Striking the balance - Power/Economy
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Striking the balance - Power/Economy in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Seems like there are a number of guys here who have done various stages of modding, so I'm curious. What ...
    neurotictim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V mostly stock

Striking the balance - Power/Economy

Seems like there are a number of guys here who have done various stages of modding, so I'm curious.

What kind of rwhp are you making, and what kind of mileage are you getting now?

I'm debating exactly what I want to do with this car. I keep thinking I'll shoot for a nice round number - 400, 450 maybe, but I'm also wondering what kind of impact that will have on the efficiency of the car.

As it stands now, I'm thinking Spectre intake and aftermarket exhaust (though I haven't really looked into it yet), and maybe a smaller pulley and tune, for a moderate increase in power. I don't think I want to get into changing out injectors and fuel pumps, and I don't think I want to go as far as headers - probably cat-back exhaust, unless there's no real gain, in which case I'll just go with somewhat more aggressive sounding mufflers.

I'm hoping to lower the car, if D3 can settle whatever issue they're having with customer service and have them available after the first of the year.

So would you modded guys care to comment on what kind of mileage you're seeing at what power level? I am, apparently, already on the high end of the average - over a month of mixed driving and I'm averaging 18.5(ish) a tank. I'm not hugely concerned with it, but I AM curious.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Nimoch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Re: Striking the balance - Power/Economy

I have a Spectre II Intake, muffler delete, and custom HP Tune from TimmyC. At 80mph cruise I average 24 MPG. In town daily driving varies from 12 to 15. Spirited in town driving will earn you single digit MPG. I rarely get asked what MPG I get; it's kind of assumed you don't care what it is when you mod and tune a V series.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

18.5 mpg is great.

I'm nowhere near that unless I'm driving on the highway, cruise set, driving like an old lady.

412 rwhp on Speed Inc's dynojet 248c.

On our way back from Woodward, even with some blasts well into triple digits that would've gotten me a permanent jail sentence, disciplining some hammer head in a mustang GT, I still managed ~19mpg.

- Spectre intake (both parts)
    - Magnaflow mufflers
    - 160* t-stat
    - Speed Inc. tune

Don't waste your time with a pulley until you address the intercooler and it's lack of actual cooling capability after a few WOT runs. All you're doing is pushing more hot air into an engine...

Future things (like maybe this spring);
    - Timmy C intercooler upgrade
    - Meth on top of it.

The real issue with this car is heatsoak.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimoch View Post
    I rarely get asked what MPG I get; it's kind of assumed you don't care what it is when you mod and tune a V series.
    It's not a deal breaker by any means. If I was worried about mileage I certainly wouldn't have plopped my hard-earned scratch on a 4000+lb, 450+hp car, lol. It's more curiosity than anything, but I was wondering what it would look like with some mild mods; essentially I'm asking if I do something along CMNTMXR57's mod list would put me down into the low teens, so that I can make an informed decision about whether the mods would be worth the gas.

I don't expect to do a lot, if any, tracking of this car. Modding for me would be purely for the butt dyno factor, and I tend to drive it pretty conservatively in general. I just like having it if I WANT to get on it.

How do you like the Magnaflows? I'd like something a little more aggressive, but I'd like to avoid too much droning at speed. My old '96 Camaro (Vortech supercharged LT1, Lunati cam, Trick Flow heads, etc) was loud as HELL with a pair of Magnaflows, but I switched to an electric dump for the track and some Dynomax mufflers. I loved that sound, real deep and aggressive when I got on it, but mild below 2K (*ish)

I've got videos out there of it (along with the glorius blower whine after the Spectre intake), look up CMNTMXR57 on Youtube.

I am a Magnaflow person. But DynoMax is probaby second on my list. Had many of those too.

The Magnaflow, with the Magnaflow resonator is what a lot here have done. My only complaint with Magnaflow, no matter whether you get regular SS, or the high polished, if subjected to weather, the metal oxidizes (rusts), in a process to protect itself and it looks terrible. So I usually, annually, sand them down and paint them with high temp paint.

This is what I mean (on my Bonneville GXP);

Pretty ugly, huh... Every Magnaflow setup I have had, that is subject to rain/snow has done this.

So my solution;

neurotictim likes this.

Jeebus dude, that blower whine in video two - that sound must carry like crazy to be picked up that clear from that far away! That's a result of the Spectre, yes? It seems really, really loud in the interior. Is that the camera being sensitive?

rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv
    20 to 23 mpg. I'm not sure whp. I have intake, throttle body, headers, corsa exhaust, flush mount snout, pullies, heat exchanger, inner cooler pump by jabsco, 73lbs injectors, and tune with tons of belt slip lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyXV...e_gdata_player

Very little drone till long tubes went on. But Id rather drive with windows down and no music

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac

I have many modifications on my car and I get the same mileage I got before the mods. Mid teens on my commute and 22-23mpg highway. 480rwhp on the Mustang dyno at ZZPerformance.

You guys are gonna kill me. What I'm gathering is that I can go nuts (if I want to) and there's nonreal downside. Well, execpt for the tickets I'll inevitably get.

I get that a lot of mods can actually make the car more efficient, but I guess I got used to the idea that power required single-digit MPG. The Camaro I mentioned above might have seen double digits on a long, sedate drive, lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Nope on the sensitivity. It's orgasmically loud inside too. The only thing special about the camera is that it is an HD camera.

I think Tim (above), Ryan (1madstsv), and Jaime (PGA2B), were the most heavily moddded. I really have not as A) I have another fast car that is my real toy and B) This is my DD and it has to last at least 5 years (from purchase), and right now, the macroeconomic environment the way it is, once I pay it off in ~2 years, I would like to live payment free for awhile. So it's gotta last. Me buying another car is actually a sore subject between the Wife and I as we both want a much bigger house (with a minimum 4 car garage for me), so...

----------

I should add, I didn't realize Rob had as much done as he did!

What kind of headers?

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Fuel mileage is all relative to the tune the car has and how/ where you drive. City - highway- hills-lots of turns all that plays a bigger factor than mods. I was at 470rwhp @19.8psi and could still get 23mpg on the highway. But it was mostly flat straight road. Round town and driving like the crazy man Iam I would get 15mpg. Still not bad. Car had every mod you can think of less headers.

Tims headers here. Love love love um lol

OMG-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V
    I got Gibson and getting fed up with it. Below 2k rpm feels like I'm in a chopper. Can't have a conversation. It's just loud and doesn't sound high performance.

I think my car sounds ruthless. Lol

ChurchSTSV is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX, 2007 STS-V
    Anyone put Corsa on? I loved them on my GTO and am curious how they sound on the V.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.