Car was totaled, now what?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Car was totaled, now what? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hey I lost control of my V on a road that was recently graveled and bounced the curb and hit ...
    Nimoch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Car was totaled, now what?

Hey I lost control of my V on a road that was recently graveled and bounced the curb and hit a retaining wall. I could drive it to the shop but insurance has totaled it. Never wrecked a car before, what's next? I have the Spectre II Intake. Hard to believe a 20mph impact would total the car. No airbags and I drove it home. Boo. Boooooo. I haven't received the paperwork yet from the insurance on how they determined the loss. What will happen next?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

Re: Car was totaled, now what?

Google diminshed value to see,what your stat laws say.also did you have a stated value insurance policy. What year car. How.much are they offering you

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

They pay off the lien if there was one. And you hope the value it high our you will nead to cover the difference if you did not have gap coverage. As for getting the parts off it they may let you if you have the stock to give them.

But it's just a car they pay it off you get another.
    December 23 2013 hit buy a drunk driver going 80+ in a 40 zone.

Last week got its replacement. Never even made first payment on the white one. My Stsv is for sale.

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    It does depend on the insurance company,
    However a lot of insurance companies will offer to sell you the vehicle back after it's totaled for what is usually $200-$500. I'm going to get flack for this, but...this is one of those times when you need to look at MAACO, just don't let them paint it, but there repair work is acceptable , i think you will be surprised at what they will do with what the insurance company will give you for the car. Just specify that you want new fender and such, and the majority of aftermarket parts come primed in which case there paint job might suffice, as there prep work SUCKS! If your car is black let them paint it as their black is high quality and they have no down graded paint applications for black.

This if you want to keep it, it doesn't sound like you did any structural damage, it's none of my business, but if the car is paid for you have a well funded project on your hands,

Or you can come out of pocket for the difference between what is paid out and actual cost to have it repaired.

It is a rare car, Good luck!

Will do. Insurance says if it costs more to fix than the value it is considered totaled. I will find out tomorrow what they are offering.

FYI if interested in keeping it you probably will have to ask them if they will sell it back to you. A lot of people don't know.

I do honestly want to keep it; I'm not in the right income tax bracket to own such a fine machine. I hope that is what I can do, and that the body shop will work with me.

My I had a TA ws6 that I paid 18,500 for totaled it. And to buy it back was 12,500 that's what they said the could part it out for. Don't know where you are coming up with $200-500. They want there money back. My Ta I also drove after they turned it back over. No airbags eather it $1500 over them fixing it. So I could have paid that to get them to fix it but it was never going to be the same.

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

I totAled my wife vette last year and they wouldnt sell it back to me since I'm not a licensed dealer

Quote Originally Posted by 1madstsv
    My I had a TA ws6 that I paid 18,500 for totaled it. And to buy it back was 12,500 that's what they said the could part it out for. Don't know where you are coming up with $200-500. They want there money back. My Ta I also drove after they turned it back over. No airbags eather it $1500 over them fixing it. So I could have paid that to get them to fix it but it was never going to be the same.
    That's why I said it depends on the insurance company and offered other alternatives if it didn't pan out. I'm not sure what his car is worth, so I guess I will depend on its value.

I have had a couple of cars that were totaled that I bought back for not much,
    I do not mean to be misleading about anything as the bottom line is what the insurance company says. I may be under estimating it.

----------

By the way it's 70% of the cars value that will total it.

----------

I think I would have fixed it if it were that close especially without structural damage.
    There are a lot of things you can do yourself to bring costs down. The repair shops that I go to will work WITH me to bring costs down, including allowing me to shop online to get better pricing for parts. Most people wont bother to get involved.

cadi509 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int
    When i totaled my seville some years ago I was offered to buy it back for about 1000 and they gave 6500 which is more than I paid for the car so I took the money granted this is a much more produced car..... With a stsv I would buy back almost every time rare car with rare parts

Fenders, rims, headlights can all be found used in good condition insurance repair quotes are for brand new repair prices

I just looked up blue book for the STS v and his car is coming up retailing 20-23k that's extreme for a 20 mph crash, I do have admit the performance parts in that model make parting it out lucrative. FYI the $200-$500 were from personal experiences.

Best of luck.

Just a ? Was that $200-500 buy back on paid off cars. If so I can see that my Ta was not paid for. My escalade I paid $35,800 for rolled over my $5000 $$$ lone from another higher % rate so I was only making one payment but got the other car paid off. So total finced was like $45,800. They totaled it a $34300. So thank god I had gap insurance our i would have owed the deference.

I do have gap mad; with an 06 with 118k miles I'll be lucky if they give me 15k. I owe 8k on loan, so I'm not sure what to do next. Wife and I do agree that we should try to repair it and hang on to it if possible. We both really enjoy it and there's now way I can grab another car like this for that amount.

Just a ? Was that $200-500 buy back on paid off cars. If so I can see that my Ta was not paid for. My escalade I paid $35,800 for rolled over my $5000 $$$ lone from another higher % rate so I was only making one payment but got the other car paid off. So total finced was like $45,800. They totaled it a $34300. So thank god I had gap insurance our i would have owed the deference.
    In fact one was and one was not. The lower of the two wasn't much to behold and was paid for damage was minor bought the car back for $200 and put $4k in my pocket.
    The other was my mark six which I'm still pissed about , but thats another story. I still owed on that one they paid off everything but $2k on a 10k car. I bought it back for $500. And eventually repaired it. Made out like a bandit actually.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nimoch
    I do have gap mad; with an 06 with 118k miles I'll be lucky if they give me 15k. I owe 8k on loan, so I'm not sure what to do next. Wife and I do agree that we should try to repair it and hang on to it if possible. We both really enjoy it and there's now way I can grab another car like this for that amount.
    So even if you do not retain it your going to walk with cash. Not a disaster.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.