Thinking of buying an STS V. I need advice please!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Thinking of buying an STS V. I need advice please! in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hi forum members. I'm looking for a new toy to buy soon. I'm a corvette guy, but a couple of ...
    dreaminofaV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thinking of buying an STS V. I need advice please!

Hi forum members. I'm looking for a new toy to buy soon. I'm a corvette guy, but a couple of days ago I saw a 2007 STS V at a dealership and decided to take it for a test drive. Wow!! I was totally impressed and must say I fell in love with the car. It has 59000 miles and is priced at $22K. I was blown away at the power and the ride. For $22K seems like an incredible car. I don't know much about these cars though, so I'm hoping you can give me some feedback. How reliable are these? Are there any known common issues? Any issues with the superchargers after a while?

I appreciate any inputs you have.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jailtime is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 95 Sierra Z71

Re: Thinking of buying an STS V. I need advice please!

Decent price. I paid 22K for my 06 with 57K miles last year.

Diff bushings seem pretty common, I have to replace one before spring comes around. The trans doesn't seem all that robust to me, the factory tune is crap. I've seen a few valve body replacements, mine might be due for one of those too.

cadi509 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int
    Upload some pics or a carfax of the one your looking at there are sometimes things that long time v owners will catch that noobs won't they did for me

ChurchSTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX, 2007 STS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Jailtime View Post
    Decent price. I paid 22K for my 06 with 57K miles last year.

Diff bushings seem pretty common, I have to replace one before spring comes around. The trans doesn't seem all that robust to me, the factory tune is crap. I've seen a few valve body replacements, mine might be due for one of those too.
    This is correct. The 6L80 has a garbage tune that causes it to eventually wear itself out. Only trans I ever had where the torque converter never really stops. Had my tuner fix that and the cat feels way better.
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

Thanks for the info so far. How much does it cost to replace a diff bushing or valve body?

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

I have had two Stsv a 06 and now a 08 both have been very low mantinace for me and the 06 had 63 when I got it and 90 when I sold it too a friend and its at 113 and still going strong.

Jailtime is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 95 Sierra Z71

The diff bushing is cheap, the labor to replace it isn't. Looks like a sort of tough job, nothing a few beers and cursing can't fix though - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l-removal.html.

6L80 parts/labor aren't cheap. Find one with a good trans, have it tuned. It will be obvious if the car has problems, mine has a hard time holding 2nd gear - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcKCWZq_oOA Gonna have the dealer do some diagnostics on it this spring, need to take it easy on the trans until I can get it figured out.

If you like a heated steering wheel, make sure that works, it's impossible to find/fix anymore. Can't really think of any other mechanical problems. Body parts are expensive if you do any damage to those.

Everything sounds great so far. Thanks for your advice. One person on the vette forum told me that it's an amazing sedan but gas mileage on these is absolutely horrible, so he sold his and got a vette because he was tired of filling up every 3-4 days. He said sometimes he averaged only 11 miles per gallon. Are these that bad on gas? I thought the specs were 17-20mpg, which I'm used to with my SUV. I'm not sure I'd be happy with 11 mpg though.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Where do you live? Where are you driving? Interstates? Big city? Little city?

On the interstate I get 22-23. In Fayetteville I get about 16. Fayetteville is a smaller city. You get up to around 45-50 and you have lights. Long lights which doesn't help. Then in NYC I get 9-11 mpg.

I live in St Louis. Driving would be a mix of city and highway. I would probably be getting around the same as you do in Fayetteville, 16 or so. I'm not the most efficient driver with fast cars to be honest, I love accelerating!!

Here's the link to the car I'm thinking about buying:

http://www.fastlanecars.com/classic-...f-2e20e4e556bd

Believe me I drive like a complete a hole. I don't baby the car. 16 is probably a good estimate.

----------

The pic of the center console. Look down at the stitching below the start button that goes down vertically and meets the horizontal portion of the console. There seems to be some extracurricular activity going on with that stitching.

Also, on the 2006-7, is that trim piece on the passenger side around the v logo not supposed to be the wood? Looks like the "aluminum" trim from base Sts. Is that right for this car or was it changed out.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    The trim on the dash is wood on my normal sts with a wood and aluminum combo around the nav.
    I don't recall seeing aluminum used over the airbag for any STS.

Someone on the forums has the all aluminum interior.

Check this out. http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ll-pass-12895/

Looks like someone might have grabbed a piece off a car with that interior

That just looks wrong.
    I actually covered my aluminum with black vinyl because of the sun glare off the aluminum trim was extremely blinding. I can't imagine having that much of it.
    If he did swap something I guess that would mean the V badge and STS badge in that strip are interchangeable.

But aside from that oddness it looks like all it really needs is a driver side door seal (torn up) and the driver seat has a lot of wear in it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.