- 11-19-07 08:43 AM #1
How to Identify Northstar Power-Train parts
The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Derivative is located on the right front side of the engine block (1) and is a nine digit number stamped or laser etched onto the engine at the vehicle assembly plant. If reading the identification number the following information can be obtained:
• The first digit identifies the vehicle division.
• The second digit is the model year.
• The third digit identifies the assembly plant.
• The fourth through ninth digits are the last six digits of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
The engine verification label is placed in two locations on the right side of the engine.
The engine front cover has an engine verification label (1) and the front of the right camshaft cover has a traceability label (2).
The rear of the right camshaft cover has an engine verification label (1).
Engine ID and VIN Derivative Location
4.6L Engine VIN Derivative and Identification Locations
The engine code letter is the eighth digit of the VIN, which identifies the engine.
Stick-on labels attached to the engine, laser etching, or stampings in the engine block indicate the engine unit number/build code date.
The engine ID number will be located on the front of RH rocker cover or the RH side of oil pan rail (1), and the VIN derivative is located on the engine block in front of the transaxle extension (2).
Transmission ID and VIN Derivative Location (4T80E)
(1) Calendar Year
(2) Julian Date of the Year
(3) Shift and Line Number
(4) Calendar Year
(6) Serial Number in Base Code 31
(8) Broadcast Date
(10) Transaxle I.D. Tag Location
(11) Transaxle Partial Vin Location
- Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements