Cadillac Owners Forum banner

"charging sys warning"

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  TimmyC 
#1 ·
I have an '08 STS that the charging system warning came on the other morning. Being somewhat mechanically inclined I kinda thought it was an alternator issue due to it saying it was not charging. Replaced the alternator and I have the same issue. Charged the battery to full charge........same issue. Replaced battery with new battery.........same issue. I have exhausted my level of being a barn yard mechanic. Is there something else I can do or is this now a dealer issue. Appreciate all advice thank you!

#4 ·
Get what?

The network in your car is CAN (Controlled Area Network), so essentially the PCM runs the car, like a network at your office, subletting processes and commands to other slaves, in this case modules. In order to communicate with one another, their is constant serial data sent back and forth between all those units to authenticate and verify statuses. This is the GMLAN (GM Local Area Network).

What sounds like it is happening, is that there is some disruption in that LAN communication between those units that control the information on the charging system and it's state (our car is constantly monitoring SOC, or State Of Charge), and communicating it back to the central PCM. Any disruption in that signal and/or communication is what is generating this issue.

You need to take it into someone with a CAN capable scan tool and that can troubleshoot it. A Caddy dealer with a Tech2 and CANdi module or the new MDI interface setup will be able to do this.

#10 ·
Not always.

Ran across many on CAN and non-CAN GM cars over the years that would have class II data issues. Some would set a U code, some won't. Each vehicle has clightly different parameters, but in some, it depends on a cycle count of how many times it's tried to establish that connection, I.E. "pinging" the modules, that after so many attempts, then yes, it will set.

#11 ·
Well the issue is the positive cable running from the battery to the jumper to the alternator to the starter.........with a 200 amp fusible link in it. Dealer wants $700 dollars to change it. $350 for the part and another $350 for labor.........found OEM on Ebay for $150. Going to attempt tochange myself which I am certain I can do it by the looks of things. Will let you know how it goes! Thanks for the advice!

#13 ·
Getting to the starter is the easy part. You have to remove the supercharger. Not that bad.

Getting the cable out of the harness is a bitch. It is routed along the cylinder head and the held on with bolts that might be too long to remove with the engine in the car. You might have to drop the engine cradle down to get to them.

You could always just leave the bad cable in there and run the new one over it. A little hack but might be the only way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.