Moisture in Pass Headlight
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Moisture in Pass Headlight in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Does anyone know if there is an easier way to access the bulbs on this light versus removing the front ...
    johnb21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Moisture in Pass Headlight

Does anyone know if there is an easier way to access the bulbs on this light versus removing the front bumper cover? I left the car out one night in a heavy rain, and both lights got moisture in them. The passenger side actually had a small pool of water. It has been about 4wks or so, and the driver's side cleared up in about 1 wk.

I was wondering if there is a way to remove the passenger side front wheel and then remove a few clips on the wheel well liner enough to reach a hand in toward the light. Not sure if there will be something else in the way once I am by the liner. Any support is greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

theotherguyssn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 sts-v

Re: Moisture in Pass Headlight

You may can get the side cover off the headlight where the ballast sits at it may help with the moisture getting out and drying it out but only way to get the headlight out is to remove the bumper

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,09 escalade, 80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Take the bumper off its easer Then it looks take out the lights a drill two small holes in the bottom of both lights and problem solved.

OMG-V is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V
    Since we are on this subject again, does anyone have any suggestions on the bulbs? Might as well replace them since the bumper is coming off.

They are hid no need to replace them.

OMG-V is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V
    How long do they last? Forever? What about the light itself. Ive seen some bright blue.

The blue is aftermarket. Life of the car is what they say.

thanks all. I was just hoping to take out a bulb so the moisture can find an easier way to escape. I really didn't want to remove the headlight assembly.

264WOODY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 1madstsv View Post
    The blue is aftermarket. Life of the car is what they say.
    Life of the car? How cool is this? God I love this car!

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 264WOODY View Post
    Life of the car? How cool is this? God I love this car!
    They dim over time. I had my driver's side replaced at 6 years and its brighter than the passenger side bulb....also, these headlights are $720 each wholesale. $1200 from the dealer. (That's for the whole housing, not the bulb). I wouldn't mess around and replace these just because you're bored on a Saturday.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

HID bulbs don't necessarily last forever. Like any bulb, they can blow out too. But yes, over normal useful life they do technically last longer, but they will dim. Or better word is, lose their optimum lumen output.

The low beams are a D1S, 4,300k Phillips HID bulb. The high beams are a standard GM used 9005 bulb.

I wanted a little more "blue" to my low beams, without losing lumen output so I swapped out the stock 4,300k D1S's with Philips 6,000k D1S's. Anything more than 6k and lumen output (the actual measure of light output), does start dropping. I wanted to replace my 9005 high beam bulb with a Toshiba (or suitable replica), HIR (Halogen Infrared Reflective), bulb classified as HIR1. GM uses these bulbs from the factory as high beam bulbs over the years in some of their vehicles. Avalanche's and Bonneville GXP's off the top of my head. Anyway, the HIR1 is within the same kelvin rating (500k difference), vs. the 9005, but put out substantially more lumen output. The problem is, Toshiba stopped making these, and then other manufacturer's started. Those second gen HIR's don't fit as well due to their slightly different base. Anyway, I had a fresh pair of HIR1's laying around, but they were a second gen bulb, and as such, the bulb did not fit tightly/snug in housing. So I left it as the stock 9005's. Since then, I have had a first gen set of HIR1's come out of another vehicle, and the next time I have the housing apart, I will put them in.

In my fogs, I purchased a DDM 35w, 6,000k HID conversion kit for our 9145 bulb. Yes, I'm went ricer retard. Actually at first, I had a 3,000k HID bulb in there, but to me it took away from the lighting of the headlights, so I then swapped it out for the 6,000k units. As such, now the fogs are a little more blue than the head lights. Next time I order from DDM, I may see if they havea 5k version to better match. Anyway, I was worried about the arc of the HID causing issues with the reflector in the fogs, which would cause blindness and unneccessary glare to oncoming traffic. Fortunately our fogs beam pattern is a very rectangular (duh), low pattern, so there hasn't been any issue.

But definetely a big difference over stock.

Comparison of the average stock 9005 bulb vs. an HIR1;

9005 Lumen Output: 1,700 lumens
    9005 Kelvin Rating: 3,100k
    Life: 320 hours

HIR1 Lumen Output: 2,500 lumens (or an 800 lumen increase over a stock 9005 bulb)
    HIR1 Kelvin Rating: 3,600k (or a 500k improvement over a stock 9005 bulb)
    Life: 300 hours

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

That's some good info. What about those sylvania ultra brights or whatever?

And I just had the entire right side headlight replaced on my 2009 v and yeah like Youngblood said, you can see what 4 years does to HIDs.

I wonder if LEDs have this problem.

Just to let you all know I removed the bumper and pulled out the lens to dry. Retarded but not a difficult job. All is better now.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    That's some good info. What about those sylvania ultra brights or whatever?

And I just had the entire right side headlight replaced on my 2009 v and yeah like Youngblood said, you can see what 4 years does to HIDs.

I wonder if LEDs have this problem.
    If you're buying a pair of German made Osram Sylvania Silverstars, then you're ok. But Sylvania Silverstars at any auto parts store here in North America are absolute garbage. They have the shelf life of a wet fart, and if you have them and swear by them, I will find you and kick you in the nutz! The stats below do not lie! The reason for that is that they're basically nothing more than a regular bulb with a blue tinted capsule, to give it the effect of having a higer kelvin rating (closer to that of a true HID bulb). However, in order to maintain the same level of lumen output as a regular Sylvania bulb, they have to overdrive the filament. Overdriviving the filament results in shorter life. At the end of the day, you're not getting any more lumen output (the actual measure of light output), but you're getting the higher kelvin rating (the color temp of the light), which is what makes you "think" you're seeing better because it "appears" more "white".

First, the complete stats on a stock pair of Sylvania 9006/9005 bulbs as used by GM (9005 = high beam, and 9006 = low beams);
    9006 Lumen Output: 1,000 lumens
    9006 Kelvin Rating: 3,100k
    Life: 1,000 hours

9005 Lumen Output: 1,700 lumens
    9005 Kelvin Rating: 3,100k
    Life: 320 hours

Now, the stats on a typical GM combo 9006/9005 Sylvania Silverstars;
    9006 Lumen Output: 1,000 lumens (the same as the stock 9006)
    9006 Kelvin Rating: 4,000k (900k more, this is what makes you think you're seeing better, but based on the actual lumen output, you are not)
    Life: 200 hours (800 hours LESS than a stock bulb. All to get that extra color temp in the kelvin rating)

9005 Lumen Output: 1,700 lumens (the same as the stock 9005)
    9005 Kelvin Rating: 4,000k (also 900k more than stock)
    Life: 100 hours (220 houes LESS than stock. They basically have about a 3rd of the life of a stock bulb)

Silverstar Ultra's
    9006 Lumen Output: 1,000 Lumens (same as stock)
    9006 Kelvin Rating: 4,100k (WOW... an extra 100k over a regular Silverstar...)
    Life: 200 hours

9005 Lumen Output: 1,700 lumens (same as stock)
    9005 Kelvin Rating: 4,100k
    Life: 100 hours

And to enjoy this, you pay a premium!

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Wow I'm glad I asked you. I was planning on buying these to replace my fogs or high beams when they eventually go out because I've been led to believe they're superior. So tell me about these German made things. I'm guessing you have to get them online? You got the specs on those?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.