How to get better gas mileage?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, How to get better gas mileage? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Looking to buy my first V and wonder what I can do to get better gas mileage on the highway? ...
    raiders4u2nv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V Silver/ 2007 Escalade Silver/ 94 Corvette vert

How to get better gas mileage?

Looking to buy my first V and wonder what I can do to get better gas mileage on the highway? Not a big deal but would love to get more then 19mpg.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Re: How to get better gas mileage?

You can do what I do.

Take the wife's car!

We got 42mpgs this morning coming back from Vegas.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    LOL....:thumbup:

Don't get a V if you care about gas mileage.

About the only thing that would help is to drive like a grandma, but why would you own a V and do that?
    dkozloski and Nimoch like this.

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

I used to let the car shift itself but when I started using the manual mode I got +1 mpg average. Shift earlier. I also found that driving aggressively actually helps. The longer you take to get up to speed, the more time you spend accelerating which usually means worse mpg. The sooner you get up to speed, the sooner you get to the point where you are "maintaining" speed which gets you better mpgs. But when I really started having fun with this thing all mpg concerns went out the window. What's a couple of bucks, you know? You only live once. Might as well enjoy every drive.

----------

That is why we own this car after all.
    mjs182004 and neurotictim like this.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Most of us get a little better than the factory rating on the highway. I've gotten 23mpg on a long trip with one tank over 24.

raiders4u2nv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V Silver/ 2007 Escalade Silver/ 94 Corvette vert

Lol. Too funny. My wife's car is an Escalade! My other car is a vette! I have a Toyota Camry for work and get 51 cent a mile so I should not worry about it. The V I'm looking is an 07 silver and has only 58000 mile and would replace the Camry. I should just keep the Camry and sell the vette. Always wanted a V....had a Sts4 but sold it and started looking for a V.

rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv
    22 mpg here. After modifying a little my mpg went from up from around 17. Funny topic seeing how ctsv side of this site has similar mpg post as we speak. But getting over 20 mpg in a modified car is apparently non sense I was informed recently hahaha

OMG-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by rbzstsv
    22 mpg here. After modifying a little my mpg went from up from around 17. Funny topic seeing how ctsv side of this site has similar mpg post as we speak. But getting over 20 mpg in a modified car is apparently non sense I was informed recently hahaha
    What did you modify to make it more fuel efficient? Or is this a joke. I drive mine once a week for 30min so I didn't notice much consumption.

rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv
    Well royal purple products for engine oil, Trans fluid, rear diff got a lil more mpg then parts n tune from TimC. Tims tune, heat exchanger upgrade, jabsco pump upgrade. My intake air temps are much cooler now. Keeping those RPMs below 2000 is a big help. My car runs n shifts so much better after Tims help.

OMG-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V
    I read somewhere that royal purple is great for lubricating parts at normal room temp but doesn't do well at high temps and clogs up the engine and filter with some solid residue. I think Amsoil said that. Not sure which way to go. Don't mind spending few bucks to get better oil.

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

My EXT gers 13mpg,the GT500 gest 12.5, my V gets 14.5--so 19 looks great to me--the vette gets28 on road.The only way ro save gas is to watch the SC boost meter and try to avoid getting into bost territory, but then why buy the car right?When i was a kid back i 60s and had (and still have) a GTO folks would ask about mileage--and the answer then was if you have to ask that question you cant afford the car

Nimoch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

I get 25 on the highway; Spectre II Intake, custom tune, muffler delete.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by raiders4u2nv View Post
    Looking to buy my first V and wonder what I can do to get better gas mileage on the highway? Not a big deal but would love to get more then 19mpg.
    I get about 21-22mpg on my 100 mile a day work commute (70 highway, 30 city).

I drive the car harder than I would a Camry, but I don't beat the snot out of it. I usually run between 70 and 80 mph on the highway and get there faster than most around me. The biggest increase in fuel economy I saw was switching to Midgrade gasoline (89). The highest octane isn't always the best bet. If you're putting in higher octane than your driving style demands then you're losing economy as the higher the octane the slower the burn and less power in the fuel.

If you're going to beat on it though then by all means use Premium in it all the time.

Midgrade gasoline also worked best for me in the Saturn Sky Redline (2.0 Turbo) I had prior to the V. I lost 2-3mpg consistently when using premium in it.

I have five V8s in my driveway, all recommend or require premium unleaded. Of the five only one actually needs premium, a 96 Corvette LT4 with older engine management technology and a 10.8:1 compression ratio. Even on crappy CA 91 octane it would ping under WOT, on 93 that I get here on the east coast it runs great. That's the only vehicle I put premium in.

Another thought I had was that 90 octane is the highest available in NM when I passed through there a few years back. My "premium required" vehicles ran fine with it.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

To get the best fuel mileage do what I do. DON'T DRIVE IT!! I can make a tank of gas last 3 months with this driving style.

But I do get 22-23 out of mine highway. 17-19 city. 11 at drag strip.
    theotherguyssn likes this.

Winger67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Just currious if anyone knows. What does the non-V V8 STS get for MPG? My 1996 Jeep gets about 15 average on mixed driving. Don't have budget this year for a -V.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.