Northstar CranKshaft Position (CKP) sensor replacement - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Northstar CranKshaft Position (CKP) sensor replacement in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; While I' am a new member (I joined about a week ago) and I am definatly not a mechanic, I ...
    OccDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2 sevilles

Re: Northstar Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor replacement

While I' am a new member (I joined about a week ago) and I am definatly not a mechanic, I do have a good mechanical appitude and some decent mechanical skills. For about the last year year my Seville SLS has been stalling for no reason. As soon as I put it in nuteral and turned the key it started right up. So of course I put off taking it to the dealer. Recently it failed to start after stalling and often in the morning. I went to the cadillac forum and read about replacement of the cpk(s). I had a patient tell me why it stalled the way it did and the codes agreed. It sounded fairly simple. Last Friday I saw my last patient at about 11:15 AM So I told my receptionist not to take anymore appointments and went to the auto parts store (O'Rilley's, $102.00 for both sensors, borg warner lifetime warrenty). Took the car home. drove it up on ramps in my insulated heated garage and thought: an hour or so I'll be done.HA. I followed the procedures which I read in the forum. Everything went great...... until I started. I Took off the plastic guard under the facia,
    unbolted the lines across the front frame member and lowered them, removed the oil filter and tried to remove the filter adapter. ( I did not remove any frame mount bolts)......... well for the next 30 hours (not straight thru) I struggeled with the adapter. I have many tools and I didn't have to go buy any thing I didnt have, but it was a nightmare. When I would finally find a position where I could get a wrench on a bolt..... It would only turn about an 8th of an inch. Once I finally got the adapter off and could reach the sensor connectors that was another nightmare. Once the connectors were off it was clear sailing. Sensors came out with no problem and after lubing the "O" rings with new engine oil, they went in just as easily. after new "O' rings on the adapter and reassembling everything (which seemed much easier) I put a new filter in and changed the oil with MOBIL 1. I cleaned everything up and with my girlfriend as an audience.......I prayed it would start ( I had to listen to " why don't you just take it to the dealer" for the last 30 hours) I I put the key in, hesitated, then turned it. To my great surprise it started immediatly. Had a friend use use his scanner to teach it what it needed to know. It hasn't stalled or failed to start since. IS IT A JOB FOR A BEGINNER???? I just don't know. I guess if you have a lot of time and patience you can do it. I think if I had to do it again I could do it in a couple of hours since I've learned HOW to do it. The bottom line is this: although it was frustrating at times. I felt a sense of accomplishment when I finished. MY respect and regards to all you mechanics out there. Richard L. Cushing M.D. PS: it took some time to make my hand look presentable again!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You're not the first to discover that the CKP's can be a PITA. Thanks for the writeup........

BTW...............

OccDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2 sevilles

I just want to say that this site (Forum/owners group) is a great source of knowledge and was very helpful with my recent "PROJECT".
    Keep up the good work. I'm sure I'll be visiting and posting on here OFTEN. Thanks for the great Forum.
    OccDoc......... rc

HondaCBX6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '03 Deville

Exclamation re: Northstar Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor replacement

AJ or ANYONE who might have information...

I noticed your postings regarding the Crank Sensor problems of the series 3 Northstar motor. To make a long story short...

I bought my '03 from a freinds father who was dying of cancer last summer. It had 10.000 mile on it and was a beautiful car for the money. Anyhow I have had nothing but problems with the car not the least of which was this last problem with these sensors. Cadillac charged me $604 to replace the two sensors. I didn't seem right given I work at a sensor manufacturer and that got me thinking and browsing the internet for some answers. Anyway it seems like you know a thing or two about these sensors, the history, and what cadillac did to correct the problem. I feel as though they should have been replace for free since I see there was a letter to dealers stating as such. I understand it has bee a long time since then but they were never replaced back then because the person I bought the car from had it in storage and was ddying of cancer. Fast forward to this past week when I had the problems and the dealer never mentioned these problems they just charged the heck out of me for a replacement.

Anyway do you have more information besides what is posted here about this? I am almost sure that if Cadillac would have done the job correctly they would have told me about this KNOWN issue and made it right. Now I can not trust them or Cadillac. Can you help me with any further information/.documentation/links that might shed more light on what Cadillac did and for whom?

Thanks in advance.
    John
    PS did you or do you work for Cadillac?

re: Northstar Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor replacement

Your post has been answered in your identical question elsewhere.

re: Northstar Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor replacement

Thanks for nothing...

I would have expected somesing better than that?

I am new to this forum. Actually new to forums in general. This was the thread that matched my search hense the question.

With help like this I understand why I dislike forums.
    John

**concours** is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): concours

Are upper and lower sensors the same?

No Although they essentially do the same thing they are shaped differently in order to fit their position.

It depends on the year of the engine. For his DeVille Concours, which would be a 1999 or earlier VIN 9 engine, the sensors are the same.

2000+ have different sensors; one black, the other gray, which are a specific one-way fit, as are the electrical connectors. Earlier sensors are the same part number, and you have to be careful to connect the proper plug to the proper sensor.

bradmo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '96 Fleetwood, '01 DeVille, '77 Seville, '71 Coupe DeVille

Thank you so much, AGAIN!!!
    Did it the other day - not bad!
    The pictures were especially helpful!!

bwgerho is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado Touring Coupe

I am replacing the CKP's on my 2000 Eldo. Per above discussion, I removed oil filter, disconnected oil cooler lines, and filter adaptor, now ready to do the connector BUT how do you release the electrical connectors???? I do not want to force the issue and feel there must be an easy way to release the connector. Anyone have some suggestions????

Regards Bruce

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I think there is a tab you simply pry up on if I remember correctly. Looking at the new ones should give you an idea.

bwgerho is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado Touring Coupe

I replaced both CKP sensors on 2000 ETC. The procedure was much as described above - remove oil filter, if you have an ETC, then disconnect and plug the 2 oil filter cooler lines (if installed) (7/8 open end; corks 3/8 tapered to 1/4), remove oil filter adapter. Examine the new CKP - the electrical connector has the ramp lock so lift the side with the lock (bent and sharpened coat hanger) while prying the connector up with a screwdriver.
    The most useful tool for CKP removal is 10 mm 1/4 drive normal length socket with a short extension. The 1/4 drive equipment allowed room for my fat hands and the drive to turn the screws.
    I used the ACDelco replacements - did not need the "learn procedure": runs great, no codes, you have to look at the tach to verify the engine is running at idle.
    All in all, not a bad job, BUT allow several hours for to complete in your driveway.

danger seeker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville

Re: Northstar CranKshaft Position (CKP) sensor replacement

This thread helped out greatly when I did both sensors tonight on my 2002 deville. I dropped the front of the frame a few inches and was able to get in there with my medium-sized hands. Took me between 2-3 hours taking my time and eating dinner. The lower red tab I used a small flathead to help pull it out. The red tap on top was a bit trickier. I grabbed a screw and put in in my fingers and reached up there and used the head of the screw to help pull the red tab towards the front of the car.

I was having the P0335 code and my car stalled while I was idling. The car also took two or three tries to start every time I tried to start it. Code is now clear, and I haven't done the re-calibration. So far no codes (even though it has only been one night). Car does feel a little more responsive since replacing the sensors

Re: Northstar CranKshaft Position (CKP) sensor replacement

FWIW, those CKP's are the ignition and fuel injection timing triggers. If one or both is faulty and sets a Current DIC the PCM defaults timing to a fixed 10° BTDC - the "limp home" default setting. The car would be somewhat sluggish off-idle, fuel mileage would suffer, and the engine might tend to run a little warmer - not hot - warmer.

The CKP Relearn procedure is done by a GM dealer using the Tech-II program/scan electronic tool. Post #5.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.