for $20 - no more ugly seat bottoms in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Glad you asked! Initially I followed the directions to use the SEM soap and my seats looked great with that ...
    mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Re: Diy - freshen up leather seats for $20 - no more ugly seat bottoms

Glad you asked!

Initially I followed the directions to use the SEM soap and my seats looked great with that alone. I waited overnight and painted the areas that needed touching up first thing in the morning. Looked beautiful... the stuff really is easy to work with and blends in like magic.

Then weeks later... this started happening.... (the horror!)

So then I called SEM products to ask them what went wrong? They said to go to the website and download these directions: http://semproducts.com/images/Users/...RAP-1_1009.pdf

The guy explained SEM soap is only for water soluble debris (like dirt), and then I need a grease/oil cleaner which is their SEM leather/vinyl prep aerosol. It reminds me of brake clean because it is an aerosol that evaporates almost instantly leaving nothing behind.

So the process is to clean with SEM soap and a "3M gray scuff pad" which is almost like a dish scuff pad, but not as harsh. That's what the scuff pad is called, and you can get it at Sherwin Williams or most other places that sell professional auto paint (not Autozone or OReilly etc). Then after thoroughly cleaning that way, you use a lint-free cloth (microfiber) and sweep in one direction as you spray the grease/oil solvent aerosol.

Then you put on the Classic coat stuff. I've so far in a few weeks had great results. I do have a couple of high-flex areas that are chipping see the picture below
    but I can touch it up with more confidence knowing the failure was probably some residual oils.

The SEM Classic Coat has a technical data sheet that explains the above procedure http://semproducts.com/images/tech_f...7353%20TDS.pdf in less detail.

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

9/09 - still holding up great. I use Zaino to condition. Have used Lexol on them too with no ill results.

FlyingRaven is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): balck raven 2003 CTS

does anybody know what is the color SEM color code for the gray seats in a cadillac cts? Also the dash around the radio and air vents

pitbull592 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 cts 3.6

I have to say I was a bit skeptical about this, but I bought the sem soap & the shale sparay for my 04 cts, I followed this diy and it matched up great

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

Anyone match up the light gray color from a 2001 Deville (GM sode 142)? Sem has a light gray but their code is 9781.

The Marshmallow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Has: 1997 Deville, 2008 VW GTI Stage 2+, now with K04 turbo

Subscribed for future reference. Very informative thread!

tbiglug is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan Deville

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know where to find an equivalent for the burgundy interiors?

ronswanson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville

Do you paint this on the parts of the seat that are meshed too?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.