2008 STS-V Problems post-engine swap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, 2008 STS-V Problems post-engine swap in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Never posted before, mostly read threads for the previous years. Read alot the past 2 weeks while dealing with current ...
    Assault Pilot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

2008 STS-V Problems post-engine swap

Never posted before, mostly read threads for the previous years. Read alot the past 2 weeks while dealing with current situation.

Here's the skinny (I'm at my wits end):

60k miles and I get a sudden drop in compression on #1 cylinder, dealer says cylinder walls are scored terribly. 18k and they'll throw in a new engine. I'm a disabled veteran, I can't afford that. Why the hell would my engine fail at 60k anyhow? Piston ring did infact score the wall terribly.

So I buy the Vol 3 factory service manual for engine section, subscribe to AllDatadiy.com for electronic versions of entire factory service manuals and I get a GM crate engine with no miles from a parts dealer, proceed to pull old engine and swap to new following all instructions. With back brace on the whole way, 4 months down the road, I have it swapped. Started it up and immediately idles rough. I do crank relearn, throttle relearn and troubleshoot some other items like leaking hoses etc.

Still idles terribly, I get the following codes:
    P0011 Camshaft position actuator A bank 2 Timing over advance
    P0016 Camshaft pos / crankshaft pos. Correlation sensor A Bank 1
    P0018 Camshaft pos / crankshaft pos. Correlation sensor A Bank 2

P0151 O2 Sensor Bank 2 low voltage

It is probably worth noting the oil pressure is really high. Idle:>60psi cruising: around 70-80psi.

I've swapped the Camshaft position sensors with my old units and back again. I get that timing is off. I got the engine with the heads/front cover/timing chain already together. I pulled out old engine and bolted everything from old to new. I primed the engine with oil just like the factory service manual states.

I understand that oil is supposed to fill the Camshaft position actuator for it to work. I don't know how to check that and I don't know how else to troubleshoot without reversing the swap and pulling the front cover off to double check the timing alignment. I may place C4 on the car and see how far it fly's when I blow it up.

This is the only "car" I've owned the past 15 years except a Jeep I've had since it rolled off the factory in 1998, I have thousands of hours in that jeep and have pulled/modded engine,tranny, axles. Ported and polished the head myself. Fabricated roll cage, swapped axle gears, installed lockers, Rebuilt transfer-case, fabricated long-arm suspension etc. so I'd say I'm an above novice mechanic with 20 years under the shade tree.

The STS-V was a present to myself for surviving Afghanistan and an end to 12 years of service thanks to injury. Welcome to a new life at the desk job.

Any of this tickling any brain matter for anyone? or do I pull out the high-explosives? I'm going to try the local Cadillac shops as well if they'll diagnose without charging an arm/leg. I can't afford to hock many more body parts. Besides they might recognize me as the guy that told them where they could go with their 18k dollar engine swap shenanigans.

BallBatt46 -out
    20131229_143055.jpg
    20140111_164854.jpg
    20131223_165657.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ChurchSTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX, 2007 STS-V
    Well welcome to the forums and thank you for your service. I an sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Some smart on here.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Re: 2008 STS-V Problems post-engine swap

Have you checked to make sure you don't have a pinched wiring harness?

Added: "check wiring harness for pinching" to my rolling actions items list. Thank you

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Oil pressure is normally that high, don't worry about that.

Cam timing on that bank is screwed. Got to check that before doing anything else.

Ok, looks like the engine is coming back out then. Thanks for the input.
    So my original mistake was then not checking the timing prior to putting it in the first place. Live and learn.

----------

Is it conceivable that I could get everything off to access timing chain with the engine still in vehicle? I recall months ago the dealership had it stripped down pretty far still in vehicle, they had the head off and the front cover bolts were loose once they found out the old engines cylinder walls were scored.

It's possible. You'll have to remove the radiator and possibly the condenser. You'll need to get the balancer off to get the front cover off.

Ok, thanks for the input.

Update*
    Reversed the engine install procedure enough to gain access to the timing chains, sure enough it was off. I set it per factory manual. Put it all back together. Just started it up after filling up the fluids.
    The timing codes are gone, but now I have P0300, random cylinder misfire.
    I am hoping a crankshaft variation relearn might address this.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Damn. Tim on the money.
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

Check the compression if that crank relearn doesn't work. Northstars are interference motors so it is possible that a couple valves got tagged and don't seal 100% now.

Have not done crank relearn yet. My handheld tuner turned into a paperweight, and with it went my ability to do crank relearn without help from the dealership.
    I had to move the car last night as the temperature dropped and the
    other car needed room in the garage. Anyway, ABS and traction control lights came on when I drove it out of the garage and to the driveway. Is this related or new symptoms?
    Thanks everyone for the responses.

Is the MAF plugged in?

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

If your handheld was plugged in take it out and plug it back in again. I have had those pop up sometimes when my scanner was plugged in, I just unplugged and replugged the scanner and all was good.

Maf is plugged in.

I did leave the code scanner plugged in. I'll check that out first thing tomorrow.

Thx

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.