Methanol Injection
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Methanol Injection in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hi gang. I am confused. I bought a 2008 STS-V about a year ago. It had a bunch of D3 ...
    Robert Kimball is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Methanol Injection

Hi gang. I am confused. I bought a 2008 STS-V about a year ago. It had a bunch of D3 upgrades (2 piece supercharger pulley, Corsa exhaust, intake system, D-tronic tuning module). The car was on consignment at a dealer so I never actually spoke to the previous owner. The dealer told me about the upgrades and valued them at $10,000+. My quandary is attached to my widow washer reseviour is a D3 label that reads "service with methanol only" and installed next to it on the side wall is a square box labeled with SnowPerformance.net. That website is all about methanol injection. I am confused. What is this stuff? I have put washer fluid in the reseviour 3 times and it always drains within a month or so. My warning is always on saying "check washer fluid level". Can anyone help me understand? What is methanol injection and does this car have it. How can I investigate further? D3 won't help me AT ALL... I have tried several times
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dave G is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Re: Methanol Injection

That's the tank for the meth injection - chances are they relocated/replaced your washer tank. Also, you're ok running washer fluid through the meth injection system. You'll get better cooling properties from straight meth.

Do you have any more pics of the engine bay so we can help locate the actual washer tank?

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

D3 just uses the washers tank. It's spraying in the intake that's why the low washer light is on. But yes washers fluid is ok to use -20 is the best if you are not running meth. All it's doing is cooling the air going in too the engine.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Robert, it sounds like you have a system similar to mine. If so, the wiper fluid resevoir is used to supply water/meth injection into the intake for cooling the intake charge as well as fluid for the windshield. I have mine pre-boost because I also want it to cool the supercharger since I'm overspinning mine pretty significantly. Some folks have their injection post-boost which is primarily for added power. And some folks have both. You say it empties the wiper fluid every month. How does that correlate with tanks of gas or mileage? Under normal driving conditions, I have to add a gallon every fillup. When spirited driving that quickly goes to two gallons per fillup. And don't even ask how quickly it goes on full race tune.

If it is a pre-boost, you should see one or two injectors mounted into your intake not far from the firewall. Snow provides red tubing for their system which should be immediately noticeable in the engine bay. If you look closely at the photo below, you can see my red meth line along the right side of the firewall.

I have since put wirewrap covering on the entire length of that tube so none of the red is showing.

You need to get into that fender at the bottom of the windshield washer tank and verify if the meth pump is indeed a Snow performance pump. Reason being, Snow pumps are for water/meth injection. If you try to run 100% meth with a Snow Pump the seals will expire quickly (I've gone through two pumps till I realized what was happening). Also, Snow recommends 50/50, that means for every gallon of -20 Wiper fluid you should add two 10 oz bottles of Gas Line Antifreeze (essentially 100% methanol) to get that 50/50 mix. Lastly, you need to find out how the system is setup for cleaning the windshield. My car originally had a separate line for spraying fluid on the headlights that we removed and used that line to supply the meth pump.

Some warnings about Snow Performance: 1) DO NOT USE 100% Meth with their pump; 2) Do not use any wiper fluid with additives and do not use -32 fluid - this stuff is being ingested by your engine, additives can and will cause engine damage; 3) If the motor has a meth tune, do not WOT with a low wiper fluid level - at WOT fuel is pulled because meth adds octane, if meth ain't there the motor leans out fast and hard... and the result ain't pretty!
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

It's a snow kit it's the one d3 uses same as on my 08. It's pre boost for shore lot of work to do post boost on this car. I just run straight -20 washer fluid. D3s set up is not spinning the blower as hard as your car giz our mine. So 50/50 is not needed. I had a alky control set up on my 06 with a 4gal cell in the truck well. And needed to fill every week. But runing 18psi used a lot more than 13psi. In the 08 with the d3 set up I don't even need to use it. I have it off during the winter but turn it back on in the midsummer just for cooling. I don't even think d3 tuned for it. Just put it on a charger people a arm and leg for a cheap kit.

Robert Kimball is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    THANK YOU for the explanations, I really do appreciate the help. Sounds like I got into something over my head :-) sure would have been nice for the previous owner to document what was done to the car. I haven't filled the washer tank in months. Is running the system empty bad? Do I HAVE to fill the tank when empty? I just don't want to damage anything. Does this system increase HP or is it simply helping the engine operate efficiently? On the D3 site for methanol injection it clearly states this is illegal in California which is where I live. Will smog test be a problem? Why illegal? Sorry for all the questions....... just really confused.

Now that I know what is going on I will put 20/20 washer fluid in today and keep an eye on everything.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kimball View Post
    THANK YOU for the explanations, I really do appreciate the help. Sounds like I got into something over my head :-) sure would have been nice for the previous owner to document what was done to the car. I haven't filled the washer tank in months. Is running the system empty bad? Do I HAVE to fill the tank when empty? I just don't want to damage anything. Does this system increase HP or is it simply helping the engine operate efficiently? On the D3 site for methanol injection it clearly states this is illegal in California which is where I live. Will smog test be a problem? Why illegal? Sorry for all the questions....... just really confused.

Now that I know what is going on I will put 20/20 washer fluid in today and keep an eye on everything.
    Good! I wouldn't let it run with no fluid in the tank. If you don't want to use it, disconnect the power from the pump.

The system doesn't increase HP it lets you keep what you have tuned. Let me explain. On my engine, when IAT2 temps hit a certain level the ECU starts pulling timing which reduces power. My meth system is set to quench the supercharger and the compressed air intake charge to keep the IAT2 below that threshold during full WOT for 38-40 seconds. My engine tune is not too aggressive, but 40 seconds is a long time to stand on the go pedal and temps build fast at that rate.

Pre-boost meth should have no affect on your emissions test. I have no idea about you state's legality for the system.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

007STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS

Has anyone else added a snow kit to there v? Considering the stage 3 kit....

Unless yor making 15+ psi save your money and get a good heat exchanger like the one Timmyc sells.

007STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS

For sure I already have:
    60lb Injectors
    Throttle body
    Intake
    Headers , cats removed
    2.55 pully
    Magna flow x pipe and mufflers

Soon to ad his intercooler and port the supercharger, not sure I think I'm 12 psi now but have a bad intercooler pump when they tuned so only put down 420rwhp 400tq.

Sorry to hijack this tread just interested in what the gains may be with the meth injection...

PapaV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 D3 Stage 2+ STS-V and '05 CTS-V

Robert...... I ran into the same issue w/D3. They apparently have made a business decision to remain silent when a technical question about one of their cars is asked. I have no doubt it has to do w/ legal issues and the fear of bei ng sued. I also bought a very nice D3 Stage 2 STS-V and simply had the same questions you did. One of my threads on the D3 sight caused quite a backlash against D3. Everyone jumped on D3 f/ their poor customer service. It was not my intention to beat up on them. I finally did get a response to some of my questions. Afterwords they continued to ignore my questions in these forums and in email form. I don't think they realize how damaging this dumb business model is to their reputation. I put a new thread f/ Dr. Design out there on the D3 site knowing full well he will ignore it.......again. Enjoy your D3 Caddy........ I know I will.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.