v10 in the sts-v in the future?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, v10 in the sts-v in the future? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I've read on gminisidenews that a lot of caddy vehicles are getting a massive power bump and one of them ...
    Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

v10 in the sts-v in the future?

I've read on gminisidenews that a lot of caddy vehicles are getting a massive power bump and one of them happens to be the sts-v and xlr-v. They will be using a LSx based v10 instead of s/c northstar.
    http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showt...threadid=13450

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Afreet1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: v10 in the sts-v in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_concours
    I've read on gminisidenews that a lot of caddy vehicles are getting a massive power bump and one of them happens to be the sts-v and xlr-v. They will be using a LSx based v10 instead of s/c northstar.
    http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showt...threadid=13450
    as much as I would love to see a 500hp N/A motor in the STS-V and XLR-Vs I highly doubt that GM will do it, they just dumped tons of money into the 4.4L SC northstar. GM / Caddy is too much like Sony in this regard, suffering from the "Not invented here" problem. It seems they loath the fact that Caddy is using a Corvette engine. Look at the aftermarket engine covers, they don't say Cadillac on it, they say Corvette. Why do you think that is?

Of course any undergraduate finance major will tell you that GM's sunk cost of the SC 4.4L Northstart should NEVER impact their future decisions if the market is demanding something else. If the majority do not want the 4.4L (I am in this camp) then GM should focus on how to put an engine such as the LS2 or LS7 into the STS-V and XLR-V.

This SHOULD be a $0 additional investment since the SAE STS had a supercharged LS2 making 502HP already installed and working.

I am waiting for the STS-V and XLR-V launches to see the performance numbers. Going on power / weight ratios, 440HP doesn't seem to cut it in getting the STS-V and XLR-V to its closest competitors.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

GM just put a lot of money into the supercharged northstars, they're not going to immediately change engines, especially since plenty of people like the engine. More people will appreciate a SC 4.4 over any pushrod engine, especially a 90* V10 IMO. Just turn up the boost enough for a STS-V to beat an M5 and call it good for a few years. If they have to do something, they can use the XV12.

bballer113 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    GM just put a lot of money into the supercharged northstars, they're not going to immediately change engines, especially since plenty of people like the engine. More people will appreciate a SC 4.4 over any pushrod engine, especially a 90* V10 IMO. Just turn up the boost enough for a STS-V to beat an M5 and call it good for a few years. If they have to do something, they can use the XV12.
    I think the mental thinking of GM and Caddy will start to shift towards making Automobiles that are better than the competition and not just good enough. Thats why I think they will put the SC LS2 engine in the CTS, STS and XLR.

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

i agree with dave. if they are thinking V10, its a ways off. these are the same guys that talk about RWD cars for buick, checvy, etc. being just around the corner in 2009

If they needed to reduce the bore size from 4.6L to 4.4L wouldn't the extra boost tear the engine apart?

I think it would be a mistake if GM introduces an engine that gets a bad media and public response then decides to change the engine. Plus it would burn a lot of the initial buyers.

Haleykeek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Seville STS North*

hey guys!!!!!!!!! is it true that General Motors just killed the promised LS V10 in favor of a supercharged 6.0Litre V8? and is it also true that the next SS-pickup will get 500bhp version of that engine?if any of this is true,then that will leave an opportunity for the Z06 to wear a blower in future power plants.maybe the CTS-V will finally get it's 500bhp wish.

ktills45 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The CTS -V already compares favorably with the V10 M5. With an extra 40hp, and less weight, the XLR-V should be a screamer. The STS-V should be in the same league as the M5.

The M5 has a real high redline, but it needs all of it to make 350lb/ft of torque. The N* will be making that on idle.

Quote Originally Posted by bballer113
    I think the mental thinking of GM and Caddy will start to shift towards making Automobiles that are better than the competition and not just good enough. Thats why I think they will put the SC LS2 engine in the CTS, STS and XLR.
    The thing is, I don't care how smooth and powerful you make an LS2 (or any other pushrod motor,) it's still a Chevy motor. Putting a Chevy motor in your top of the line cars in your top of the line brand is NOT gonna fly with premium luxury buyers. They (we) want refined power, we want to have an exclusive engine like the northstar, not some run of the mill Chevy. Too many of you don't realise this...

Quote Originally Posted by Afreet1
    If they needed to reduce the bore size from 4.6L to 4.4L wouldn't the extra boost tear the engine apart?
    I don't know. I'm sure they can beat the M and AMG series with the STS if they try though. If they can't do it with the SC 4.4, offer the 7.5L XV12 as an option. An XV12 pushing at least 500hp (we know it can hit 750 in the Cien concept, but 550 or so would be more realistic) would put the BMW v10 to shame and the AMG motors wouldn't come close. XV12s would be essentially untouchable.

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The thing is, I don't care how smooth and powerful you make an LS2 (or any other pushrod motor,) it's still a Chevy motor. Putting a Chevy motor in your top of the line cars in your top of the line brand is NOT gonna fly with premium luxury buyers. They (we) want refined power, we want to have an exclusive engine like the northstar, not some run of the mill Chevy. Too many of you don't realise this...

I don't know. I'm sure they can beat the M and AMG series with the STS if they try though. If they can't do it with the SC 4.4, offer the 7.5L XV12 as an option. An XV12 pushing at least 500hp (we know it can hit 750 in the Cien concept, but 550 or so would be more realistic) would put the BMW v10 to shame and the AMG motors wouldn't come close. XV12s would be essentially untouchable.
    sl65 is putting out 600+hp and 700+lbft(torque limited due to automatic transmission limitations)

I don't really care who makes the motor, but any V10 would definately get me in the dealership

Afreet1, if that's the case you don't represent many premium buyers. But wouldn't an XV12 northstar get you in the dealership even faster?

Devil_Concours, the STS-V's competition is M5 at 500hp and E55 at 469hp. A DTS-V or even ULS-V if made today would be the one to deal with S65 AMG at 604hp. The XV12 in the Cien made 750hp, so I think an XV12 could top the S65 AMG. If we still have a problem, make a S/C XV12, if we still have a problem make a Sixteen, if we still have a problem supercharge the Sixteen.

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

It's likely I won't be purchasing a Cadillac with a Northstar. I'll stick with my Corvette and my Corvette powered Cadillac, I just love the grunt of a pushrod motor. I would love to see a supercharged LS2 or an LS7 in a Cadillac though. A race proven easily modified motor is a must to compete in my book.

Afreet1, if that's the case you don't represent many premium buyers. But wouldn't an XV12 northstar get you in the dealership even faster?
    As I said, I don't really care who make the motor, as long as the end product performs as needed then I will be happy. I just don't see a 440HP 4.4L doing it, I can see a supercharges LS2 or whatever high HP NA northstar comes down the line. I don't think the majority of buyers do either. I think they first want to know. A) what are the HP and 0-60 specs, B) does that beat my neighbors SL55 AMG? The goal is to have a nice, high performance semi-supercar and still play the bench race game. If it comes to paying 10,000 more for a 6L V8 northstar vs. an LS2. Give me the LS2. As for the majority of luxury car buyers, we can't know that unless we do a fresh survey can we?

ktills45 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Afreet, no one except the guys currently driving the 440SC N* off the assembly line actually know how it will perform in the XLR or STS-V, but it appears your selling it short, sight unseen.

Consider the SL55 AMG weighs in at 4200lb. XLR-V at 3800lb. SL55 AMG hits 60 in 4.7 sec. XLR-V in under 5. No doubt that the XLR-V will out handle the SL55 AMG, unless the Corvette suspension has become obsolete.

And in reading about the acceleration of the SL55AMG, it's not the acceration that Edmunds likes, it's the 'effortless' acceleration. IE no loud noises.

The ZO6 will make tons of noise, snort, snarl, and burn rubber all the way to 5th gear. And it happens to be the best place for an old pushrod V-8.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.