STS-V and XLR-V at the 1/4 mile Drag Strip! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, STS-V and XLR-V at the 1/4 mile Drag Strip! in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by chevelle You must be nuts or have no concept of what an 11.0-12.0 car is like. Even ...
    M.A.C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS-V8

Re: STS-V and XLR-V at the 1/4 mile Drag Strip!

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle
    You must be nuts or have no concept of what an 11.0-12.0 car is like. Even a Z06 isn't that quick and it is 1000 pounds lighter and is not a four door luxury car. Quit reading magazines and go to the drag strip and see what a production luxury 13.1 second car is like.
    Don't get me wrong, 13.1 is quick but I would expected better.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Then honestly you were a bit delusional if you were expecting 11.xx.

obzidian is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

a stock c6 zo6 WILL fo 11'z, no questions asked.....

a stock c5 z06 has ALSO done 11'z with a good driver behind the wheel and in control of the pedals...

BMW and MB's both have cars that rival the sts-v'z weight and body style, both have similar or in this case, more hp than the sts'v but its not that far behind. The e55 will do a solid low 12 and even a high, high 11. The m5 is also very quick, and will pull on the mb e55.

I personally placed it closer to a 12.5 than a 13.0...

Its still a VERY sweet car but the times, though very respectful, not quite what i had in mind. She likes to spin of the line and the TC isn't quite on the same level as the MB'z. MAybe with a set of dr she'll do a nice 12.5 but again, im a bit disappointed.

Now, if i had a choice, i would take a HARD look at the STS-V and not just overlook it and go straight for the german duo. I like cadillac and im not a bmw or MB kind of guy.... the aftermarket is probably gonna be non existant for the m5 while the e55 has some nice upgrades that get you into the 11'z. Is there an aftermarket for the STS-V? Maybe, its got a blower and it only needs a pulley swap to get it going faster but there is always the issue of a tune....

oh well, tough choice either way...

Quote Originally Posted by obzidian
    a stock c6 zo6 WILL fo 11'z, no questions asked.....
    Its still a VERY sweet car but the times, though very respectful, not quite what i had in mind.
    Pretty much my thoughts. I would take a STS-V over any of the cars you mentioned but I still think Cadillac can do better as far as performance.

Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG has a 5.4-liter that produces the same horses (469) as the STS-V but is capable of doing 0-60 in 4.2, compared to the STS-Vís 4.7. Though the weight of the AMG is 190 less at (4200lb). Also, the AMG gets slightly better gas mileage and has 516 lb-ft. of torque, which is a nice increase over the STS-Vís 439 lb-ft.

The STS-V, while a great automobile, still has room for improvement.

1fastSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

STS-V times are extremely impressive, theres room for improvement right there with that crappy 2.0 60ft...shit i was getting 1.9's on my FWD supercharged regal GS with street tires...knock that STS-V RWD 60ft to 1.8's and ur in the 12's! its only 4.4L displacement. This is cadillacs first production supercharged car...give it some time man! this is a huge step for cadillac. and 470hp is conservative, isnt that how it always is when a car first comes out??? i wouldnt doubt it if the STS-V is a huge selling hit, them increasing the displacement back to 4.6 again after they see how well the transmision and engine handle the loads... and cranking out another 30hp with diff cams or exhaust etc.. the 2006 STS-V is basically a gineua pig !
    you guys wait and see!

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastSTS
    STS-V times are extremely impressive, theres room for improvement right there with that crappy 2.0 60ft...shit i was getting 1.9's on my FWD supercharged regal GS with street tires...knock that STS-V RWD 60ft to 1.8's and ur in the 12's! its only 4.4L displacement. This is cadillacs first production supercharged car...give it some time man! this is a huge step for cadillac. and 470hp is conservative, isnt that how it always is when a car first comes out??? i wouldnt doubt it if the STS-V is a huge selling hit, them increasing the displacement back to 4.6 again after they see how well the transmision and engine handle the loads... and cranking out another 30hp with diff cams or exhaust etc.. the 2006 STS-V is basically a gineua pig !
    you guys wait and see!
    I suspect the STS-V will be tweaked and times will drop substantially. I don't know why Cadillac is using 4.4L displacement except that they are experimenting with smaller engines. When the Northstar first hit the market it produced more horsepower per cubic liter than any other engine. It was a giant step forward in technology. Cadillac should not necessarily give up on the 4.6L yet. That extra .2L can be the difference between wins and loses.

I think the styling of the STS is pretty nice. I'm sure the interior will also be tweaked and refined. I think if Cadillac plays its cards right the STS will be the hottest car in its class, especially if they can keep the price below Mercedes and BMW.

1fastSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

well MAC, the smaller displacement is a decrease in the cylinder bore.in this case it went from 93 to 91 millimeters. This is for strength purposes...cadillac figures, hell we slap a blower on since the blower puts a increased load of stress on the engine especially if there is detonation, increase HP figures to 100 plus more and TQ figures substantially more so than our normal 4.6 northstar. So since this has never been done before, its smart to take a conservative approach. See how well it does in the market and see how little problems occur with the motor ...if any. im sure somewhere they are test and tuning a 4.6L supercharged northstar to see how well it holds up under heavy acceleration .. any knock retarding occuring etc...and if they feel no issues will arise, they will pop it on the market with More Hp etc...which will attract buyers even more. I mean the Hemi did it with the 300C with what 350hp? now they have the SRT-8 300C with 425 hp i think... a yr later! b.c the 300C was a big selling hit. So they can put the effort into it now!
    i think cadillac is trying to avoid what Ford did with thier OHV mustang engine where there was a recall.
    maybe cadillac wont increase it a year later...but there will def. be a increase in the future!

oh and btw...Gm isnt giving up on the Northstar at all....A engine that works and is proven stays! ex. the LS1...its a proven engine that makes serious HP, found in the camaro and corvette. then they decided to pop it into the GTO and the CTS-V. Gm trademark 3.8 V6...a buick motor, supercharged or naturally aspirated. now then they started putting them in the monte, impala, bonneville, GTP, almost ever car, b.c its a quality engine, made good power, excellent reliability, it works.

Northstar motor you only saw in the cadillac! a 4.0 version in oldsmobile. but, now the buick lucerne was given the 4.6L northstar. and i think some pontiac was given it also, so now its being used more. its def. a engine that will stick around!

annie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 STS green-98 ESC white-94 sts green

this is why cadillac needs super Vs

Video - Stock SL65 runs high 11... - Mercedes

That guy must not know how to drive because he had 604hp 738lb-ft in a 4564lb car and only got an 11.66 et.

This guy took a 4610lb 4 door sedan with only 493hp and only 590lb-ft and got very similer numbers.

http://videos.streetfire.net/categor...59F60019A7.htm
    Video - Mercedes S600 running high 11s and smoking everyone - Mercedes

When cadillac comes out with the super V they can look to mercedes to see what they would need to get into that low 11-12second teritory

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Guys, listen, bottom line is Caddy has these 70k cars that are ruled by their damned comps. Fuey on that.

The nsupercharged N* still leaves nothing to build on.

Am I right?

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Damn it R Rob you need to be here to handle these ?

annie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 STS green-98 ESC white-94 sts green

Cadillacs do great when comparing each cadillac model vs the car it is saposed to compete with. Just some examples :
    1. xlr vs sl500= cadillac wins on price and performance
    2. cts 3.6 vs bmw 330 vs benz c 320= cts wins on price and performance
    3. sts vs 545 vs e500 vs gs 430 vs m45= most competitive segment but sts shows it is the = of all its cometition
    4. srx vs fx45 vs x5 vs rx330= the srx needs a little atention but is close to being great
    5. escilade vs all comers= ***ettaboutit escilade rules
    6. V vs AMG vs M= Vs destroy all on price and = or win on performace
    only problem with Vs is that benz has super fast verstions of thier standered AMG models but super Vs will handle that.

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by annie
    Cadillacs do great when comparing each cadillac model vs the car it is saposed to compete with. Just some examples :
    1. xlr vs sl500= cadillac wins on price and performance
    2. cts 3.6 vs bmw 330 vs benz c 320= cts wins on price and performance
    3. sts vs 545 vs e500 vs gs 430 vs m45= most competitive segment but sts shows it is the = of all its cometition
    4. srx vs fx45 vs x5 vs rx330= the srx needs a little atention but is close to being great
    5. escilade vs all comers= ***ettaboutit escilade rules
    6. V vs AMG vs M= Vs destroy all on price and = or win on performace
    only problem with Vs is that benz has super fast verstions of thier standered AMG models but super Vs will handle that.
    i disagree with 2,3 and 6
    2. CTS 3.6 can no longer compete with bmw's new 330i, c350, g35, or is350 in terms of performance or quality of material
    As for v vs amg and m, c55 and m3 are close to cts-v but rs4, m3 csl, and possible c63 amg will all beat the v in performance and quality.
    3. 545 and e500 have been both replaced with 550i and E550. Both are much higher output engine than northstar v8.
    6. STS-V lacks severly against CLS55/63AMG, E55/63AMG, and M5.

mallettv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Actually the STS-V beat the CLS55 in a comparo... and also the M5 is just ugly. regardless how fast it is. Cadillac is better... Thank You... Goodbye

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mallettv
    Actually the STS-V beat the CLS55 in a comparo... and also the M5 is just ugly. regardless how fast it is. Cadillac is better... Thank You... Goodbye
    not even close in performance figures. As for styling and interior quality, i think imo that belongs to cls. Only reason sts-v beat the cls is probably due to the huge price gap between the two

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.