Merry Gibson exhaust Christmas to me
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Merry Gibson exhaust Christmas to me in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Just wanted to share with anyone looking for the Gibson axle back exhaust. Autoanything has the aluminized steel units for ...
    06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

Merry Gibson exhaust Christmas to me

Just wanted to share with anyone looking for the Gibson axle back exhaust. Autoanything has the aluminized steel units for as cheap as I have seen. With their holiday promo you get 20% off and free shipping. Add the $25 mail in rebate from Gibson and it's $225 shipped.

Yes, I ordered mine for Chrismas. Now I just have to figure out how to hide it from the woman

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Re: Merry Gibson exhaust Christmas to me

Send it to me for a test fitting and run. That'll hide it perfectly!
    06 STS Rob likes this.

Installed the exhaust last night.

I LOVE the sound! Not too loud but enough to give a good deep tone. I also LOVE the tips. Nice size and quality.
    As everyone here has said before, the tips do stick out a bit far and the mufflers do hang a bit low, but over all a good system for just $225
    I had these installed in less than an hour doing it by myself. I will probably work on fitting the hangers a little bit better in order to get the mufflers up out of sight better. My big concern was how close the drivers side pipe is to the sway bar. This is the reason I didn't mess with cutting or fitting last night. I'm sure I will need to take my time and do several test fits in order to get everything where I'm truely happy. Of course, now is not the right time to do so with the holidays and all.

Over all, I would recommend this system for the guy on a budget who would rather not spend $1,000+ on an exhaust system. (like myself)
    parkeraire likes this.

brbevil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Picked one up based on your thread. Great price with 20% off and free shipping. Came in yesterday and will try to have installed this weekend. Can't wait!

I installed mine in about an hour. I did swap out the exhaust clamps that came with the kit for some better clamps. Just an idea... I got them at JEGS for $9 each.
    Don't forget to download your $25 mail in rebate from Gibson too!

ChurchSTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX, 2007 STS-V
    Any pics or sound clips?

Quote Originally Posted by ChurchSTSV View Post
    Any pics or sound clips?
    I didn't bother since this is nothing "new" to the forum but I can certainly snap some photos and do a sound clip if your interested. I'll try to get them up this weekend.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Any regrets on the change?

I'd like to do it on my AWD STS but unsure about pulling the trigger on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

No regrets so far. The left side hangs a bit lower than the right but I was expecting that based on reviews in the forum. I plan on working that out after the holidays when I have more time to play around with it. There is a natural frequency that creates a small vibration somewhere in the seat belt assembly at a certain RPM that kinda sucks but a small change in RPM makes it go away. Other than that, I love it. I've been given several complinents on it already by coworkers and friends.
    Best part is, the woman didn't even notice it. We drove 30miles to my Mom's house for dinner and she didn't even notice the sound. Of course, she's not into that kind of stuff so I doubt she even paid attention.

rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv
    I wish my wife didn't notice! Lol I've been put on hold till we buy her a new SUV. A wise man told me to figure out how to show her my happiness is best. Lol basically "happy wife happy life" but reversed. I will be selling these secrets if I ever figure it out.

Wise man once told me "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" I've been going with that! HA HA HA!

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by 06 STS Rob View Post
    No regrets so far. The left side hangs a bit lower than the right but I was expecting that based on reviews in the forum. I plan on working that out after the holidays when I have more time to play around with it. There is a natural frequency that creates a small vibration somewhere in the seat belt assembly at a certain RPM that kinda sucks but a small change in RPM makes it go away. Other than that, I love it. I've been given several complinents on it already by coworkers and friends.
    Best part is, the woman didn't even notice it. We drove 30miles to my Mom's house for dinner and she didn't even notice the sound. Of course, she's not into that kind of stuff so I doubt she even paid attention.
    Yeah, you have the same problems as I did. Left side hanging lower, small vibration inside I want to say around 1700-1900 rpm under light load.

Good luck on trying to get it leveled, I spent an afternoon on my back in the driveway and turning the rubber hanger sideways was the only thing that even remotely helped. I must have tried 30 or more times trying to get it right before that, it always came back to hang lower. In the end, what helped bring the left side up for me was taking the rubber muffler hanger off and turning it sideways. That makes it a little shorter/tighter and brought up the left side to be good enough.

I'm also contemplating getting shorter rubber hangers and maybe doubling it up for strength to try to pull it up another half inch. Advance Auto sells a few variations of that mount design. The stock one looked a little stretched out on my sideways mounting but hasn't torn yet.

One nice thing I noticed with the Gibson is that economy has gone up by about 2mpg, measured on my same work commute on summer gas. I could get 23.5 mpg average over the tank (70/30 highway/city on my 100 mile a day work commute), it has dropped back down to 21 mpg on the winter gas we have now. This was measured using gas actually put in and not the trip computer. Before the exhaust though I couldn't get better than 19 mpg on winter gas a year ago when I bought the car. The stock exhaust seems pretty restrictive to me. I wish GM would put the Borla on from the factory, with this type of enthusiast vehicle they don't have to market the exhaust sound to grandpa.

The sound is better than stock but I'm going to keep my eye out for a Borla system to come up on eBay, Amazon, or on-line vendor for a good price.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Quote Originally Posted by 06 STS Rob View Post
    Was this part as simple as it looks?
    Cut the OEM pipes and slide the new ones over the top of the OEM piping and clamp it down?

Do you or Wake have shots of the hangers?

Yes, it's really that simple. I used a magnetic level to make sure the mufflers were level once the hangers were in place then tightened up the clamps.
    I don't have any pictures of the hangers right now. I'll put some up tomorrow. My though is to pull the exhaust back off and cut or bend the hanger on the left side and weld it back up to bring it to the same height as the right.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.