1994-1999 Deville Blower Motor Replacement - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, 1994-1999 Deville Blower Motor Replacement in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Did you remove the coil packs or is that all you did? Thx...
    SwampTider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Sedan Deville

Re: 1994-1999 Cadillac Deville Blower Motor Replacement

Did you remove the coil packs or is that all you did? Thx

jlord9485 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS

I wanted to let you all know, by luck i found an extremely easy way to do all of this. Because of the age of the car, the plastic covering on the firewall had started to crack and chip away around the blower motor housing. I removed all of the cracked and chipped pieces because they were falling on the exhaust manifold and melting, which destroyed my o2 sensor. Once i removed the 3 screws that hold the blower in place, i noticed the lack of room problem. On the top of the housing there is a plastic access piece held in by 1 7mm bolt. once the plastic access piece was removed, the blower came out with almost no resistance. Basically, remove the 2 or 3 bolts that hold the plastic cover too the firewall around the blower motor. then remove the plastic access piece. Pictures are posted below.

The first picture is with the plastic access piece in place. The two bolts on the firewall are what hold the plastic covering of the whole housing on. Mine had cracked apart so I removed all of the cracked plastic.

The second picture is the actual piece i am talking about in my hand. The third picture is the blower motor hole with the access piece removed.
    Attached Images
    jjb2012 and jjb2012 like this.

SteveMeyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville STS

Regarding the rubber/plastic cover that is screwed to the firewall, and apparently surrounds the blower motor: I've always take my 94 Seville to the Cadillac dealer, but let my dad's mechanic take a shot at replacing a dead blower motor; said he could save me a boat load of money. Well, he fixed it, and I assume he put a new blower in, but he didn't save me any money. That was six months ago. Today, I put a new battery in myself, and noticed what appears to be the blower motor housing on the firewall is all broken up into dozens of pieces that someone appears to have tried to glue back together, and sprayed with black paint. I reach in to touch it and it crumbled. This appears to be made of rubber, and must be the cover mentioned in the earlier posts to this thread. I noticed today that I can smell engine oil in the car, and I am now wondering what this cover is actually. I'm thinking it is ligitimate duct work and it purpose is to channel air from the windshiled cowelling to the blower. I'm thinking that I might now be sucking air out of the engine compartment through the busted up rubber blower cover. What is this cover? Do I need it? Should I replace it? Can I replace it? Is the part even available?

Thanks.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: Blower motor?

So it's a success after all the history of AC problems from when i first bought this vehicle i *hopefully) have fully functioning brand new AC. from the compressor, to accumulator, orifice tube to high and low pressure switches, now to the damn blower motor.

So to recap, here's how the motor was replaced.

First the old one that needed to come out, see that little bastard staring you down? saying "haha good luck getting me out of here" Well, you little F***er, you're being evicted!

Start by disconnecting the negative battery cable:

Then the cross tower brace is outta there, see ya!

then the coil pack, 2 10mm bolts up front, 2 in the rear, 4 electrical connections on the left and right side of it

And she's off:

Next up is the vacuum solenoid/switches, 10mm bolt

Then the old blower motor which comes off in 3 pieces, observe.

First the heat shield, three 8mm bolts:

Then the outside five bolts holding it to the firewall. The bottom bolt is a pain in the ass, take a swig of beer and breathe deeply, gather your patience, if you get frustrated, calm down and walk away.

And that bastard is out:

Now to get the new one in the right camshaft cover has to come off no ifs and or buts, the good thing though is that i didn't have to disconnect the front torque strut to rock the engine forward, i used this for the rear 4 10mm bolts

And the new one installed, be careful in getting it in there, take your time and breath slowly, at this point if you have a buzz from the beer swigging, stop and wait for it to go away.

Denillac likes this.

Bogdan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville Concours 4.6 - 140,000 miles

I've replaced myself the blower motor on my deville 95 thanks to the knowledge posted here. I used the method given by jlord9485 and was the simplest and the fastest. That way you can fit the whole blower in with no problem regardless if is the new [3 bolts] or the old/original model [5bolt]. No issues with rubber cover which indeed crumbled. Old rubber will crumble and fall on exhaust and melt with a heavy rubber smell but this will not alter blower motor duct integrity. What can really alter is if you brake the plastic access part cover that's under the rubber cover and which you need to unscrew [1 bolt only] to have that room access as in the picture posted by jlord9485. Also when you replace that plastic access cover back pay attention as it have a snug fit position into the fire wall metal margin. Don't tight to much the 1 bolt plastic cover screw as you are tightening it on plastic...

If the replacing part is the 5 bolt blower motor one which doesn't have the heat shield protection as the new one has I advise to buy a thermo adhesive backed heat barrier which will cover and protect not only the blower but also the surrounding areas. I've used a 12x12 inches very convenient priced one find and purchased from Autozone for $11-Therma Tec.
    004 (800x600).jpg005 (800x600).jpg

For the ones who will take apart to 3 pieces the original blower for the convenience to fit in that tight space [without using jlord9485 method] and reassemble it after you need to be aware that putting it together in that tight space it makes it very difficult to have it back solid. There are 3 contact pins that you'll find easy to get into their seat but they really need to go all the way which is really a pain...you might think that you have them solid fit but not and the 3 bolts on the metal plate will not pull them into a solid fit either. If that happens the blower once installed will eventually decenter and break its cage and even damage the rotor. Happened to me but I was fortunate to have the cage only broken and have the spare cage taken from the deceased blower. Second time I've replaced the blower as a one solid piece using jlord9485 method. To be sure it is a solid fit you'll need to put the cage-rotor part and the 3 contact pins cover together at least before installation and because of that when you don't use jlord9485 will may need more room so the engine tilt might give you now this leverage.

Here is the blower rotor part and the 3 contact pins that need to get into the rotor contact seat. Pins will need to go all the way till you fill that pins cover is centered and solid stable into the 3 bolt holes position.
    blower mot.jpg

Here is the metal plate that will complete the fixed position in between the rotor, pin cover and the metal plate through the 3 bolts screws. If you did the solid fit part as described in the first picture you can leave and add the metal plate last so you can can have more space to screw the blower to the fire wall through the 5 bolts first. For this screw the 3 bolts directly into the cover so you assure rotor and cover stay well together then fix the blower to the fire wall, take out then the 3 bolts and have them back again with metal plate. You're done.

001 (800x600).jpg

abrag10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac Deville

Re: 1994-1999 Deville Blower Motor Replacement

I'm having trouble removing my blower motor on my '95 Deville with 4.9 liter engine. I'm wondering how I can drop the engine to make more room. I've looked and looked and can't find anywhere to place a jack to lower it.

mavric240 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Four Seasons has a blower motor 35121 that comes in two pieces. Using this design was a piece of cake to replace. I've seen the same part number using a one piece design so you will need to check what's in the box. The design I got was a motor with a pigtail and a aluminum flange with the electronics mounted on it. After removing the old one as indicated above install the new motor assembly in the hole, Slip the flange over the pigtail and motor. Using the supplied nuts attach the flange to the motor and then snap in the pigtail to the module on the flange. Next proceed to bolt up the new motor and reverse the removal directions to complete the install.

jaxwithanx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by mavric240 View Post
    Four Seasons has a blower motor 35121
    Did you order your Four Seasons blower from anywhere specific. I can find them much cheaper online but your comment about the same part number also being the one piece design has me gun shy to order through eBay or Amazon considering there is no real way to get those types of places to check the part first before ordering.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.