Roof/Sunroof leak. Drain tubes ???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Roof/Sunroof leak. Drain tubes ??? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I need help people, as some of you know, I live in South Florida, and the summer months (wich doesnt ...
    msta293412 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac sts

Roof/Sunroof leak. Drain tubes ???

I need help people, as some of you know, I live in South Florida, and the summer months (wich doesnt change here till like November) it not only is very hot, but it rains like in the Amazon, I mean Tropical downpours wich can flood roads inside of 15 minutes.....My point being, I have sunroof wich was leaking, I did blow out the drain holes etc, etc. The drain holes are functioning well, they are free and clear. But The other day we had one of those downpours and when I cam back to my car it was soaked inside......I think the sunroof seel is so bad, that during heavy rain fall, the drain holes (even when functioning properly) cant handle the load., and it comes in from the pillars, the rear handles, and even drips down the front window from the headliner.....Overflow I guess...Im ruining my enterior, any suggestions on how to re-weatherstrip my sunroof? Or any other input at all would be greatly appreciated.....Thankyou in Advance.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

derone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac STS

Re: Roof/Sunroof leak. HELP!

While most don't recommend blowing out the drain lines for fear of disconnecting them, others have recommended weed wacker line to clear the drain lines. I tried that and it just didn't work...not strong enough. I used picture frame hanging wire and purple power with water to clean mine. Hopefully yours are still intact.

I run water through them and see it draining below as it should. Its not the drains (theyr good) its the sunroof weather strip. It allows too much water through and the drains cant drain the water fast enough......

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

You might try posting your problem in a car forum rather than an engine forum.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Its Northstar...AND technical discussion..

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

.............and the headline fine print says: "Performance discussions relating to the Northstar System (intake, exhaust, cam, etc.)."

So, technically, you're in the wrong forum......and this thread goes in Seville, Deville, the Technical section, but not here..........

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

As far as I know you don't work on a Northstar engine through the sunroof.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

moved where it belongs

ok guys, I get it....

What happens if the drain tubes come off........It should flow the water out through that galley anyway correct?
    Or could that be why Im getting wet pillars and water over flowing from the head liner....

OK, Now we're on the right track in the correct forum........

Yes, when one or more drain tubes come off the nipples the water drains down onto the headliner and then finds its way through the low points to wherever it drips and soaks stuff, whether down the A-pillars or across the rear and down the interior sides and sail trim. The hoses are originally secured with wire ties but they eventually lose their grip, so now it's time to lower the headliner and fix the tubes.

BUT, the drain tubes can only handle so much, as in: drips. If the glass gasket is shot, nothing will drain off that amount of water in a t-storm and the tray will overflow, creating much the same problem as plugged tubes.

I sure hope you have a factory (Helm) service manual.

BIG ERN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 STS

it does sound like one became disconnected from the pan or somewhere along the pillar, it happened to me a real pita

Thanks SUB. Im not affraid to remove the headliner, but I think the sunroof seal is shot....remember, South Florida, 100 degree weather, lots of sun, humidity, rain......car has been here since its conception(2001)...so if I do all the work , it might not make a difference unless I fix the sunroof seal......I have to figure out witch one to tackle first....Thanks for all your input......

Something else......there was a post about this a short while ago......down under and inside the front fender area, where the front drain tubes exit, the poster said there were some sort of flapper valves on the ends of the drains, and these had curled and sealed shut. I went under and looked at mine.....no flappers, just open tubes. But it's a thought. The valves would probably be used to keep the tubes from gurgling when the ventilation system is on.....

A good aftermarket sunroof shop could easily replace the gasket/weatherstrip......it's a special bead with a seal ridge molded in.

straightrazorheaven is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Deville DHS

Thought I could add this here just in case anybody else looks this up and needs advice. Sorry if anybody gets annoyed about necromancing an old post but I hadn't seen this method adapted with the drill before and it seems like a good idea, especially as it made it way easier (I couldn't do this by hand).

You can use weed whacker line with warm soapy water to clean out the drain tubes. I pushed it down until I met a blockage then I clamped the line in to the chuck of my drill and slowly spun the line whilst pushing in and out to clear the blockage. I did this faster and faster until it was completely clear. You will need to use a stiff straw on the weed whacker line (run it inside the straw) to prevent it twisting whist you spin it and push it into the drain tube. The tube can now drain a liter in a couple of seconds, it was overflowing into my headliner with just rain ... Be careful as those tubes are made of rubber ... but this definitely worked for me ... good luck!
    Ben Davis likes this.

Good post - I'll move the thread to Cadillac Tech Tips.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.