"service stability sys, service brake assist"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, "service stability sys, service brake assist" in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Just when I thought I had my 07' ready for another trip back down to Georgia with a new alternator, ...
    264WOODY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS-V

"service stability sys, service brake assist"

Just when I thought I had my 07' ready for another trip back down to Georgia with a new alternator, surprise! ...
    "SERVICE STABILITY SYS, SERVICE BRAKE ASSIST", GRRRRRR. any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: "service stability sys, service brake assist"

Get the codes read. You got onstar? They can tell you the codes. Might be a bad wheel hub.

I don't have onstar activated, and the wheel hub is what i was thinking that it might be. Since the fronts were replaced on the car, right front @ 47,000 mi. and left front @ 52,000 before I got it, I was thinking with 89,000 miles on it now, hey this is it, so I replaced both front because they were far easier than the rear that I replaced when I first bought the car. I pulled both battery cables, touched them together to drain system and get rid of the codes, not so much. Still have service lights, but two new front hub bearings. I'm guessing AutoZone or Advanced Auto can pull codes, but they usually say if there is no "check engine light" on, they can't do it.

Well today went to two local Auto parts stores, only to find out there are "no codes" in the car. So what now you ask? Get Onstar activated! Well I did, I had them run Diagnostics on the car, as I am looking at the "service stability sys, service brake assist" lights they tell me the system is "perfect and no codes". One thing left to do, off to the local Cadillac dealer, where they have trained professionals.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

I guess onstar and the not so good code reader can't read body codes? Let us know what happens.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by 264WOODY View Post
    Well today went to two local Auto parts stores, only to find out there are "no codes" in the car. So what now you ask? Get Onstar activated! Well I did, I had them run Diagnostics on the car, as I am looking at the "service stability sys, service brake assist" lights they tell me the system is "perfect and no codes". One thing left to do, off to the local Cadillac dealer, where they have trained professionals.
    Hi 264WOODY,

I apologize for the difficulties you are having with your STS and can see how frustrating it would be when you’re ready for a trip. If you would like any assistance in setting up a dealership visit, I would be happy to do so on your behalf. Feel free to PM me your VIN, preferred dealership, and contact information and I will take care of it for you. Hope to hear from you soon.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Typically GM's stability system has nothing to do with a wheel bearing or hub. Here is what I wrote up on the Bonneville board in regards to the stability system years back. While there may be some executional differences between platforms, GM's theory doesn't change in mass. So based on that, here is the technical writeup.

There are three pieces used in the stability system that require replacement when the stability system becomes inoperative and you've troubleshot it correctly. I have listed those above. In addition, the electronic brake control module (EBCM) can be a culprit too.

1) First you perform an ABS system check. If there is a fault in the ABS system, this is where the WSS comes into play. But NOT anything to do with the VSES!

2) you check that the VSES (Vehicle Stability Enhancement System) centers for roughly 30 seconds. If it doesn't, go to step 3, otherwise check all connections and wiring harnesses for intermittent connections.

3) Using your T2 (or equivalent), perform a steering wheel position sensor test. If the SWPS checks out, move on to the next step. If it doesn't, replace the SWPS.

4) Using your T2 (or equivalent), check the lateral accelerometer input voltage in the VSES. It should return about 2.5v. If it does, then the next step will be to test the yaw rate sensor. Otherwise, if it doesn't, replace the lateral accelerometer.

5) Using your T2 (or equivalent), check the yaw rate sensor. It too should return 2.5v. If it does, move on to the EBCM. If your yaw rate sensor doesn't return 2.5v, replace the yaw rate sensor.

6) Replace the EBCM. If it isn't programmed/setup properly, that could be the problem, and you'll be generating a C1248 or C1255M3 code and possible incorrect operation of the system.

No where in ANY of this, other than making sure the ABS system is funtioning correctly, is mention of the wheel speed sensor (WSS), wheel hub, etc. Why you ask?? The WSS is ONLY used for computational needs of the ABS/traction control system. NOT the Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES).

I just went and looked in my Techline manual for 2004. This is EXACTLY, verbatim, from GENERAL MOTORS;

The vehicle stability enhancement system (VSES) includes an additional level of vehicle control to the EBCM. The VSES is activated by the EBCM calculating the desired yaw rate and comparing it to the actual yaw rate input. The desired yaw rate is calculated from measured steering wheel position, vehicle speed, and lateral acceleration. The difference between the desired yaw rate and actual yaw rate is the yaw rate error, which is a measurement of oversteer or understeer. If the yaw rate error becomes too large, the EBCM will attempt to correct the vehicle's yaw motion by applying differential braking to the left or right front wheel.

The VSES activations generally occur during aggressive driving, in the turns or bumpy roads without much use of the accelerator pedal. When braking during VSES activation, the brake pedal will feel different than the ABS pedal pulsation. The brake pedal pulsates at a higher frequency during VSES activation.
    Steering Wheel Position = Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) located in your steering column
    Vehicle Speed = Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) located on your transaxle. This is NOT to be confused with your WSS out at the axles.
    Lateral Acceleration = Lateral Accelerometer sensor located under the rear seat near the electrical center.
    Yaw Rate = Yaw Rate Sensor located under the reat parcel shelf in the trunk.

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I had that issue and it was bc my brake pads were low.

Well first thing in the morning I'm dropping the V off at the dealer. Thanks to Austin from Cadillac customer service for setting up the appointment. I'll keep you all up to date as to the progress and what they find out, but my guess is that...
    CMNTMXR57 nails it!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by 264WOODY View Post
    Well first thing in the morning I'm dropping the V off at the dealer. Thanks to Austin from Cadillac customer service for setting up the appointment. I'll keep you all up to date as to the progress and what they find out, but my guess is that...
    CMNTMXR57 nails it!
    It was no problem 264WOODY. Please keep the forum posted on how everything goes, especially if CMNTMXR57 was spot on with his diagnosis.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by boomys10 View Post
    I had that issue and it was bc my brake pads were low.
    Which would make sense. This is a generic service message in the DIC covering two different systems.

1) Stability Control System
    2) Service Brake System (or in layman's terms, your regular braking system)

So yes, if your pads are low, they can trigger that. And this could apply to the OP too. I merely focused on the stability side because that was where the thread was heading.

myveryfastgt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Yikes.. keep us posted on the issue... Good luck man..

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

The STS doesn't have brake pad wear sensors other than the little metal screamers so I have a hard time saying this is due to low pads.
    Maybe low brake fluid because the pistons are fully extended to the point where they have sucked out enough fluid from the reservoir that its triggering a light...

If you're pads are low though, and they go beyond a certain threshold, like REALLY, REALLY wore down (which you'd probably know by then), there is an electric warning sensor in the master cylinder of all cars (I think I can safely say that), that triggers a brake system warning. But in all my years, even normal pad wear I have never seen that cause a warning. Usually is some other master cylinder or hydraulic pressure loss that triggers it.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

It's possible that the STS may have that but I know the Saturn from the early 2000's didn't have it. As my girlfriend at the time had run the pads so far down they they literally had fallen out of the front left caliper and laid there on the floor of the garage when she left the garage at her fathers house. He stumbled upon them and called her... She knew the brakes were getting bad but there wasn't any lights on for them. Ended up with new rotors pads and calipers...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.