Road trips in an sts-v
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Road trips in an sts-v in Cadillac V-Series Forums; As mentioned previously I am getting closer to making my Spain/Morocco trip in my '08 STS-V. If anyone has taken ...
    rodinoma is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade; 2009 XLR; 2008 STS-V; 2013 CTS-V

Road trips in an sts-v

As mentioned previously I am getting closer to making my Spain/Morocco trip in my '08 STS-V. If anyone has taken a driving tour of these two countries in the past few years I would be interested in hearing your comments and suggestions. While in Morocco I will be making a detour to Ceuta, one of the two Spanish enclaves. They were both written up in today's NYTimes (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/wo...s-door.html?hp) . SHould be an interesting drive from Tangier (Morocco) to Ceuta (Spain) and back to Morocco in a late model Cadillac. Ill be taking many photos which Ill be posting here if there is any interest.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: Road trips in an sts-v

Very cool. Interesting article too. I have a cousin that lives in morocco. I've never been. I look forward to the pics.

Dave G is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

You're probably the only STS-V to make that trip.

Have fun!

Sad but true - the Germans, the Britons and the Italians frequently drive their Audis, Mercs, Lambos and Jaguars to Morocco in a replay of the Grand Tour of the 18th Century - but this time to the Levant and not mainland Europe but we Americans are MIA. Not sure why, since the US Navy and Marines used to hunt down pirates in these parts two hundred years ago (..the shores of Tripoli and all that...) and the first foreign legation is located in Tangier - so what has happened? Where is General Motors and its fleet of excellent vehicles? How come we don't see Corvettes and Cadillacs full of American tourists boarding the jetfoil to Tangier and Ceuta? Why or why??

In the meantime here are some photos of the STS-V CADILLAC STS-V 2008 PARKED MUNCHEN.jpg from Italy and Germany

cadi509 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int
    Why is it that the export models all get the cool the taillights... The autobahn would be amazing

To your first question - I agree. Unfortunately the US, Canada & Mexico follow FMVSS rules and regulations (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) while the rest of the world follows EUNICE standards (EU and UN standards). Thirty years ago we had the best safety standards but ours have stood still while EU standards have continued to improve. There are hundreds of differences including bumper standards; offset crash versus frontal crash standards; and obviously among the most visible are lighting standards. Outside of North America turn signals have to be seen from 180º and they have to be amber. Studies done by the NHTSA have proven that amber turn signals actually reduce rear impacts but for reasons known only to the bureaucrats in Washington these standards have not been adopted. And yes, the taillights look much more sophisticated and cool in their EU specification. You will also notice fog lights under the rear bumper. In the US there is no standard for rear fog-piercing red fog lights because we dont have fog in the US nor do we have dangerous pile ups caused by fog. But they have fog in the rest of the world and in Europe mortality rates on their roads that are 1/2 to 1/3 ours with much higher speeds and in the case of Germany no speed limits.

The German highway system is a marvel. We could have the same in the US but it would take many years and quite frankly American drivers, outside of a minority, really are not interested in cars that much - for most people driving is a chore. Not so in Germany and Europe in general. Just an interesting factoid to consider - notwithstanding the brutal, and I mean brutal, recession in Europe these past five years with youth unemployment at 20+%, the average age of the European car fleet is 7 years whilst it is 11 years in the US. What does that tell you? Anyway, back to German highways - it is magical to be cruising in the left lane at 220 kph and come upon a police car which then calmly moves over to let you pass.

The German highway system is a marvel - we could replicate the same in the US but it would take many years of further education and quite frankly American drivers are not as passionate as the Germans about their cars and driving and so at the end of the day we dont really care. Obviously our community is but we are a very small percentage. But yes it is amazing to spool up the revs and hit the left lane and keep the foot planted and be able to cruise for minutes and even hours at speeds that in the US will get you thrown in jail!!! Grand touring came from Europe and it remains its spiritual home because I have been able to cross continents in days gone by in my Cadillacs - I can go from Italy through Switzerland, Liechtenstein and in to Germany in five hours! Who needs to take an airplane in Europe. But it is amazing to be able to pass a cop car going 240 kph and have the cops just smile. Only in Germany. But they are very disciplined and when the speed limit drops to the standard 130 kmh then everyone slows down and when the sign for no speed limit flashes then everyone is bacj caning it. On some highways though there is a 130 kmh speed limit from 2200->0600 every day. That is smart because what they understand is that late at night and early morning are not the times to be driving like a maniac. This is why Germany has a lower road mortality rate than the US.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

I have the cool tail lights on my car. They were a dealer installed option back then. $1200 I think.

ah yes, but do yours have the amber turn signals or just the red? If red then what they supplied is simply the exact same tail lens arrangement on the standard STS but with a clear tail lens cover. Doubtful that the dealer would have had access to what GM calls the "export" parts bin. But I am curious to know.

----------

I keep on trying to upload photos but it says my file sizes are too large and to resize them. I would be grateful to the community if someone could tell me how to do that. Thank you

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Quote Originally Posted by rodinoma View Post
    ah yes, but do yours have the amber turn signals or just the red? If red then what they supplied is simply the exact same tail lens arrangement on the standard STS but with a clear tail lens cover. Doubtful that the dealer would have had access to what GM calls the "export" parts bin. But I am curious to know.
    For photos if you want to post them basically its upload to photbucket/imgur/flickr and copy the link to the image and wrap in [IMG] [/IMG]

Clear lenses with Red signals is GM accessory lamps available from about 2005-2007 and discontinued reportedly due to frequent damage during shipping.
    $250 was the price as far as I've seen.
    The 3rd brake lamp (CHMSL) was also available in clear with Red LEDs, was done separately from the tails above and was I believe also around $200 and discontinued for the same reasons.

Very rarely you will see them on eBay, not usually in a pair but a single lamp for near $1k if paired or around $400 for a single.
    I've not seen a clear 3rd brake light on eBay ever during my ownership of the STS.

Clear lenses (very lightly smoked) with Amber signals is GM export lamps which are still available new from GM. Most dealers aren't willing to order them as they are for the Export model STS but they function properly (plug-n-play) on the domestic model STS and they have 8 additional LEDs in the housing on top of the normal STS or GM accessory lamps.
    List on them is a bit over $1k for the pair but you can get better pricing from some places on the forum like RippyCadillac (I got my pair from him for around $800).

Red lenses with Amber signals is also an option (seen on the SLS china model) and can be obtained via a forum member TargetSTS.

Red/amber export style. And 3 brake light.

That would explain the cost. I think the 3rd brake light was discontinued in 2009.
    So about $1k for export lamps and a couple hundred for the 3rd brake light.

Yea I did not buy them but that's what I was told. They do look good.

cadi509 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int
    There's some on eBay (well yesterday when I looked) for 250 ea both left and right

A lot of times when there are a "pair" you find 2 ads and one is accessory and one is export but the seller doesn't know a damn thing about the STS or it's lighting options. Granted I haven't seen the set you came across though so it may be correctly listed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.