Top Tier Gas - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Top Tier Gas in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Night Wolf I just have a hard time believing that would be an actual intake valve after ...
    AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Re: Top Tier Gas

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf View Post
    I just have a hard time believing that would be an actual intake valve after 10k miles (right?) seems like by 100k there would be nothing left of it....

With that said.... I've decided to take the 8 mintue journey to Chevron instead of the mini-mart station 30 seconds down the road.... plus its a penny or so cheaper.
    Dude
    I mean Dude in a surfures voice
    I will post pictures. Like Dude Its a Northstar

Highway Star is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Coupe Deville

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Highway...........Who's selling branded AMOCO? I thought they were absorbed by BP (British Petroleum) a couple of years ago. ?????????? If Shell ate the fuel unit in an Explorer, how come the other 1.765 quadrillion Explorers don't have the same problem???? Seems to me that Shell is (even if it IS a Netherlands company) one of the last of the "American" brands. QUICK.......! Name all the American oil companies from ......1955. < NEW THREAD !!!!
    There's plenty of Amoco branded stores here in NC.

As to the Explorer, it would spark knock/ping on just about everything except Shell 93 octane. That's all we used in it for several years until we sold it. Shell is probably fine to use now though, as that sulfer problem was corrected some time ago.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I have never had an allegiance to any brand. I burn what ever is convenient and the best price. Never had any fuel related problems. Then again, I am a bit of a skeptic when it comes to the "best" gas or oil. Just my $0.02 FWIW.

thu
    thu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville

I have the same experience as Ranger. After 600,000 miles of driving, I have never had a fuel-related problem. This is across five vehicles.

I, too, am a skeptic of 'best' gas. Sounds like it's the 'best' gas for sucking money out of your wallet.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    Dude
    I mean Dude in a surfures voice
    I will post pictures. Like Dude Its a Northstar
    huh?

I was talking about the picture Chevron shows with the intake valve after 10k miles.....

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade on Order

I didn't see Exxon or Mobil on the Top Tier list. I am glad I switched from Mobil to Chevron!

SG

The Pictures below are from a GM service bulletin about TOP TIER.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
    Shell gasoline ruined the gas gauge (or sending unit) in our Explorer some years ago. It's about the only top tier in my area, but I'm not likely to use it anymore. I mostly use Amoco now, but it's not on the list. I'll have to check around and see what's available.
    http://216.182.211.32/techlink/image...e.html#story17

MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

I too switched to Shell gas, and my 91 was quick and powerful. If the world's top auto companies such as BMW or Toyota recommend it, there's got to be a reason. Put in some Sunoco 94 in a bind, now my engine runs like garbage, and nobody knows why.

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

As as added note, I posted a thread in the Forum regarding my recent NJ-FL-NJ round trip in the Deville - on the trip, I put in Shell, Chevron and Texaco gas at the various stops up and down I-95 and in Port St Lucie - and the mileage on my return trip was a rather suprising 28 MPG - this at 70-75 and full on AC..

We have a lot of Sunoco stations around here, and thats where we both tend to fill up, as a local station with a half-way decent price is on both of our commutes. Its nice fresh gas usually, since the refinery is about 20 minutes up the road.

If we had more options for gas, I'd probably try one of the T/T brands, just to see if there was any mileage or driveablity changes. As for our normal day to day stuff, I haven't had any problems with Sunoco regular, and have used it all my life.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

The images are gone, any chance you can repost?

Question: Is the top tier fuels ALL octane/grades? Or Premium fuel only? It isn'tlisted. And FWIH the "branded" stations that are not corp stations do NOT have to run the branded fuel in all grades, only the Premium grade.

True? False? When I see a top tier station that has brand x on it and the same fuel tanker serves it and the el cheapo station 2 doors down, how on earth do you know what you are getting?

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

hey N, tech tips isnt for questions http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...here-they.html
    thanks

stillen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I purchase top tier gas mostly from Chevron and can tell the difference to me Chevron is the best also use this gas in my lawnmowers and leaf blower then run more free and with more power.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The entire Top Tier concept, methodology, and requirements for pump identification are covered in the technical papers posted in the first third of this thread.

There is no news from the gasoline wars that would add substantially to what is already posted here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.