How to: more than quadruple the range of your car remote(fast & free too)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, How to: more than quadruple the range of your car remote(fast & free too) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I got fed up with the weak remote range with my 1998 Deville and I decided to "fix" it. The ...
    weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

How to: more than quadruple the range of your car remote(fast & free too)

I got fed up with the weak remote range with my 1998 Deville and I decided to "fix" it. The box circled in red is the remote receiver, I know this because my car stops responding to my remote when I unplugged it. You have to remove your rear seat in order to get access(refer to my upcoming stereo guide in the audio/video section), the entire job takes about half an hour, you'll need any kind of thin wire(20~16 gauge) and a way to attach wire to a piece of conducting metal. I just used a broken clock's powercord and two small crimp connectors in my toolbox.

Once the seat is removed you can pop this little box off easily by pressing the two top plastic tabs downward. Flip it over and you'll see a small metal clip - that is the receiver's antenna. Simply crimp or solder a piece of wire to each end and you're done. The range of the improvement depends on the length of your wires and where you put them, I crimped two 20" pieces of typical lamp wires to each end and evenly ran them horizontally and around the black rack. I now can lock my car in my room, my car is more than 50 feet away and there are four walls between us.

As for exactly how far you can extend the range, technically if you run enough wires in your car or used an actual powered radio antenna you can probably boost the range to over 100 feet. Just make sure you don't press it accidentally.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Re: How to: more than quadruple the range of your car remote(fast & free too)

I think this was posted once before.

However, thanks for the info and pics
    Ownership:
    91 Brougham d'Elegance 350
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

eyekandyboats.inc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)

better idea. try this out
    walk until it is out of range. make sure it is and then press the remote to your head and hit the trunk release. 100% of the time it will open. . . i have done it from 120 feet away. and there is zero labor involvd

xxpinballxx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville 1999, 2004

I don't see why I would want to unlock my car before I even get to where i can see it....I would rather it not unlock until I am about to open the door....

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

its a coolness factor...

92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

thats probably why they made the remotes able to work only at limited range just in case you press it on accident or being too far from the car and unlocking it so someone else has a chace of getting in.

any one try this out yet ( head to remote )

Mark Bunds is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS

The head to remote trick really does work. I heard, though, that you were supposed to open your mouth and plant the remote firmly under your chin, then press a button. I have done this from 200 feet away in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Amazing!

weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

Well maybe it's my car but my remote reception is especially bad, sometimes my car won't respond even if I stand next to the car, probably because I removed those foil antenna strips. Besides the accidental button pressing, if I forget where I parked I can press the lock button and my horn would sound, so it's a trade-off for the better in my situation.

btw can someone let me in on the forehead remote thing? I don't get it

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Can you get some addition feet if you stick your tongue out too?

My Fleetwood RKE range is around 10 feet. Pathetic. Most of the time it isn't an issue, but there are times I would like to be able to open it for the kids and not leave the house to do it.

I think the FW is similar to the write up you posted. Thanks! Now as long as I don't keep coming out to my car with the trunk open because I sat on my keys I am good!

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

For some reason the remote control topic just begs a jocular response as evidenced by a similar post.
    I like to be closer to my car when I activate the remote. I know I've accidently opened the trunk, gas cap etc when putting my keys in my pocket. I'd rather be close enough to notice it.

Thanks for the tip.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ighlight=range

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

jokes aside, the FOB to chin really works.

lol we know

greg-sls is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 SLS

Hi Wiester42,
    I have the same problem with my 97 Seville. I like your concept and plan on trying this with my car. What I dont know how to do is remove the back of the back seat. It is leather and I don't want to damage it. Can you post more instructions on how to remove the seatback?
    Thanks - Greg

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by greg-sls View Post
    Hi Wiester42,
    I have the same problem with my 97 Seville. I like your concept and plan on trying this with my car. What I dont know how to do is remove the back of the back seat. It is leather and I don't want to damage it. Can you post more instructions on how to remove the seatback?
    Thanks - Greg
    you should ask in Seville.
    this forum is not for questions
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...here-they.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.