Striking the balance - Power/Economy - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Striking the balance - Power/Economy in Cadillac V-Series Forums; This begs a question: which one sounds best on STSV??...
    OMG-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V
    This begs a question: which one sounds best on STSV??

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Re: Striking the balance - Power/Economy

I think the issue here is, did you remove the resonator? If so, that might be the issue. I replaced mine with a Magnaflow there also.

264WOODY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57
    I think the issue here is, did you remove the resonator? If so, that might be the issue. I replaced mine with a Magnaflow there also.
    The only thing I did, was replace the axel back, I left everything else alone. Everything is bone stock. I haven't even put on a C.A.I.. Still deciding on specter or TimmyC or just keep it stock.

I was directing that OMG-V.

neurotictim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V mostly stock
    Quote Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57 View Post
    Borla, on an LSx F-Body is actually one of those systems that I would always argue that being loud for the sake of being loud, doesn't sound good. They sound like someone is shaking a tin can full of rocks. On other engines (older LT1's for example), they sound excellent. There is just something about the LSx, it's firing order, cam profiles that just don't sound good with a Borla.
    Maybe we disagree on what "good" sounds like, or maybe he had something else going on under there. I say that because it wasn't by any stretch the loudest car, and.it didn't sound at all like what you describe. Nice, relatively quiet bassy rumble at idle, full-on throaty roar up higher in the rpms. I was in love at throttle blip, lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

OMG-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by neurotictim
    Maybe we disagree on what "good" sounds like, or maybe he had something else going on under there. I say that because it wasn't by any stretch the loudest car, and.it didn't sound at all like what you describe. Nice, relatively quiet bassy rumble at idle, full-on throaty roar up higher in the rpms. I was in love at throttle blip, lol. Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Nice rumble at idle but when you drive it "normally" between 2 and 3000 rpm, it just doesn't sound cool or sporty. Magnaflow and Corsa sound better. I didn't remove anything but maybe someone else did.

Yea, that isn't a Borla on an LSx F-Body. I had an ATR system on mine (Grotoyhann LT's, Grotoyhann Y-pipe through Random Tech cats, and the ATR system). That was low, rumbley, and bass'y. B&B's, Corsa, and Magnaflow were another. If one wanted to throw in the big 4" Mufflex system, that added LOUD too, but it still sounded good.

Again, if you're talking about an LT1/4, COMPLETELY different story! But an LS1... A tin can with rocks in it being shaken.

PCFool is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO

About 12 years ago after buying a 98 Z28 I had put the SLP Loudmouth exhaust on it and to me it sounded fantastic. It was definitely loud when you put your foot into it. LOL sometimes idling through a car ramp/garage it would set off other car alarms. I had put on over 200k rounds myself before selling it.

Anyway I will be looking for something that sounds good on my V soon enough. Anyone have issues with passing the emissions tests in CA with their mods?

Loudmouths sound fantastic... outside the car.

Inside though, a headache and interior parts rattling/vibrating, I took it off.

Okay, so here's what I'm thinking.

412 rwhp on Speed Inc's dynojet 248c.

- Spectre intake (both parts)
    - Magnaflow mufflers
    - 160* t-stat
    - Speed Inc. (sic) tune
    Now, if I add Tim's headers and a supercharger port & polish, is there a reasonable chance to hit that 450? Looks like about $2500, does that sound about right?

Or, given the heatsoak issue, would it make more sense to go with the intercooler upgrade first, for reliability or performance?

I'd address heatsoak issues first. It'll address both.

I made 412 on a cold engine (it was still at operating temp, but hadn't had a chance to heatsoak), and on a cooler March day. Later I came back, on a fresh, off the street driven, July afternoon for a tune update, and the car lost 26rwhp, and something like 80 - 90 lb/ft of torque. So yea, you get one or two, maybe 3 runs at maximum power, then the car falls flat on it's face due to heatsoak.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

I'd address heatsoak issues first. It'll address both.

I made 412 on a cold engine (it was still at operating temp, but hadn't had a chance to heatsoak), and on a cooler March day. Later I came back, on a fresh, off the street driven, July afternoon for a tune update, and the car lost 26rwhp, and something like 80 - 90 lb/ft of torque. So yea, you get one or two, maybe 3 runs at maximum power, then the car falls flat on it's face due to heatsoak.

Not if you have it set up right. I made my passes at the track back to back for 3 runs never turning the car off when weighting and did not loose any speed our time. In fact it went faster. Made 6 back to back pulls on the dyno and made with in 7hp +\- we were checking for heat soak. So you just need to have the set up perfected be for you go for power. And the more power/psi you make the more heat you make.

And I don't because I have not addressed it (the CAC), with any modifications.

Okay, so what about an additional heat exchanger? Realistically I'm not going to spend a TON of time on the dyno, and likely very little time at the track. So what do you guys think of this:

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...6a0fc86f6d53c1

It isn't just a dyno or track thing though. On the street, a couple WOT runs will get it just as hot, especially if you get caught up in traffic.

Talk to TimmyC. He has a complete setup made and sells.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.