brakes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, brakes in Cadillac V-Series Forums; My 2008 has just turned 40K miles--noticed a squeaking when i turn intomy garage--- im not a mechanical guy so ...
    torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

brakes

My 2008 has just turned 40K miles--noticed a squeaking when i turn intomy garage--- im not a mechanical guy so woild need to have them looked at/fixed.Id 40k about right for brakes?Squeak is coming fromfront right---shoiuld i have all the break pads(im assuming here)done or just the front/ id like to get pads that dont generate as much brakedust--is there a brand/part i should use.As to where to get them done,im concrened about having either a shop or the dealer supply parts and labor since they might just get STS pads--i assumethe V pads are diffreent--shouild i just order the pads and have the shop just install them--thanks for help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bigmizike67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06' STS-V,13' XTS
    You can go ceramic pads but it will stop differently, not as quick because ceramics tend to glaze, for me, I go for the hardest there is, presently running EBC pads and I'm happy with them as well as their rotors, which are cross drilled and slotted to cool them off, no need to go all out unless you race at the track as I do, if she is your daily driver you can run the ceramics to eliminate the dust...

Re: brakes

thanks alot so couldthe dealer put sts brakes et al on by mistake, or would they not fit a V--I know irs a stupid question ,buy its somuch easier to just have the dealer do the brakes.Also,id put upwith the dust if the stock brakes stop quicker--I live in Atl and its not unusual to have to brake hard on the interstae roads here

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

We have the 6 lug pattern. Sts has 5. The highest brake option on the sts gives them 6 lugs and our brakes. In other words it's impossible for them to put the wrong brakes on our car if you insist on letting them install brakes.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

There is a distinct difference in pads used on an ordinary floating caliper vs. a Brembo caliper. It is impossible to screw the two up. Wheel lug count has nothing to do with any differentiation in calipers, other than the fact that a non-V wheel won't clear the additional space a Brembo caliper needs because of the pistons on both sides (it needs all that extra offset our wheels provide. Somthing like 56mm or 57mm).

Brembo's are actually stupid easy to replace pads on. This is why they are so popular in racing as it's easy to swap braking compounds on the fly more or less. Tap out the bottom pin, remove the spring clip, then tap out the top pin. Or it could be vice versa, I forget. Then remove the pads. Those holes you see at the top of the pad (this edge faces forward), are the holes for the pin to go through. However rotor replacement is fairly the same level of work on either setup.

Brembo pad (not our exact pad, just a Brembo in general);

Regular Pad;

I have the Hawk HPS's in the image above, with Powerslot rotors. There is no right/wrong answer as to what is the best combo. That is dependant on your needs.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

You could change pads your self if you can change a flat tire. The hardness part is getting the wheel off. After that take a punch and hammer and tap out the pins at the top and pull out the pads. Put new pads in and tap pins back in and your done. More than likey you only need fronts. I would eather do the oem pads our the hawk hps. Both will still dust. But better than that dent from hitting the car that's in frount of you. I was just in atl this week could have changed then for you.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Quote Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57 View Post
    Wheel lug count has nothing to do with any differentiation in calipers
    Sorry I was thinking of rotors.

Jailtime is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 95 Sierra Z71

I have EBC Red Stuff pads and EBC Black Dash rotors on my V. Very low dust, good street braking performance, outstanding on the track.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I have the same on my Seville. Very happy with them.

thanks so much--i have back issues,so i dont do flats either.do you guys think i woiuld need anything else,ie rotors,calipers.Mad were you here for the monster truck show??

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Whenever replacing pads, especially if they've been worn for 40k, I'd replace the rotors without fail.

Calipers don't need to be replaced. Only issue is if you have piston seals leaking. Then they can buy a rebuild kit to fix them. You don't want to know the price of one of our calipers...

Typical brake jobs consist of pad replacement, rotor replacement (or suitable turning of original rotor IF it is within turnable spec), re-greasing of slider pins (not applicable to our car as we don't have floating calipers), and any other cleanup, degreasing, etc, of the general area, and a good bleeding if necessary. On some GM vehicles (trucks with Kelsey Hayes ABS modulators for example), I'd always make sure to crack the bleeder screw before pushing the pistons back as if there is any sediment, in the fluid, I want it pushed OUT of the system, not back up into it. But that isn't a necessary step.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.