If CAI Void Warranty Will Exhaust?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, If CAI Void Warranty Will Exhaust? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Ok I have 2 1/2 years or about 30000 miles before my warranty is up. My question is if a ...
    LT4USMC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 STS-V

If CAI Void Warranty Will Exhaust?

Ok I have 2 1/2 years or about 30000 miles before my warranty is up. My question is if a cold air intake will void my warranty will Borla, Corsa, or Gibson exhaust or do I have to stay with GM? Wasn't an aftermarket manufacture offered by GM Performance? I think it was Borla but it might have been Corsa. Any info would help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Re: If CAI Void Warranty Will Exhaust?

They can only void your warranty if it is proven that any failure is the result of said aftermarket part.

If you put a CAI on, and your power window motor goes out, they can't deny that.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57 View Post
    They can only void your warranty if it is proven that any failure is the result of said aftermarket part.

If you put a CAI on, and your power window motor goes out, they can't deny that.
    But anything that CAI touches they can deny if it could contribute to failure, for example if you ingest water and hydro-lock the engine, they can and most likely will blame the CAI. A friend had this very scenario happen on his Corvette. The stock air intake is tuned for quieting intake noise but also for giving water a way out of the box if it is ingested. CAIs eliminated these safety designs and give water a direct path into your engine just as it is designed for the air.

Personally, my belief is that unless your car is a sunny day only car, I wouldn't install one.

Now exhaust is a different story, I have and do change out the exhaust systems on my vehicles. It would be pretty hard to blame a failure on an exhaust system.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    GMPP exhaust for the STS and STS-V is Borla.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Yep what they said*^^^ have it on my car love the sound. I had magnaflow on my 06 but it was droney at 65-70 the borla is not.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by 1madstsv
    Yep what they said*^^^ have it on my car love the sound. I had magnaflow on my 06 but it was droney at 65-70 the borla is not.
    You just have magnaflow cans or did they make an exhaust system too? I only knew of Borla (GMPP) Corsa and Gibson.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Just mufflers with the stock tips welled on and 2 foot of pipe from the muffler shop. Total was only $225 in stalled.

rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv
    I have Tims intake, different pullies, throttle body, and corsa exhaust while my warranty was still valid and the dealership I went to had no issues at all. The service manager explained just as what was described here. As long as the part that is being warrantied isn't broken as a result of any modification from stock form then you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by wake View Post
    But anything that CAI touches they can deny if it could contribute to failure, for example if you ingest water and hydro-lock the engine, they can and most likely will blame the CAI. A friend had this very scenario happen on his Corvette. The stock air intake is tuned for quieting intake noise but also for giving water a way out of the box if it is ingested. CAIs eliminated these safety designs and give water a direct path into your engine just as it is designed for the air.

Personally, my belief is that unless your car is a sunny day only car, I wouldn't install one.

Now exhaust is a different story, I have and do change out the exhaust systems on my vehicles. It would be pretty hard to blame a failure on an exhaust system.
    That IS what I said. Please re-read.

People, I did this stuff for a living. I've seen everything, heard everything. There is not an argument you can make that I have not heard. People like to throw out the Magnusson-Moss act to. The mag-moss act is there to legitmately protect people from modifying their car, and then being denied warranty coverage for something that broke but was not caused by that aftermarket part (see my analogy about installing a CAI, and then your power window motor failing). THAT is what it is there to protect you against! It however, DOES NOT protect you from your own stupidity (to put it bluntly), and there to also protect the OEM from having to pay for parts failure caused by inexpierienced weekend warriors, installing stuff that isn't OEM and then having failures directly linked to that aftermarket part.

rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv
    In your guys experiences have you seen much "wiggle room" from dealership to dealership?

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57 View Post
    That IS what I said. Please re-read.

People, I did this stuff for a living. I've seen everything, heard everything. There is not an argument you can make that I have not heard. People like to throw out the Magnusson-Moss act to. The mag-moss act is there to legitmately protect people from modifying their car, and then being denied warranty coverage for something that broke but was not caused by that aftermarket part (see my analogy about installing a CAI, and then your power window motor failing). THAT is what it is there to protect you against! It however, DOES NOT protect you from your own stupidity (to put it bluntly), and there to also protect the OEM from having to pay for parts failure caused by inexpierienced weekend warriors, installing stuff that isn't OEM and then having failures directly linked to that aftermarket part.
    I wasn't contradicting you, only expanding on the simple CAI and power window motor scenario.

A lot of people don't think about what they add to their vehicles and how it might affect future warranty claims. Some things, like putting a nitrous kit on or swapping to a smaller pulley on a S/C car will void your engine warranty, they might not think though about how it could affect their tranny or driveaxle claims in the future.

Less aggressive mods like a CAI where people don't really think about ingesting water. Or a tune that might be detected by the dealer or GM trying to find a way to deny a warranty claim. Or even something like adding to or replacing the factory entertainment system could cause you electrical system warranty denial in the future.

And sometimes, even a part that is endorsed by GM can cause you some temporary problems with a dealership mechanic or service manager that doesn't know their product. The only new car I bought in my life was when I lived in sunny So Cal. I had a brand new Trans Am and purchased the GMPP CAI kit. A dealer I took it into for warranty work threatened to void my warranty for the CAI. I was in for the infamous intake oil leak and that shiny chrome CAI was the first thing they noticed when they opened the hood, trying to blame the CAI since it is connected to the intake. I told them to look it up in the GMPP catalog and get back to me, they did and agreed to make the warranty repair. It shouldn't have had to go any further than me proving it was a GM part.

Denying a warranty claim is legitimate at times, and I'm sure some people manage to sneak a repair that shouldn't be covered past the warranty/manufacturer. There are quite a few times though when the manufacturer will try to wrongly deny warranty claims, maybe not on a generic Chevy Cavalier but when you're talking about Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, or any other enthusiast type of car it does happen.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by rbzstsv View Post
    In your guys experiences have you seen much "wiggle room" from dealership to dealership?
    Yes, dealerships are comprised of individuals just like any other business. I've had good and bad experiences sometimes within the same business (not just autos), sometimes it's who you got lucky or unlucky enough to get to service you.

A good example I have is a warranty issue I had on my 97 Trans Am when it was new. Living in the southwest you could drive pretty fast on those long, flat, empty stretches of interstate. My car had a vibration at around 80mph, I took it to the dealer an they replaced the steel driveshaft with an aluminum one from the GMPP catalog, turns out there was a TSB for this problem. Another guy I knew had his claim denied by the same dealership where I had mine replaced because the service manager he had felt that it wasn't within the maximum speed limit on CA highways, 75mph. He ended up going to another dealership and had his driveshaft replaced under warranty.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    A friend of mine bought my 99 Grand Am GT 3.4L V6 several years ago now and decided he wanted to add a fender well CAI to it. We did it and it sure sounded nice and add mental HP to the car. A few months later he was driving in a really heavy rain and drove through a puddle around 30-35mph that ended up blowing water through the cone filter and into the intake. The amount of damage done to the engine by the intake of water totaled the car by insurance standards even though the car was still immaculate condition aside from the engine failure due to water intake.

pwrsix is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    GMPP exhaust for the STS and STS-V is Borla.
    I just put this on my car. I love the sound. Just enough.

A lot depends on how you worked me over. If you came in, were nice, heck, even prodded me with cash, or chocolate, or maybe one of my favorite German beers, I would see about bending the rules and playing the system a little. Good looking females, showing a little more than you would in church also helps matters along. In seriousness, I did not take bribes.

However, if you came in, in a tirade, screaming and bitching, telling me what a P.O.S. this thing is (despite you causing the failure most likely), and how you spent $XX,XXX on it for it to have these issues (I'd be a retired billionaire if I logged each time I got told that!), demanding to see my boss and/or the owner of the dealership, I pretty much decided right away to take your car out back, let it sit for 8 hours (while you wait of course), only to tell you it isn't covered under warranty. Then when you blow another headgasket, we all get to enjoy telling you to piss off.

There are ways to "play" in the system (at least there were when I was doing it), and of course all dealerships can "goodwill" warranty something at THEIR discretion and hope GM pays them back.

Most of you probably don't realize this, but when you bring your vehicle in for warranty work, GM isn't paying for it right then and there. The dealership is the one that foots the bill, then GM pays them back after doing audits on all claimes made a month, 3 months, etc, later. Ones that are generally higher in claim cost or nature would get special attention, but the point remains, the dealership takes it on the chin until GM reimburses them! As such, "goodwill warrantying" can sometimes be a roll of the dice with them (both dealership and GM), and sometimes it can burn them (the dealership). However, bending a little to keep a good customer happy can pay dividends in the long run.

To make a long story short, I'm a car guy. If you came in, you had a CAI on your car, and you had an issue I would probably not bat an eyelash (provided it wasn't something egregious like an LC3 shortblock or something). In pure technical sense it probably shouldn't get covered, but again, I realize that in reality such a thing as a CAI, probably didn't play a critical role in the failure and can play the system. However, one of our other service managers was a "by the letter of GM's law!" person and didn't give an inch. All he needed to see was your CAI on there, and the car gets blacklisted. He was a dick too, but that wasn't surprising.

My advice to you, find a Caddy dealer you trust. Then discuss things with the service manager. Layout the parts you want to install, get his feedback, and see how he feels. Often a lot of Vette guys would do this with us. Again, my friend who was the main service manager, and myself, along with a couple other guys, were all car guys and would be a little more lenient. But all it would take is getting that one guy that was a dick and you were blacklisted.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.