Road & Track STS-V article
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Road & Track STS-V article in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I just got the new R&T magazine in the mail and they have a article about the STS-V. Here's the ...
    Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Road & Track STS-V article

I just got the new R&T magazine in the mail and they have a article about the STS-V. Here's the performance stats they got for it

0-60 mph: 4.7 sec
    1/4: 13.2 sec @ 107.5 mph
    Skidpad: .83 g
    Slalom: 65.8

They also noted the head to head section with cars in the same class and they put in the MB E55 AMG and the SRT-8 300C. These are the numbers they have listed for the two cars

E55 AMG:
    0-60 mph: 4.2 sec
    1/4: 12.4 @ 116.4 mph

SRT-8 300C:
    0-60 mph: 4.9 sec
    1/4: 13.3 @ 108.2 mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SRT8/BMW is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Road & Track STS-V article

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout
    I just got the new R&T magazine in the mail and they have a article about the STS-V. Here's the performance stats they got for it

0-60 mph: 4.7 sec
    1/4: 13.2 sec @ 107.5 mph
    Skidpad: .83 g
    Slalom: 65.8

They also noted the head to head section with cars in the same class and they put in the MB E55 AMG and the SRT-8 300C. These are the numbers they have listed for the two cars

E55 AMG:
    0-60 mph: 4.2 sec
    1/4: 12.4 @ 116.4 mph

SRT-8 300C:
    0-60 mph: 4.9 sec
    1/4: 13.3 @ 108.2 mph

do they have slalom/skidpad numbers for the other two?

MrEr1c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

what issue of road and track is this?

and im sorry to inform r&t but the srt8 300c is most definately NOT in the same class as the Cadillac STS-v...

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

From what I understand, the STS-V has an adaptable transmission (if that's the right term) that adapts to the driver's habits, right? So those numbers posted might be the slowest the car can go until some leadfoot gets a hold of one

Meanwhile, I just don't see a stock STS-V matching the numbers of the Benz...Ever...

rodster111 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V and 1998 Seville STS

I just got that issue and read the article - it was nice to see a magazine article review the STS-V so favorably, most of the others have seemed to focus on what they don't like about it or how they felt it fell short of what it should have been. I saw one at the Philadelphia Auto Show, and it is absolutely stunning to look at both inside and out, if I was willing to part with $77,000 right now I'd have it in a second. I have no doubts if I ever drove one I'd be thinking up ways to aquire it. Illumina - I agree, with the STS-V having "only" 439 lb-ft of torque it just wont beat the 516 lb-ft the AMG has. I personally still prefer the Cadillac anyway for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is my life-long obsession and love of Cadillacs. MB certainly has the acceleration crown monopoly for the past few years thoough.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEr1c
    what issue of road and track is this?

and im sorry to inform r&t but the srt8 300c is most definately NOT in the same class as the Cadillac STS-v...
    based on what ?? same performance (actually, looks like srt8 will beat it in skidpad, slalom, on any track) has all the same options that AI can tell?

Don't get me wrong, i am seriously considering the v for my next car, but I am having a hard time seeing what the extra $30k getsw me. I have been to the dealership twice to look at on..

Quote Originally Posted by illumina
    From what I understand, the STS-V has an adaptable transmission (if that's the right term) that adapts to the driver's habits, right? So those numbers posted might be the slowest the car can go until some leadfoot gets a hold of one

Meanwhile, I just don't see a stock STS-V matching the numbers of the Benz...Ever...
    true! SRT8 has the same....

Bigplay is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade, 2014 CTS V-sport Premium

Quote Originally Posted by SRT8/BMW
    based on what ?? same performance (actually, looks like srt8 will beat it in skidpad, slalom, on any track) has all the same options that AI can tell?

Don't get me wrong, i am seriously considering the v for my next car, but I am having a hard time seeing what the extra $30k getsw me. I have been to the dealership twice to look at on..
    Maybe he's not thinking performance but the different classes the cars are in. The V being a luxury car and the SRT8 being near luxury. There is a difference in like you have to buy options on the srt8 as the caddy comes with everything and it better for 77k

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

It WAS a nice article. I find it odd that the performance is so much better than I had heard before but what the hell. Seems like a nice enough car but I think I'd stay with the SRT-8 myself. It just has the hottest looks, and one killer exhaust note! Plus, I like the price a LOT better.
    As for the SRT-8 and STS-V not being in the same class, IMO, these days, it's virtually impossible to nail most cars down to any "specific" class. They are all over the place. It's just not like it used to be. Nothing's simple anymore when it comes to cars.

rodster111 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V and 1998 Seville STS

I know Katshot - I found it surprising that Road and Track got such good performance numbers on the STS-V also, most of the time the Road and Track numbers are slower/less impressive than Motor Trend, Car & Driver, etc.

Before I bought my CTS-V I drove a 300C as I really liked the stying on them and I was very impressed with the power and handling of the car, but decided on the CTS-V eventually because I am and have always been a Cadillac addict and I just LOVE the stying of the V, plus the handling just felt a little sharper to me. Oddly, I really don't like shifting a manual and I still got the V even though I couldn't get an automatic in it. Things might have turned out differently if the SRT-8 had been available when I bought my V and I had test driven it.

I really, really like the STS-V, and it likely would suit me perfect in every respect, but I have a real problem with the price. If it was 5 to 10k less it would be a no-brainer for me. As much as I like the looks of the STS-V though, I still think the CTS-V has the edge in looks, the sharper lines appeal to me more than the softer lines of the STS-V.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplay
    Maybe he's not thinking performance but the different classes the cars are in. The V being a luxury car and the SRT8 being near luxury. There is a difference in like you have to buy options on the srt8 as the caddy comes with everything and it better for 77k
    I don't know the answers..I just raised the question. He said, emphatically, the srt8 is not in the same class. The only diff I can see is price. I own the srt8 and literally on the verge of ordering the sts-v (I like cars...its a sickness!) the srt8 is a full size luxury sedan and has all the options, rain sensing wipers, nav system, 6 disc in dash cd with mp3, bluetooth wireless handsfree phone, back up assist, heated seats, tire pressure monitor, satellite radio, rear seat dvd entertainment system..etc, etc...

The caddy seems to have all the same stuff, roughly same times on 0-60 and 1/4 mile, lesser stats on skid pad and slalom and some subjective reviews that question it's handling (I will attach if you want to see).

I absolutely LOVE the looks of the Caddy. I am just having a hard time justifying the extra $30K (i paid 47K for mine).

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

I'm not sure what constitutes luxury vs. near luxury but I'm sure a forum expert will chime in to help us. IMHO the SRT-8 is more luxurious than the CTS-V in every way. For some that's great, for some not. The CTS-V OWNS the sport luxury category for cars in it's price range.

I've sat in and looked over an STS-V and frankly I was disappointed. Not appreciably larger than the CTS-V and frankly about the same size as the SRT-8. The interior is nice (nicer than the CTS-V) but not $30,000 nicer than the SRT-8. The performance numbers are the biggest let down. Slower than both the SRT-8 and the CTS-V.

If you're in this price bracket you give up too much getting the STS-V vs. it's competition even with the price break. If this is an aspirational purchase then I don't think you're getting enough to justify the $30K increase vs. a CTS-V or SRT-8. Frankly the STS-V OWNS no category, it's an also ran.

I was hoping you'd weigh in on this CVP33, being that you have owned both a v and an 8.

I kinda feel like you just said...even though I love the look of the sts-v..I am having a hard time figuring out what the extra $30k gets. Debating to keep the srt8, which I love anyway, and do some mods..

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

These are tough issues for sure. IMO, the type of car that is able to command those high prices needs to have a certain amount of cache associated with it and I just don't know if Cadillac has that (yet).
    I mean, I know it sounds lame but a M5 and E55 cost more because they're long time players in that league. It's kind of like, if you have a rookie quarterback show up one season, and he "seems" to be as good as your veteran quarterback, would you be paying the rookie as much as the veteran? Maybe eventually, but not at first, and certainly not the first season.
    Cadillac is new to this league and I find it very presumptuous (sp) of them to assume that they can just waltz in and command even "similar" prices for their car. They need to prove themselves first, THEN they will deserve the higher price.

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

could you imagine how many sales they would snag for the STS-V at 63-65k out the door. That would be a great way to build a following imo. As long as the product doesnt break constantly

Id buy one for 65k

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.