rockauto sale - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, rockauto sale in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by rbzstsv That's like attacking Amazon for being a middle man... Or UPS for the product you ordered. ...
    beyerch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: rockauto sale

Quote Originally Posted by rbzstsv View Post
    That's like attacking Amazon for being a middle man... Or UPS for the product you ordered. Sorry man crappy situation but I don't think it's on them. Wish you would have had a better experience.
    100% wrong about "just" being the middle man.....

Let me give two very recent Amazon examples which I experienced.

Bought some Apple headphones through Amazon. Turned out they were fake. (I know shocking, right?) Contacted seller, who claimed ignorance and didn't want to help me out. Contacted Amazon, they immediately refunded me and had me send them the merchandise. (on their dime).

Second example. *I* accidentally ordered the wrong Lokar transmission dipstick for my 'V'. Realized the mistake and asked how much restocking was going to be, etc. They immediately sent me the right part and I'm paying $5 for return shipping only. They even auto-generate UPS shipping ticket and RMA so it's ridiculously brain dead easy.

In both of the examples, Amazon could have told me to pound sand, hit me with a bunch of fees, or something in between the two; however, they took care of the customer. Why? Because they get that taking care of the customer is good for *long term* success. Telling someone to 'pound sand' over a small transaction (i.e. exhaust rubber pieces were like ~30 shipped) is stupid when your customer(s) spending thousands over the long term. Additionally, unhappy customers tend to spread their bad experiences which can cost you other business. (i.e. this thread now....)

In regards to Rock Auto, *ONCE AGAIN*, I'm not blaming them for a bad part. I get they didn't personally make it. I am blaming them for having HORRIBLE customer service, lack of knowledge for what they are selling, and having a blatant disregard for the quality of the product they sell. (based on *MY* first hand experience with them)

Are you really defending a company that was informed that they were selling a potentially defective product and simply ignored the situation? I'm not. I used to order all the time from them, but I haven't ordered once since that situation and will not do so again. I'm also not going to act like it didn't happen and I will continue to warn people about my experience so it doesn't happen to them either....
    parkeraire likes this.

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by beyerch View Post
    100% wrong about "just" being the middle man.....

Words Words Words

In regards to Rock Auto, *ONCE AGAIN*, I'm not blaming them for a bad part. I get they didn't personally make it. I am blaming them for having HORRIBLE customer service, lack of knowledge for what they are selling, and having a blatant disregard for the quality of the product they sell. (based on *MY* first hand experience with them)

Words Words..

We get it, you hate Rockauto. The rest of us have never had that problem.

Please remember that RA is just an internet site that connects buyers and sellers. They have no business warranting any equipment made by someone else. They're not Amazon. You bought bad exhaust hanger "o-rings". Maybe they weren't the right size. Maybe they were manufactured in China with saw dust. RockAuto never saw them, they just filled an order. Do your own due-dilligence in life, no one is going to do it for you. If you want to return the items, bring it up with the manufacturer of the items. I'm sure they have a warranty. If not...then WTH are you complaining about?!?!

As a counterpoint to beyerch I've ordered from RA about a half dozen times. Items show up on time, if not early and after double checking things myselfbefore placing the order, I've never had a part not be correct.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

I don't believe our V's and the 6L80E's have a user servicable transmission dipstick...

Youngblood,

Sorry you think I'm beating a horse, I was merely replying to other comments.

In regards to your comment, we'll have to agree to disagree. If a retailer makes the part or simply drop ships it, they still have an obligation to the customer and not even bothering to follow-up as to whether there was a wrong part sent or the parts were defective reflects poorly on them.

If you're OK with a company taking your money, making a profit, and then disappearing at the first sign of trouble more power to you.

And to be fair, I had plenty of transactions with RockAuto before this that went fine; however, I'm not willing to take a risk with this company again when there are plenty of alternatives that practice good customer service.[COLOR="Silver"][COLOR="Silver"]

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You bought a part with no warranty, from a retailer that does not offer warrantees.

You installed the part, and the site clearly states you can't return installed parts.

The parts fail (physically ripped apart), and you want the retailer to replace them or refund your money?

Go to Best Buy, Sears, any well known retailer, buy a non returnable pair of earbuds on clearance with no warranty, go home, take them out of the box, rip one of the earbuds off... Now go back to the store and see what they tell you.

Brick and mortar parts stores would treat the problem the same way. You buy a part with no warranty, install it, and bring it back physically damaged... you ain't getting anything.

And I'm not calling you a liar, but honestly, I don't see how every exhaust hanger, even if they were cheap ones, would ALL fail. If a customer told me that, I'd assume it was the wrong part, or they damaged them somehow.

MoistCabbage,

Did you seriously not read ANYTHING I posted? Let me try this again....

#1 - I didn't even care about a refund. (Well I won't say I absolutely didn't care, but it was only $30 .... I'm not going to lose sleep over it)
    #2 - I didn't even care about a replacement. (Why would I want another set of those? :-0 )
    #3 - I was actually more concerned that they INVESTIGATE the situation to make sure they were not selling bad parts so that OTHER people wouldn't have the same problem.
    #3a - I took pictures of all of the damaged pieces since the halves were on the hanger and the exhaust.
    #3b - I offered to send them the pictures so that they could FORWARD them to the manufacturer since they didn't reveal who the manufacturer was, but claimed they were OEM....
    #3c - I agree that it sounds crazy that they would fail like that, that's why I offered up the photos and to send back the broken parts..... I've *never* had that happen.
    #4 - They didn't want the pictures and didn't want to bother looking into it.

Read that and think about it for a minute.

They had no problem listing a part for sale, advising me specifically via email that it was the correct part and it was 'OEM', taking my money, shipping me the part ordered (per the invoice with the parts), but didn't even want to take a couple minutes to look at it to potentially address a larger problem that would affect other customers. That's silly right there. I worked retail for a long time and I never would handle a situation like that.

In regards to calling me a liar, that would be a mistake on your part. I agree it sounds crazy which is why I offered to send them the photos and the parts so they could see for themselves. There was something wrong with those parts and they SHOULD NOT continue selling them! Selling stuff with no warranty doesn't mean it's cool to sell knowingly defective (or incorrect) parts. Come on ......

Also, in case you are curious, here are the pics from after my exhaust dropped onto the expressway ..... As you can see they all split right in the middle pretty cleanly. There is also cracking visible in other spots.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...Jjgl1T6ByA7qBk

The brand of every part Rockauto sells is listed along with the description. Was this a GM vehicle? We're the parts AC Delco? Was it a ford product? We're the hangers Motorcraft? There is only one OEM brand for each manufacturer, I don't see how there would be any confusion as to weather or not they were OEM hangers.

But regardless, Rockauto, like ANY retailer, just sells parts. They can do NOTHING about the quality of them. If you sent pictures, do you think the manufacturer would actually make improvements to the product because Rockauto told them a few hangers failed? Do you think Rockauto would stop carrying the brand? Lots of sites and stores sell crap parts. They're not going to look into why a part failed. They have nothing to do with any part of the design or manufacturing of the part. Like anywhere else, you get a selection of manufacturers, you choose one and buy it. If you have a problem with the quality, you contact the manufacturer.

So if Rockauto has an AC Delco part for $20 cheaper than anyone else, you won't order from them because one brand of exhaust hangers they sell were junk?

rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv
    I'm not looking to get into it with you. As I said I wish you had a different experience. But can I ask you something? If I'm selling an item thru Amazon as a dealer, do you as the customer contact me or Amazon because Amazon puts shipping labels on my products that are held at my warehouses? Who is at fault? Amazon for making a dime off my products or my company who sent the product? Either way I hope you have a better experience with your future auto purchases but I kinda think your upset with the wrong people, if a company states it's polices in advance then it's on the consumer to understand polices. It's on you.

"But regardless, Rockauto, like ANY retailer, just sells parts" - Wrong. Crappy retailers just sell parts. Good retailers create a good customer experience. (i.e. Wal-Mart vs Target, etc.)

"If you sent pictures, do you think the manufacturer would actually make improvements to the product because Rockauto told them a few hangers failed" - There are a few different scenarios that could/should play out:

#1 - Rockauto forwards the info to the mfg. (since they didn't disclose who it was) and the mfg. can make the decision as to whether something is wrong or not. While I am just 1 issue, if the mfg. receives multiple reports, then it may turn into a bigger issue.
    #2 - Rockauto realizes there is a problem and ..... stops selling the product. Nothing good can come from selling a defective item, regardless of the price.
    #3 - After reviewing the information, it is determined that I did not get the proper part. This could lead to a correction in the product listing / compatability matrix.
    #4 - Rockauto / mfg reviews what I sent them and comes back stating that I somehow screwed up. While that would make me feel stupid, at least everyone can rest assured that the situation is handled....

" Do you think Rockauto would stop carrying the brand?" - If there really was a problem and they cared about their company image, ABSOLUTELY.

"Lots of sites and stores sell crap parts" - Absolutely, but would you buy from a company known for selling crap parts??? I'd hope not, and this was my point for posting anything in this thread to begin with ....... Who cares if the parts are cheap if they fail....

"They're not going to look into why a part failed. They have nothing to do with any part of the design or manufacturing of the part." - Of course they are not going to do a failure analysis; however, they can aggregate data and pass it back to the MFG..... (if they see a trend or they are concerned)

"Like anywhere else, you get a selection of manufacturers, you choose one and buy it. If you have a problem with the quality, you contact the manufacturer." - I chose to buy through RockAuto due to the price and my faith in the products that they sold. The product I received failed and their lack of CS has ruined my trust/faith in the products they carry.....

"So if Rockauto has an AC Delco part for $20 cheaper than anyone else, you won't order from them because one brand of exhaust hangers they sell were junk? " -

No. I won't order with RockAuto again because their handling of the entire situation was unacceptable. Furthermore, if they are that willing to sell garbage parts, how could I possible expect to have faith in any other parts they sell? They don't, obviously since they had no interest in helping THEIR customer. I'd much rather spend the $20 and buy the part locally with someone who I know and trust.

------------

rbztsv

"If I'm selling an item thru Amazon as a dealer, do you as the customer contact me or Amazon because Amazon puts shipping labels on my products that are held at my warehouses?"

If I purchased from *YOU*, I contact *YOU*. I purchased from RockAuto and I tried to work through them, and they expressed no desire to assist at all.
    In regards to Amazon though, I had that exact situation with bogus iPhone headphones. Got scammed (OEM, but really cheap China junk), contacted the seller using Amazon marketplace who told me to pound sand, went to Amazon direct, and THEY took care of me. Why? Because Amazon understands that if they didn't help the consumer, it would tarnish THEIR reputation hurting their business in the long run. Long term sustainability is about establishing trusting relationships, not worrying about short term sales....

With that, lets just call this an agree to disagree because this thread is HORRIBLY off course.

----------

CMNTMXR57 - Lokar makes one and it's on my desk. Hoping to install it this weekend. I'll take pictures in case anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by rbzstsv
    your upset with the wrong people, if a company states it's polices in advance then it's on the consumer to understand polices. It's on you.
    ^^^This^^^

rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv
    Agree to disagree sounds good. No hard feelings bud!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.