Utlimate goal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Utlimate goal in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Have an goal set for my V 700HP to the crank so that 560RWHP I believe it's a realistic goal ...
    iLuvEasy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V Raven

Utlimate goal

Have an goal set for my V 700HP to the crank so that 560RWHP I believe it's a realistic goal just got to put the upgrades in and find some good gear heads to help me along the way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OMG-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V
    V700 CTSV? As in Hennessey V700?

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Re: Utlimate goal

I was gonna say, the CTS-V section is above us.

No I have 06 STSV that stock

We're kidding.

Not that this car doesn't respond well to basic mods, the problem is going to be, such a goal costs money. On this thing it's going to cost A LOT of money, because a lot of it is going to have to be one-off type stuff, custom fab, and perhaps a lot of giggle gas. Then do it while maintaining some level of reliability, driveability, and overall usefulness.

So what it really boils down to, is while you have set that goal, what is your cost - benefit breaking point.

Did you see that episode of Jay Leno's Garage where they showed a 2011 CTSV tuned up by Hennessey for $20k and called it V700 which stands for 700hp?

neurotictim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, stock. Blacked-Out 2007 CTS 3.6 "Odd One"
    Quote Originally Posted by OMG-V View Post
    Did you see that episode of Jay Leno's Garage where they showed a 2011 CTSV tuned up by Hennessey for $20k and called it V700 which stands for 700hp?
    Yep. Sick. Ya know, if you've got a smooth $20k laying around, that is. Thing with that is that Hennessey makes them so solid that they're actually reliable daily drivers.

Good luck with that 700 goal, I'm interested in seeing what you have to do to meet that benchmark. My advice? Start with TimmyC - seems like he's the man 'round these parts as far as the STS-V go fast department is concerned.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

The brick wall you're going to hit, and then probably spend a lot of money to get around, is battling heat. Or more appropriately, getting the heat out of the intercooler under boost conditions.

You can't just simply "throw a pulley on" like so many people think (and like to do), with S/C'd engines. A byproduct of compressing more air into a tight spot is... HEAT! And our stock intercooler on top of the engine blows as far as scavenging that heat. So in the end, all you'll be doing is cramming more hot air into the engine...

Figure out a way to get the cores to run in parallel I.E. individually (vs. the series way they are now), and then run a bigger exchanger and pump (which Tim and D3 already have addressed). The key though is the thermal exchange in the intercooler itself.

Yep. Reliable is key. If you just need to race it once then there are options. Still need to pump ton of dollars into the project. Hence, some go to CTSV to achieve that 700hp goal. Better suspension too

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57
    The brick wall you're going to hit, and then probably spend a lot of money to get around, is battling heat. Or more appropriately, getting the heat out of the intercooler under boost conditions. You can't just simply "throw a pulley on" like so many people think (and like to do), with S/C'd engines. A byproduct of compressing more air into a tight spot is... HEAT! And our stock intercooler on top of the engine blows as far as scavenging that heat. So in the end, all you'll be doing is cramming more hot air into the engine... Figure out a way to get the cores to run in parallel I.E. individually (vs. the series way they are now), and then run a bigger exchanger and pump (which Tim and D3 already have addressed). The key though is the thermal exchange in the intercooler itself.
    C,

I'm pretty impressed by your level of tech knowledge and ability to explain it. Anyone calls you Mr Wiki?

Ok I'm get with TimmyC I seen a picture of the heat exchanger he has and ask him what he thinks

I appreciate it, but there are A LOT of other smart guys on here too. I'm really good at the repair side of things as that's how I made my living at one point in time. It just boils down to understanding what is going on.

Edited to add;

Here is an exploded view of our S/C and intercooler. The issue is the design in parts 836 and 837. The way those castings are designed is so that the coolant flows into those laminer cores 831 x4, where there are two in series with each other. Basically Dexcool flows into core #1, then core #2, then out and back to the I/C radiator. Repeat this process for the other two cores. Well in each of those series, if the coolant absorbs the heat from the first core, what is it NOT doing when it hits the second core... Nothing! So unless you (the O.P.) have your own, personal CNC machine, or know someone that does, that can create parts #836 and #837 in a way to get the coolant to run indivdually and then letting each core have it's own coolant, you're sitting here like the rest of us... looking at CTS-V's. With only 2,500 STS-V's and 500 XLR-V's with this desogn, it's hard to get an aftermarket supporter willing to do this R&D, then manufacturer, market, and sell a part to 60 people who will actually mod theirs with said part.

I hope TimmyC is reading this...

I see the problem. what the most rwhp you heard of someone having on this car?

TimmyC got 480 on his.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

The biggest problem you'll run into is the supercharger itself. It does not have the capacity to move 700hp worth of air. I'm at 480 and I've seen 490rwhp a couple times. That's as high as anyone has gone with the stock supercharger

You have two options if you want 560rwhp: turbo or Whipple supercharger. I can do either one but neither are cheap. Email me at t_coel@yahoo.com to discuss.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.