cams
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, cams in Cadillac V-Series Forums; what cam should I go with, only mods so far are stage 2 intake, corsa exhaust and 2.5 supercharger pulley...
    deji is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): sts v

cams

what cam should I go with, only mods so far are stage 2 intake, corsa exhaust and 2.5 supercharger pulley

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Fierofiend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

Re: cams

Wut?

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

You do realize that there are 4 cams with VVT on this engine, right? It isn't just as simple as opening a comp cams catalog and picking out a grind...

But investing in such an involved item isn't really necessary for basic bolt-ons! You're gain won't be worth the money/effort spent.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57
    You do realize that there are 4 cams with VVT on this engine, right? It isn't just as simple as opening a comp cams catalog and picking out a grind...

But investing in such an involved item isn't really necessary for basic bolt-ons! You're gain won't be worth the money/effort spent.
    VVT has NOTHING to do with it. Every Northstar since beginning production from the L37 and LD8 in 1993 to the obd compliant ones in 96 to the redesign in 2000 and the advent of the rwd LH2 in 2003 and then the hand built LC3 in 2006 has been a dohc 32v motor running quad cams.

Really! I had no idea that the N*, since it's advent, along with Shortstars/Aurora V8's were DOHC 32 valve motors running quad cams. Wow! You learn something new everyday. Not that I didn't do time in a GM service department and worked on them for a living!

Anyway, on a more non-sarcastic, serious note, I have never re-phased an LC3, so I cannot speak to it and it's VVT pre-cam degreeing/phasing setup, but I do know, from having to do a few of the regular Northstar's including the L37's, LH2's, LD8' (owned an LD8 and L47 Aurora V8 personally), over the years, there are some requirements to realignment of all 4 cams, which needs to have the crankshaft sprocket and intermediate sprockets need to be aligned. I believe the camshaft drive pins need to be positioned 90* to the head decks. I'm recalling this from memory, so shoot me if I miss a thing or two, but...

1) Re-install the primary and secondary chain guides.
    2) Rotate the crank until the crank sprocket drive key is in the 1 o'clock position. I think OTC makes the tool to turn the crank. We had it in parts, so...
    3) Crankshaft and intermediate sprockets need to have the drive chain installed around them, and they should be have their timing marks opposite each other. Install the intermediate sprocket retainer bolt, and then install the main chain tensioner. At this point, I recall that the tensioner block/shoe can be released and bolts can be tightened down.
    4) Ensure all timing marks are vertical, and lock the crank into place with that OTC tool.
    5) Install drive chain for LH drive, over the intermediate sprocket, be sure to have the CMP installed.
    6) Install the secondary drive chain over chain guide, install the exhaust camshaft sprocket to the chain. The camshaft drive pin has to engage the notch marked LE (left exhaust).
    7) Install the intake camshaft sprocket into the chain. The notch marked LI (left intake) engages the camshaft drive pin. This pin should remain perpendicular to the cylinder head face.
    8) Install the exhaust sprocket bolt
    9) Install the intake sprocket bolt

Now repeat this for the RH side.

Again, not sure now the VVT phasing the LC3 has will impact this process, because I never recammed an LC3. But I would like to think conceptually, that adding any form of artificial phasing would require a more involved amount of static degreeing to the camshafts. I could be wrong though.

This isn't like an LS1, throwing in a camshaft, cylinder #1 intake up, then degreeing it 112* (or whatever you wish to dial it in as), (my cliff notes version)...

This is a little more involved, especially when you change the geometry of the cam lobes, durations, and lobe seperations (the whole concept of upgrading the cams), done over 4 camshafts, I would also think a little more attention gets paid to degreeing them properly to work properly. Otherwise this whole process is for naught.

Also, on another note, GM Motorsports at one time had a book on the Indy Aurora V8 and developing it for performance/competition. VERY interesting bathroom reading. I should dig it up and refresh even my meager mind. I know It took a couple times of reading just to absorb some of the info as it is much more complex than other GM engines of that vintage.

Oh really. Read your post skippy. Sure as hell sounds like your making the claim it has four cams for the VVT.

You do realize that there are 4 cams with VVT on this engine, right?
    Since you work on them and know everything Mr IKE I suppose we should all now down before you. Heck you should be able to answer your own question about the V not having ACC or how about being unable to parallel park itself like the XTS. Or how about the loss of the vacuum controlled ebrake release or power trunk pull down like older caddys had... Darn I just love to complain about the things my car doesn't have that make it an old man lazy car instead of something I might actually have to drive.

And yes I just 1 upped your asinine sarcasm.

On the LC3 there are 4 camshafts, right?

On the LC3, there are 4 camshaft phasing actuators, right?

If you want to resort to name calling, I'll let fly too.

Perhaps I wasn't clear... maybe this will help you... the LC3 is a 4 cam V8 with VVT.

Sorry for the confusion.

On the LC3 there are 4 camshafts, right?

On the LC3, there are 4 camshaft phasing actuators, right?

If you want to resort to name calling, I'll let fly too.

Perhaps I wasn't clear... maybe this will help you... the LC3 is a 4 cam V8 with VVT.

Sorry for the confusion.
    That sir is a correct statement for the LC3 and LH2 no argument there. But it has absoultly nothing to do with his question about camming it.
    CHRFAB will spec out any set of four cams he can possible desire.

OP. As much as I hate them you may want to talk to D3 when you get into cams. TimmyC will also be a good source he 1 offed a turbo for his and tuned for it.

I never doubt that can be done.

I guess in my mind it boils down to cost vs. benefit.

Dave G is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

The STS-V has 4 cams making a cam swap expensive

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac

Nobody makes cam blanks so the only option is reground stock. I'm pretty sure no one has done it with the VVT motors. The cost/benefit doesn't make sense to me at this time so I'm not actively pursuing the option.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

We did custom cams for this motor back in 07. We did see some nice gains, but if I recall correctly we had our hands full with the ECU. But at that time we didn't have as many parameters available to us in terms of tuning variables. I would say, from experience, that there might be other options you would want to look at before going down the path of cams.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.