Custom interior work STS-V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Custom interior work STS-V in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I'm thinking of wraping the airbag cover on the steering wheel with leather and some French stitching to match the ...
    Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Custom interior work STS-V

I'm thinking of wraping the airbag cover on the steering wheel with leather and some French stitching to match the rest of the interior. I think I'd go with the grey thread that's used on the dash and upper door panels.

I still have a lot of unanswered questions. I also need to practice this stitch on some cheaper fabric because I've pretty much never touched a needle.

1. When the airbag deploys does it swing the airbag cover completely out of the way or does it break the cover. If it breaks the cover, what path does the crack take?

2. How do you remove the airbag cover. I will completely disconnect the battery and wait a while and I'll touch the cables together so there's no issues with airbag deployment. But how do you actually remove the steering wheel cover?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions but let me know your thoughts and advice. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The airbag tears through the vinyl along embossed weak points on the backside.

You can remove the airbag as an assembly, but you cannot remove the vinyl "cover" from it. If you try to stitch it, you'll very likely either pierce the bag, or stitch it to the vinyl.

Don't even attempt it.

Re: Custom interior work STS-V

Well the plan was to wrap the leather right around the "vinyl" which I'm pretty convinced is just plastic. The leather would be shaved very thin which is how it's done in auto interior applications anyway. So with it being so thin I figured there wouldn't be fitment issues when putting the cover back on. The plan would also be to completely remove the cover and sew it on like that rather than try to sew with the bag still attached. I understand that this may be a very flawed plan because I don't know too much which is why I'm posing the question on the forum. Somehow I doubt you can't remove the cover from the airbag.

Are you saying the airbag cannot be disconnected from the cover? Have you tried this? Would looking at the backside of the cover tell you where exactly it would break? Are you talking about the 2008+ wheel in particular or are you making assumptions based on other wheels you've seen.

Not trying to question your knowledge I just want to know where it's coming from. Thanks for your response.

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Why not just fit it OVER the existing cover, and secure/attach with contact cement. Then no issues with removing, etc. In addition, if the airbag ever does go off, the top cove would simply fly off. Certainly seems the easier route. Not sure exactly how it would look around the edges, but I am not a seamstress, and would likely not attempt such a feat. Talk to the guys at a "carriage" house who do convertible roofs, headliners, upholstery, etc. - they are the experts when it comes to these things.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Would look nice but is a bad idea.
    The current cover is designed to tear open with a certain amount of force which would change if you did this.
    The current emblem on the cover was specially designed to not interfere with deployment of the bag. There were some videos on YouTube I saw about this.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

Bob thanks for the tip. That would be a route im willing to go as well. Unfortunately I don't think the airbag cover swings out of the way when the airbag deploys. The cover breaks along a prescribed route as moist cabbage describes above.

Luda, that's what I was afraid of. There is a company that does this for corvettes and it's been proven that there are no negative repercussions in the event of airbag deployment. They do the stitch along the route the steering wheel cover would break.

As confident as I am in my driving skills, you never know. And the last thing I'd want to do is put myself in any danger as nice as the mod would be. The only thing is I want to be 100% sure one way or the other - unsafe, or safe.

----------

Before I nix this plan I want confirmation that it is definitely unsafe. I'm thinking here that the best case is the cover doesn't break and swings out of the way. Unfortunately I doubt it. I'd just like some kind of confirmation.

Fierofiend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

Have a spare one made with some scrap material. Then you can deploy the airbag in a safe location as a test subject (videos on youtube). Then you can see the effects of how the cover fails.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    There is a company that does this for corvettes and it's been proven that there are no negative repercussions in the event of airbag deployment. They do the stitch along the route the steering wheel cover would break.
    If they can do it then it would be good to get something official from them in writing to that effect.
    Should the AirBag deploy improperly they would be held liable for the injuries due to improper deployment.

Might be a good idea to check out photos of blown bags on our style of caddy wheel to see where and how it splits.

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If the airbag does deploy improperly, would it be you or your next of kin asking them to take responsibility for the faulty workmanship???? Not something I would care to mess with. I hereby retract any advice, suggestions or ideas I may have put into your head. IMHO, best to leave well enough alone.

Thanks guys I'm gonna go with fierofiend's route.

Luda, the first thing I did was search for pics of that but couldn't find any.

Bob, that's where I'm leaning at this point.

Well that's the end of that. Decided against this. Thanks everyone.
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv
    Cool only goes so far.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Dave G is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I do agree with you - I hate the material on the steering wheel.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Just sat in a 2014 cts with the brown seats and leather dash and door panels. Beautiful interior. And the steering wheel had the stitching so it had me thinking. Whatever. There's too much to love about this car to fuss over something like that.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

OMG-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V
    Don't let this car turn you into a seamstress. ) Black rims is all it needs now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.