2014 CTS Vsport vs 2006-2009 STS-V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rbzstsv
  • 1 Post By CMNTMXR57
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, 2014 CTS Vsport vs 2006-2009 STS-V in Cadillac V-Series Forums; We're coming up on a decade since the STS-V first showed up so naturally, 10 years later, we have advancements ...
    Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

2014 CTS Vsport vs 2006-2009 STS-V

We're coming up on a decade since the STS-V first showed up so naturally, 10 years later, we have advancements in engineering and technology. Even so, I'd say the level of engineering, especially on the engine of our car is for the most part pretty advanced even by today's standards.

It appears the 2014 CTS Vsport has similar (slightly better) performance numbers than the 2006-09 STS-V.

C&D first drive on the STS-V
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

C&D test review on the CTS Vsport
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-6-test-review

C&D cornering, braking performance for the STS-V
    http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...rs-chassis.pdf

C&D acceleration performance for the STS-V
    http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...powertrain.pdf

The cars are very similar in size, but the STS-V is slightly larger overall. The CTS Vsport is a little wider (and an inch lower). The STS-V is more powerful, but also heavier (CTS Vsport comes in at just under 4,000 lbs) and down a 7th and 8th gear to the Vsport. The article suggests the interior is on par with the competitors. The car has all the features we love, including a head up display and an electronically controlled LSD. The biggest rims you can get are 18s (with Pirelli run flats.. oh boy) because going bigger would hurt performance but I'm sure you can get any one of the 19s from GM accessories, just like you can with the ATS if that's your thing.

Other stuff.. 13 speaker vs our 15, but 4 of our 15 are those little ones in the seats so I believe the sound system in the CTS will be nice. CUE gets a lot of crap but I didn't have any problems with it when I rented the XTS, and the voice recognition is excellent. You're looking at a huge jump in the infotainment department going from the STS-V to the 2014 cts Vsport naturally.

Personally, I'm holding out for the CTS-V because I want a v8 and I want a manual. Period. That's the one thing I find lacking in the STS-V. A manual. I really hope they put the 7 speed in the 2015(?) CTS-V.

I snapped a couple of pics of the performance results of the CTS Vsport with my iphone but I'd have to downsize them way too much to upload them. I tried. Either way, the 2nd link is the online version of the article.

By the way, you can build and price them.
    http://www.cadillac.com/cts-sport-se...-zipcode=28390
    Gotta choose the twin turbo v6 to go with the v sport. I'm really liking the brown/black interior color combo. Note that when you choose certain color combos for interior, it will say (full leather) indicating that the others are not full leather. Choose black exterior so you can see all the interior color options. If you choose say the blue exterior, you're limited on interior color choices.

And on a side note, the new escalade design is out. There's info about it on Cadillac's website.

So although it's not for me, I think the CTS Vsport is absolutely a legitimate option for people looking to replace their STS-Vs.

What are your thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv
    I can't see myself ever selling this car... If I did replace it it would be with a cts v
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Re: 2014 CTS Vsport vs 2006-2009 STS-V

I assume you're talking about the 3rd gen?

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Same here, CTS-V or bust.

I don't care what arguements you want to make about techno "high feature", forced induction wonder engines with only 4 or 6 cylinders, I am a V8 person. I want a V8. I like the way they sound, their powerband, their overall "feel" and demeanor. Typically, I want simplicity.

I know our LC3's sort of buck that trend, but overall, for DD's, which I typically keep upwords of 10 years and in many cases 200k or more on the clock, I look at TCO (total cost of ownership), and primarily maintenance/preventative maintenance. At the end of the day, I want low cost and ease of maintenance. I don't want little 4 and 6 cylinders with their forced induction and direct injection and D.O.D. engines that require 8+ quarts of usually more expensive synthetic oil. I want simple. The old theory of K.I.S.S. I want something that I know will go that 200k with nothing more than fluid changes, tune-ups, and doesn't have complicated systems to NEED maintenance at certain intervals like these "high-feature" V6's nowadays have.

I'm seriously waiting for many of these wonder engines, particularly ford's ecoboost sh*t, to start aging and racking up mileage under normal usage and minimum maintenance to start rearing their ugly heads of being forced induction, coupled with hard use, coupled with the average consumer that never pops the hood mentality... They're going to be a rats nest of issues 5 years and 100k later!

But this is the mechanic in me speaking, so...

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Holding out for the 3rd gen CTS-V and hoping for a TTV8.

Quote Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57 View Post
    Same here, CTS-V or bust.

I don't care what arguements you want to make about techno "high feature", forced induction wonder engines with only 4 or 6 cylinders, I am a V8 person. I want a V8. I like the way they sound, their powerband, their overall "feel" and demeanor. Typically, I want simplicity.

I know our LC3's sort of buck that trend, but overall, for DD's, which I typically keep upwords of 10 years and in many cases 200k or more on the clock, I look at TCO (total cost of ownership), and primarily maintenance/preventative maintenance. At the end of the day, I want low cost and ease of maintenance. I don't want little 4 and 6 cylinders with their forced induction and direct injection and D.O.D. engines that require 8+ quarts of usually more expensive synthetic oil. I want simple. The old theory of K.I.S.S. I want something that I know will go that 200k with nothing more than fluid changes, tune-ups, and doesn't have complicated systems to NEED maintenance at certain intervals like these "high-feature" V6's nowadays have.

I'm seriously waiting for many of these wonder engines, particularly ford's ecoboost sh*t, to start aging and racking up mileage under normal usage and minimum maintenance to start rearing their ugly heads of being forced induction, coupled with hard use, coupled with the average consumer that never pops the hood mentality... They're going to be a rats nest of issues 5 years and 100k later!

But this is the mechanic in me speaking, so...
    Our car takes 9 quarts. But other than that.. Completely agree. All this downsizing and addition of high amounts of boost to achieve better fuel economy is a gimmick. The vsport at over 300lbs lighter than our car, 50 less hp and a v6 does one better mpg than us in the city, and equal to us on the highway. Well that's EPA for us and estimates for the vsport. Still. Where are the mpg improvements with the v6?? Apply the same technology that you applied to that v6 onto a nice, inherently balanced, and sweet sounding v8 and I'm good.

Look at the f150 ecoboost that can't match the silverado v8 in fuel economy. And don't even get me started on when you start towing. It's a gimmick. They can say they have a v6. I'd love to see one of those fords after 30 years of serious pickup truck duty without some kind of major rebuild.

V8 all the way for me.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

I said, the LC3 bucks that trend.

By comparison, my simple, easy to maintain, Vortec 5700 takes 5. And it could be wesson oil for all it cares...

Don't worry, I've beaten around the bush with a couple Ecoboost F-150 owners in our group.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57 View Post
    I said, the LC3 bucks that trend.
    My bad.

----------

Wesson oil. Haha nice.

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

lmao at wesson oil. so e85 corn and wesson equals meals on wheels.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.