Couple of questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By parker34
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Couple of questions in Cadillac V-Series Forums; 1) I was filling up with gas today (which is a very frequent event nowadays) and my family was getting ...
    parker34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V and 2003 Escalade, 2005 STS4 1sg (sold)

Couple of questions

1) I was filling up with gas today (which is a very frequent event nowadays) and my family was getting hot and one of them told me to start the car up. I hesitated, because I try to avoid even filling up with the engine running much less starting it up while actually pumping. I went ahead and started it up. When I got back in the car the fuel gauge was not reading (consequently the miles to empty was also not reading). I figured it would work itself out on the way home. It didn't. Could this really have messed up the sending unit or something in that system or does it have to do with the car computer, as I know it is pretty finicky.

2) My front tires are wearing very badly on the inside edges. I hadn't noticed it until today because the car doesn't feel out of alignment, so I never really checked for uneven wear. Could it still be out of alignment that bad and not showing any signs of it while driving? If not then I guess the wear would have to be due to a bad component in the front end (suspension?).

3) Not a question but just got her detailed last weekend and just wanted to post a couple pics. Ran into some problems during that too but I think it turned out great.

Thanks for any feedback/help
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

baller95 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 00 DTS, 07 STS-V & 06 ESV Platinum

Re: Couple of questions

1) I don't know what happened but filling up a gasoline engine while it's on start is never a good thing.

2) Bad alignment is likely.

3) What problems did you run into with the detail? Getting mine detailed on Monday so I'm curious.

Nice car by the way!

Thanks! I was getting a good compound/polish job done to get most of the scratches out. The guy who was working on it kept having problems with scratches not coming out that should easily come out. He worked on the hood alone for 2-3 hours and still didn't get the results he was looking for. Turns out the person who owned it before us apparently got a thing called opti-coat installed. Opti-coat can be good if done 100% correctly, but it usually isn't done perfectly. It looks like the previous owner had a bad compound/polish job done and ended up having many scratches coated over with the new permanent coating so the guy who was doing it this time couldn't get those scratches out because they were effectively under this thick coating. That's the short story and while some of the scratches remained, he was not too happy with the results, but I am happy since it livened up the dull finish it had prior.

Zl700 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS-Vsport
    My family would strangle me if I shut the AC off during filling in 100 degree weather. Never shut it off and never will. If it was a real danger, fires would be happening regularly. Unlike in the movies, a lit cigarette thrown into a pool of gasoline will go out.

A lot of old wives tails involving filling and cars running, that includes cellphones too. As a past fire officer, car fires start from sparks at the nozzle to filler neck. Of course that's mostly old old cars as fill necks and receptors today are plastic and rubber. Not to say a spark can't happen which is eliminated by grounding hand to car while holding nozzle.

Yeah I'm not so worried about a fire starting from me leaving the engine on as I am worried about messing something up like what happened today. The chances of it causing a fire are very very low.

baller95 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 00 DTS, 07 STS-V & 06 ESV Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by parker34 View Post
    Thanks! I was getting a good compound/polish job done to get most of the scratches out. The guy who was working on it kept having problems with scratches not coming out that should easily come out. He worked on the hood alone for 2-3 hours and still didn't get the results he was looking for. Turns out the person who owned it before us apparently got a thing called opti-coat installed. Opti-coat can be good if done 100% correctly, but it usually isn't done perfectly. It looks like the previous owner had a bad compound/polish job done and ended up having many scratches coated over with the new permanent coating so the guy who was doing it this time couldn't get those scratches out because they were effectively under this thick coating. That's the short story and while some of the scratches remained, he was not too happy with the results, but I am happy since it livened up the dull finish it had prior.
    Oh that must have been a pain! Yeah I don't think mine has any of that stuff so I should be ok.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Yeah I'm not so worried about a fire starting from me leaving the engine on as I am worried about messing something up like what happened today. The chances of it causing a fire are very very low.
    Starting it while filling is not likely what caused the problem. I don't know what did, but that's probably not it.

All I know is it was working before I stopped and after I got done filling it wasn't. I was told the needle also was not moving up in relation to me filling the tank. You wouldn't think it would cause this problem but who knows...something caused it.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

All I know is it was working before I stopped and after I got done filling it wasn't. I was told the needle also was not moving up in relation to me filling the tank. You wouldn't think it would cause this problem but who knows...something caused it.
    Hello parker34,

This is very interesting! Have you thought about taking it to the dealership to see if they can diagnose the vehicle? Please let me know if you would like my assistance. Just shoot me a PM.

Katie O.
    Cadillac Customer Care

06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

#1 hmmmm...
    #2 is not necessarily a bad alignment... The spec for our front wheels does call for a bit of neg camber causing premature tire wear on the inner tread. This is also true for the Grand Sport Corvette and other high performance models.
    What some people do is align the fronts to standard specs, since most of us aren't road coursing our rides, and keeping the tire wear even. If you take it to an alignment shop, ask them to align the front to a standard STS rather than the V spec.
    #3 Looking good bud!

chouston3v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V

Ive done that before in other cars where I would fill them up and it wouldnt read right until I turned the car off for a second then it would read correctly. If that doesnt help try unplugging the negative on the battery for a few minutes then try turning it on again.

Thanks for the info. It's about time for some new tires all around anyways. I'll look into them aligning it as standard spec when I get that done. Yeah I unplugged the battery and left it off for a while this past sunday and it fixed the problem...meant to update earlier. Just glad it worked!
    chouston3v likes this.

theotherguyssn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 sts-v
    Filling gas tank while key on or car running will cause fuel gauge to mess up need to make sure car is a the way off when filling seen it many times (tech at Chevy dealership) ECM doesn't reset as it should if car is filled while on or running recommend refilling all way up with car off

Rboughne1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V: Spectre intake, Borla exhaust, TC headers, Tune

Quote Originally Posted by theotherguyssn View Post
    Filling gas tank while key on or car running will cause fuel gauge to mess up need to make sure car is a the way off when filling seen it many times (tech at Chevy dealership) ECM doesn't reset as it should if car is filled while on or running recommend refilling all way up with car off
    I fill up my 2006 while it's running all the time, because I am usually forced to remain in the car, in either the hot or the cold, while the attendant pumps the fuel (in NJ, where I work, and where the state gas tax is the second lowest in the nation, often making fuel $0.40 cents cheaper PER GALLON than in my home state of PA , it is illegal to "pump your own"...full serve only). Never had this issue arise yet, but I also have only had the car 3 months, and there's only 12,500 miles on it. I'll let you know if/when it occurs. Question is, why does it occur randomly?

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

I filled mine up with it running yesterday and the gauge tracked the fuel being pumped and ended at full when I left.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.