Diy - freshen up leather seats for $20 - no more ugly seat bottoms - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Diy - freshen up leather seats for $20 - no more ugly seat bottoms in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Worked great on my '97 ETC seats. Also did my steering wheel and shifter - they were very bad - ...
    tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Re: Diy - freshen up leather seats for $20 - no more ugly seat bottoms

Worked great on my '97 ETC seats. Also did my steering wheel and shifter - they were very bad - now look like new - amazing; after 12 years and 153K miles, the steering wheel finish in some fairly large areas was completely worn through to the brown leather underneath. The armrest did not fare as well - the paint covers all the wear, but the cracks are still there, big time. It's better than it was, but not great.

I used Ford light parchment color on my car - it looked closer than anything else on the paint chip chart they had in the store, when I took it out and held it next to the interior. It's a very little bit lighter than what I had, but looks very good and blends right in.

A wonderful solution overall, I think. I also washed the car, and vacuumed it out; now the car rides better, is quieter, has more power, the seats are more comfortable, and the stereo sounds better too - well - that is tongue in cheek - some of you know what I mean.

Many thanks to the OP!

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

Thanks again to the OP and gdwriter!

I did my 01 SLS shale driver's seat Sunday. Less than an hour, including waiting for coats to dry. Simple process. I used the SEM soap, followed by simple green. I did not use the grey scrubbing pads that some have used. I used a white washcloth for the SEM soap and simple green - and rubbed hard. I did 4 coats because I think I was coating a little too lightly at first because I was scared. Anybody thinking about doing this, you cannot screw it up, seriously - it is that easy.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

After 2 months my seats are still holding up really well! Ended up doing some other areas of the car and now it looks like I have brand new seats. Still extremely happy with the results.

Planedr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 STS

I did my seats today. I think they came out great.
    Before

After

I would like to do the center parts a darker color.
    The paint was $17 a can @ 2 cans but my seats were in very bad shape. The soap was $13. But 50 bucks is a lot better than 200-300$ for new seats.
    (SAFETY TIP: DO NOT DRIVE VEHICLE FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS AFTER PAINTING. HAHAHAHAHA I FEEL PRETTY GOOD RIGHT NOW.... HEADACHE IS COMING ON THOUGH)

cady97dev is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Deville, 08 Envoy, 88 Lx Stang (Gone But Never Forgotten)

I have read this whole post and......No one has said how it holds up with an interior cleaning.....Can you us leather cleaner on it afterwards????

TSS

Wife's SLS shale is holding up really well too. So good, that I did my father-in-law's 01 DTS this weekend (SEM med. grey). Incredible stuff. The key is to take your time with the prep. The painting part is simple. The fumes do get to ya though.

Planedr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 STS

Quote Originally Posted by TSS View Post
    Wife's SLS shale is holding up really well too. So good, that I did my father-in-law's 01 DTS this weekend (SEM med. grey). Incredible stuff. The key is to take your time with the prep. The painting part is simple. The fumes do get to ya though.
    That SEM soap is good stuff, I started with a white washcloth and when I was done it was almost black. It even pulled some stains out of the back seat that looked like juice.
    Next is carpet. Anyone have any suggestions where to get new carpet?

TSS

^^

1. Leather holds up fine to cleaning and conditioning.

2. RE: carpets, SEM makes fabric/carpet dye just like the stuff we used for the leather! I saw it when I picked up my classic coat for leather and thought maybe I would try it on my wife's light colored floor mats . If I were you, since the leather stuff works so good, I would try the SEM dye before replacing the carpet. Good luck.

LAC_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS

I had done my seats with the SEM and it did look great, but when I took the car to get detailed a month or so later the guy said that I should have told him the seats were sprayed. When they sprayed the Lexol on it the SEM came right off. I called leatherique about getting therm to match the color. (You send a piece from under the seat and they match it for you) and even they said that alot of leather cleaners will pull up the dye/paint. You have to be carefull on what you use if you do anything to your seats.

TSS

^^ Something is not right. I have cleaned and conditioned mine and my inlaws several times with both Lexol and Zaino. No problems. I cannot speculate, other than maybe our prep process differed. I think the key is in the prep of the seats, not the painting so much - that part is easy. Maybe the detailers used something stronger to try and clean the seats before conditioning too. I feel bad for you regardless.

My "process": SEM Soap; simple green: SEM soap; simple green; simple green; paint. I basically doubled the recommended prep process to ensure I did not miss any spots - if not properly cleaned, dye will just basically sit on the surface.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Unfortunately something went wrong in my case as well!

I prepped the seats carefully with the SEM soap, and they looked awesome for a week... then THIS started happening.

My question is... how do I recover from this? Do I need anything else besides the SEM soap to prep it?

Also... what happened?

I gotta say the initial results were amazing. I cleaned the leather with the SEM soap and then the next morning applied the paint.

Unfortunately about 5 days later this happened (gruesome pics below!). Please advise as to what to do now--scrape all the paint off or only the parts that show chipping?

Help/advise is appreciated!

joe cat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I hit mine with sand paper, fill in the cracks with latex caulk, sand the caulk down ( make sure no silicon) Usually the cheapest caulk available.
    Sand down the cauk, wipe all down with alcohol and use house paint inted to match WORKS EXCELLENT!!!!

see pics here http://picasaweb.google.com/joecat44...ANDHOUSEPAINT#

The porsche seats were done in DURON semigloss house paint- I have done several cars since and just get a quart in the satin.

The semigloss does slightly fade to a nice shine with the help of wear and some cleaning.

Tips - Sand that seat down with like a 300 pad and then prep with alcohol- fill in all cracks and crevaces - you could even use a pointing knife to do the spreading and feathering- My next car i will try adding alcohol to the caulk to make it smother and quicker drying- Obviously wait overnight to start sanding the dry caulk depending on thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by joe cat View Post
    I hit mine with sand paper, fill in the cracks with latex caulk, sand the caulk down ( make sure no silicon) Usually the cheapest caulk available.
    Sand down the cauk, wipe all down with alcohol and use house paint inted to match WORKS EXCELLENT!!!!

see pics here http://picasaweb.google.com/joecat44...ANDHOUSEPAINT#

The porsche seats were done in DURON semigloss house paint- I have done several cars since and just get a quart in the satin.

The semigloss does slightly fade to a nice shine with the help of wear and some cleaning.

Tips - Sand that seat down with like a 300 pad and then prep with alcohol- fill in all cracks and crevaces - you could even use a pointing knife to do the spreading and feathering- My next car i will try adding alcohol to the caulk to make it smother and quicker drying- Obviously wait overnight to start sanding the dry caulk depending on thickness.
    Wow very clever and nice results!

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

well ive been watching this thread for about a year... so how is it all holding up???
    my seats arent that bad on my CTS but they are showing wear and i would like to refinish them, i also have to do this to my gfs jag , her driver seat needs a little help but the rest are almost new.

so lets hear the reviews...
    how long ago did you do it? how is it holding up? what have you used since to condition and clean it?
    basically, would you do it again on a car you are keeping? sounded like the OP was spraying seats on cars being sold...fresh look but for how long???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.