Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, 2004 SRX AWD V8 rear brake change DIY in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Since I couldn't find any posts on brake changes for the SRX, other than people chewing through brakes on a ...
- 04-14-07 04:27 PM #1Cadillac Owners Fanatic
- Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8 Ultraview MRC
- Join Date
- May 2004
2004 SRX AWD V8 rear brake change DIY
Since I couldn't find any posts on brake changes for the SRX, other than people chewing through brakes on a regular basis, I thought I would share my experience with the rear brake change on my 2004 SRX V8 AWD.
1. I jacked up the rear right, popped tire off, loosened the master cylinder cap, got out my 18mm wrench and socket and removed the 2 bolts that hold the caliper on. VERY SIMPLE!!! regular tools fit, no knuckle breaking here.
2. I put a hose on the bleed nipple and loosened the nut (10mm) a little and gave the caliper pressure to help get the caliper off. it moved easily, and fluid flowed through the hose, tightened it up and popped the caliper off. did to a little banging, but it was simple. I mean really simple.
3. pads were shot, inside worse than outside, naturally.
4. took care of the rotors.
5. grab your favorite C-clamp, or caliper compression tool and carefully press the piston back into the caliper housing. NO TOOL NEEDED!!! I opened the bleeder nipple to make this even easier and better for the system.
So happy I didn't have to use my cube to screw the piston back in, I didnt even have to remove the ebrake cable, or loosen it.
6.. new pads popped in place in about 30 seconds.
7. Set the caliper back in place, bled the brakes, and popped the tire back on.
8. Repeat on other tire.
This took me about 45 minutes to do both wheels (combined), maybe an hour max.
I am not a mechanical whiz, but I have changed my share of brakes, and I will say this was easy.
Test drive, brakes work as advertised.
This is a basic overview, but I think it tells the story when looking at the brake setup.
- 04-14-07 04:45 PM #2Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
- Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V
- Join Date
- Mar 2003
- San 'tone, TX
+ Reply to Thread
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts
- PowerTorque Tools - Universal Joint Set
Universal Joint Set - 3 Piece; 1/4 Inch, 3/8 Inch, 1/2 Inch
- PowerTorque Tools - Ratchet Handle & Socket Set
Ratchet Handle & Socket Set - 14 Piece; 1/4" Drive Ratchet Handle & Metric Socket Set
- PowerTorque Tools - Pliers
Pliers - 5 Inch; LockMore on PowerTorque Tools - Pliers