06 sts-v head gasket probs?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 1madstsv
  • 1 Post By Guy.Seminerio
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, 06 sts-v head gasket probs? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hi all, So I have a 06 sts-v 40k miles. I bought it used a year ago, I love it... ...
    thedude560 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

06 sts-v head gasket probs?

Hi all,
    So I have a 06 sts-v 40k miles. I bought it used a year ago, I love it... But, I started getting the engine hot ac off message. I replaced the thermostat, it went away for a while then came back on.. ugh so, seeing as how I have the extended warranty I dropped it off at the dealer. they pressure tested the block and determined it to be bad head gaskets (exhaust in the coolant). damn... so anyways... after fighting with my aftermarket warranty provider for around 3 weeks as to whether or not it would be covered, they finally agreed to cover most of the repair costs.

Anyone else had issues with the head gaskets? The dealer is doing timeserts in the block with the new head gaskets, how do you guys feel about this as a viable repair for the block thread issues?

I'm kind of concerned with this being a supercharged motor that the timeserts will pull out, I'm supposed to get the car back on Monday after 5 weeks. What do you guys think... Should I sale/trade it? Or will the timeserts be a repair that lasts? Anyone with a supercharged car out there have this done?

Thanks, Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Re: 06 sts-v head gasket probs?

I haven't heard of it being needed on a S/C version, but the older FWD version of these engines used to have quite a few problems where timeserts were used to repair them. I've never heard of a timesert repair having the same problem again, I hear they're quite durable.

The Northstar used to be a pretty fragile engine, I thought that was fixed in the newer RWD applications. I've owned three other of the older variety of Northstar engines, four if you count my Olds Aurora (baby 4.0L Northstar design). Two of them had engine case halves that required the engines to be pulled and resealed due to oil leaks. None of the older cars seemed to ever leak again after the fix in the field.

The reason I brought up the oil leak is I wonder why GM doesn't use some type of steel insert in the aluminum blocks to prevent this type of failure mode. It seems to me GM always took a gamble that they would never need to fix it in the field under warranty, or gamble that it wouldn't have a failure until after the warranty period was over.

I bought my 07 a little over a year ago, 79K miles then, 95K miles now. Hopefully I won't regret buying mine later, and hopefully I won't run into any type of warranty issues if I ever have to claim a major repair like this.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

This is the first Stsv I have ever heard of blowing a head gasket. Very odd the 4.4l was designed to fix this problem. I ran 18/19 psi of boost in my 06 from 65k/95k miles with out any engine issues at all. And drove at 100+ every time out with it. I live in Mexico so it's ok.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

I'm thinking all of us on the v forums have lived in Mexico at one point or another.
    Dave G likes this.

youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED
    I've gotten the hot AC message once maybe twice but I "resolved" it by un plugging the battery. I haven't noticed any compromised performance so I concluded it was a glitch thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by youknooow View Post
    I've gotten the hot AC message once maybe twice but I "resolved" it by un plugging the battery. I haven't noticed any compromised performance so I concluded it was a glitch thoughts?
    I didn't notice any loss of performance either, nor was the engine over heating. I'd clear the codes and it
    would come back in two days or so. I tried replacing the thermostat as others have had success with. But,no luck. From what I gather, the coolant heated up faster then ecu expected because of the exhaust
    gases in the coolant. I guess it is, what it is...I'm just concerned that the timessert are going to ruin the
    block.

TimmyC is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac

You'll be fine with the inserts. These things are not known for head gaskets so I'm very surprised that you had a problem.

Timmyc,
    I've read through some your posts, it looks like you know your way around a caddy. Thanks for replying!
    I suppose maybe I'm worried about nothing, I hear a lot of the import guys have block issues that they cure with inserts. I spoke to a friend of a friend, who's a caddy tech today. He says, serts are the norm on a aluminum block when the heads are removed. Although he's never seen a sts-v have a bad gaskets either. He wouldn't do it without them. He also told me to keep up on the antifreeze flushes. And it will be fine. Dealer says I should have it back on Monday. Lol, weatherman is calling for 12 plus inches of snow on Monday. That's my luck.... So maybe later in the week I'll get it back.

Anyways, good forum you guys got here. Thanks to all who replied.
    Jim.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.