Hello from Jax, FL
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Hello from Jax, FL in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hello, I am considering becoming a STS-V owner. I have considered a number of cars but the STS-V seems to ...
    jaxeagle is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hello from Jax, FL

Hello, I am considering becoming a STS-V owner. I have considered a number of cars but the STS-V seems to have a balance of many facotrs I am looking for. Anyway, I have done some internet searches and not quickly found answers to a few basic questions, newby questions at that so I hope it's ok that I ask them here. Please feel free to answer just one or more. Again, thanks for putting up with another newby.

1) What, if any, differences are there between '08 and '09 STS-V's? My guess is none but if they are any I would like to know what they are regardless of how minor they might be.

2) If you are familiar with the G8 Panther Black Metallic or the TBSS Black Granite Metallic, how would you compare the Black Raven paint code? On photos it appears to be hi gloss but less metallic then the others mentioned. Is that true?

3) Why did the STS-V go with the Northstar platform when CTS-V went to the LS platform a few years earlier? I am sure it is a long answer so the short version is fine. The STS-V isn't simply a S/C version of the regular STS V8, correct?

4) If you have also driven a G8 GT or GXP, how do you compare the low end drivability between the G8 and STS-V? I don't mean which car is capable of more power at full build or which car would win 1/4 mi race, but rather how do the manners in around town driving compare.

5) I know the fuel economy rating for the car but I am curious what people are actually getting with their STS-V's, both stock and modded. Of course I am not looking for a fuel efficient car, but down in the range of the cars I am considering, a few mpg's might be a positive in the favor of one car or another. Of course driving style is a big variable part in the equation but I mean with that aside?

6) I assume there is no backup camera on even the last couple models of STS-V. i see there wasn't in '07 but i don't find anything clear on the 08-09. I assume no backup cam? Not a big deal, I'm just curious.

7) Is there a USB connection or only standard aux jack?

Thanks much! I would love to become an owner/member of the forum if I can find the right car.

Jax

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: Hello from Jax, FL

You're right about minor differences between 08-09.

The word supercharged is removed from each side of the car for 2009.
    The sharkfin antenna is introduced for 2009
    The nav features the speed limit advisory starting in 2009

That should be it.

It is not simply a supercharged version of the northstar. There are extensive write ups on the LC3 but basically it was bored down to 4.4l from 4.6 and reinforced to be able to handle the extra power.

What type of driving would you be doing? This would let is help you with fuel economy. Interstate about 22. Suburbs around 16. City (ny) low double digits to single digits. No mods.

No backup cam

For music you need something like this http://m.dhgate.com/product/10pcs-27...15.html#pd-103, or one that doesn't have the yellow video cord. It's an RCA jack, not a regular AUX in like other cars have.

2007blackbty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 sts-v

? 1 08-09 a couple pounds I think.? 2 it's a cadillac with 2503 ever made.? 3 rarity, there's only 45 for sale, with only 2000 left.? 4 it's a rare sts-v not a pontiac.? 5 who cares 99.9 people can't get, but I get 16 mpg.? 6 no back up.? 7 only aux jack but work's for me.buy 1 and enjoy . It's a amazing machine

Guy and BlackBty,

Thanks for the replies so far, good info. That's what I was looking for, I really appreciate it. I hope to see some more replies here too!

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Don't forget HUD that you have and I'm jealous about (08 & 09).

Also very slight differences in the design of the dash gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    You're right about minor differences between 08-09.

The word supercharged is removed from each side of the car for 2009.
    The sharkfin antenna is introduced for 2009
    The nav features the speed limit advisory starting in 2009

That should be it.

It is not simply a supercharged version of the northstar. There are extensive write ups on the LC3 but basically it was bored down to 4.4l from 4.6 and reinforced to be able to handle the extra power.

What type of driving would you be doing? This would let is help you with fuel economy. Interstate about 22. Suburbs around 16. City (ny) low double digits to single digits. No mods.

No backup cam

For music you need something like this http://m.dhgate.com/product/10pcs-27...15.html#pd-103, or one that doesn't have the yellow video cord. It's an RCA jack, not a regular AUX in like other cars have.

cadi509 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int
    08-09 would be the cats meow find one with the interior of the gods (tango red) if you can it's 10x better in person than any picture!

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Agreed. As for the reason for the engine choice, we can speculate. It might have to do with exclusivity and a way to differentiate between the CTS-V of that era. Also, the XLR-V would've been a dressed up vette without the exclusive engine. STS-V could've been a way to increase the number of cars the LC3 went into so it would make financial sense. This may no longer be the case but a DOHC engine had more of a refined feel which is fitting for a luxury car. The pushrod has also been viewed (not agreeing or disagreeing here) as a lesser engine technologically. The LC3 was quite an advanced engine for its time and even by today's standards. Definitely very power dense for its era as well.
    GizmoQ likes this.

Jailtime is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 95 Sierra Z71

Black Raven has no flake at all, just plain high gloss black. It's soft, and a huge pain to keep swirl free.

Fuel economy is a joke, I see around 14 in mixed driving, 21 highway. Stock except Spectre intake.

They're great cars around town, quiet (too quiet for my tastes), comfortable, good ride, and effortless torque. One of the reasons I love the STS-V, it can go from mild to wild, just depends on how far you tap into the throttle.

PORGUY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06' STS V

[/QUOTEThey're great cars around town, quiet (too quiet for my tastes), comfortable, good ride, and effortless torque. One of the reasons I love the STS-V, it can go from mild to wild, just depends on how far you tap into the throttle.[/QUOTE]

what he said....

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

What is the price range you are looking for??
    G8 gxp is also very nice drive very much the same but no cool blower wine. And no nav and no HUD.

GoFish is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V; 2000 STS

If you can find one with low miles and an active GMPP that you can transfer into your name (and better yet extend) that would be a real plus in my opinion. I have a 2008 with around 45K miles and was just able to extend to 2017. Not sure I'd stay in this car without it. Lots of pricy Caddy parts under that hood, and the 5-volume FSM can be quite a challenge for the garage mechanic. Other than that, best car I've ever owned. D3 intake, mild tune measured 416hp at rear wheel (about 525 engine output), Corsa cat-back exhaust gives a really nice growl. Love it as my DD and it's a blast to drive every day. But beware, it will kick up expensive DIC codes now and again.

Dave G is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

IMHO, there's not much comparison to the G8 GXP. I looked at a couple and both had weird interior craftsmanship issues on the seats I couldn't get past. I do think the GXP is a nice looking car, I just try to minimize annoyances as much as possible

08-09 would be the way to go if you can swing it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2007blackbty View Post
    ? 1 08-09 a couple pounds I think.? 2 it's a cadillac with 2503 ever made.? 3 rarity, there's only 45 for sale, with only 2000 left.? 4 it's a rare sts-v not a pontiac.? 5 who cares 99.9 people can't get, but I get 16 mpg.? 6 no back up.? 7 only aux jack but work's for me.buy 1 and enjoy . It's a amazing machine
    Thank you for the info, I am really liking the thought of becoming part of the club! That said, I don't think a 2009.5 G8 GXP is just a Pontiac

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
    IMHO, there's not much comparison to the G8 GXP. I looked at a couple and both had weird interior craftsmanship issues on the seats I couldn't get past. I do think the GXP is a nice looking car, I just try to minimize annoyances as much as possible

08-09 would be the way to go if you can swing it.
    Now that element of the G8 GXP I wouldn't argue. I am sure the interior in general doesn't compare to the STSV however the appearance and performance is good. Having a LS3 is a nice base to work with.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by GoFish View Post
    If you can find one with low miles and an active GMPP that you can transfer into your name (and better yet extend) that would be a real plus in my opinion. I have a 2008 with around 45K miles and was just able to extend to 2017. Not sure I'd stay in this car without it. Lots of pricy Caddy parts under that hood, and the 5-volume FSM can be quite a challenge for the garage mechanic. Other than that, best car I've ever owned. D3 intake, mild tune measured 416hp at rear wheel (about 525 engine output), Corsa cat-back exhaust gives a really nice growl. Love it as my DD and it's a blast to drive every day. But beware, it will kick up expensive DIC codes now and again.
    Do you know the warranty parameters off the top of your head? I definitely look to extend it if possible.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 1madstsv View Post
    What is the price range you are looking for??
    G8 gxp is also very nice drive very much the same but no cool blower wine. And no nav and no HUD.
    I don't have a set price range, just want to find a car that I like at a price I feel is good. It may be minor but i like that the 09 doesn't have the supercharged badge on the car. That isn't really my style but I suppose I could live with it. I could remove it also but purists would probably balk at that.

I see you are a Vette guy too. I also have a C5 - my real pride and joy!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jailtime View Post
    Black Raven has no flake at all, just plain high gloss black. It's soft, and a huge pain to keep swirl free.

Fuel economy is a joke, I see around 14 in mixed driving, 21 highway. Stock except Spectre intake.

They're great cars around town, quiet (too quiet for my tastes), comfortable, good ride, and effortless torque. One of the reasons I love the STS-V, it can go from mild to wild, just depends on how far you tap into the throttle.
    Thank you for that info, particularly abotu the paint.

----------

Those reasons all make sense, particularly the financial ones.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jailtime View Post

I see that there is a Black Ice and a Black Raven. I assume the Black Ice is the metallic. I guess I need to pay closer attention to for sale ads. Anytime I have seen black I just presumed it to mean Black Raven but I guess it could be either.

EDIT: I see Black Ice is a 2009 color only.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

It's for sale 08 thunder gray 13,140miles no supercharger badge and 09 shark fin antenna. With tango red interior losts of upgrades in side and out. Pm me for details.

GoFish is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V; 2000 STS

Bought my GMPP through Greg Bell dealership. You'd have to check with a dealer for mileage restrictions and so forth. Greg Bell had a much better price than my local dealer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.