Looking at sts-v today. things to look for? common issues? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Looking at sts-v today. things to look for? common issues? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; anyone ever have a problem with water in the trunk? is there a known seal that goes bad on the ...
    264WOODY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS-V

Re: Looking at sts-v today. things to look for? common issues?

anyone ever have a problem with water in the trunk? is there a known seal that goes bad on the 07' STS-V or am i just a lucky one?
    poped the trunk yesterday after hard rains two days before and surprise,1/2" water standing in the spare tire well. Now to get it all out and dry it up before everything gets "funky".

OMG-V is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V
    Check the back window seal. I had this problem with my old car- 2008 Volvo.

----------

Dealer ended up replacing and resealing it

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Nope never had that issue.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

In addition to the window seal issue...

Do you have a sunroof? If so, the rear drain tubes (there is one on each side of the sunroof assembly), which may be clogged. If it rains hard enough and the water backs up, it may seep out over the sunroof assembly's drip rail, leak down the pillar, and into the trunk.

It's a PITA to get to them but...

If the drains are ok, and it is a bad window seal, you can try sealing it yourself without rear window removal, with some form of adhesive sealer, but to keep it clean off the glass and paint, would be tedious. What I have done in some cases where customers didn't want to pay to get it re-sealed properly (as long as it isn't leaking INTO the interior of the car), as well as my own cars, get a small drill bit, and at the lowest point of the well, drill a small pinhole. Then coat it with that spray sealer or even a coat of paint to protect against rust/corrosion. This way, the water won't accumulate.

----------

Here is what a GM sunroof assembly looks like. This isn't out of an STS. This is out of my Bonneville, but in essence, it is the same.

In this picture, the sunroof is closed, so the glass is at the front, the rear of the assembly is open. Notice on the front, those little tubes at each corner. Those connect to drain tubes that run down the "A"-pillars in the front and the "C"-pillars in the rear. If you look closely, you will see the "channel" or drip rail. As it rains, water gets in there, then makes it's way to each corner, drains down, and comes out under the car somewhere.

So if those are clogged up, the water will back up, drip over, and gravity takes over. In order to get in there to clean them (blow compressed air through, and if that doesn't work, something small like a very long pipe cleaner), you will need to remove all the plastic covers on the pillars (caution, airbags may be in the B-pillar, so disconnecting the battery would be wise), remove any "oh-shit" handles in the ceiling, and perhaps in the rear, it may make life easier to remove and disconnect the courtesy light assembly. Then gently pull down/carefully drop the headliner. From there you will see this assembly bolted to the ceiling of the car and you will see those drain connections.

264WOODY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57
    In addition to the window seal issue... Do you have a sunroof? If so, the rear drain tubes (there is one on each side of the sunroof assembly), which may be clogged. If it rains hard enough and the water backs up, it may seep out over the sunroof assembly's drip rail, leak down the pillar, and into the trunk. It's a PITA to get to them but... If the drains are ok, and it is a bad window seal, you can try sealing it yourself without rear window removal, with some form of adhesive sealer, but to keep it clean off the glass and paint, would be tedious. What I have done in some cases where customers didn't want to pay to get it re-sealed properly (as long as it isn't leaking INTO the interior of the car), as well as my own cars, get a small drill bit, and at the lowest point of the well, drill a small pinhole. Then coat it with that spray sealer or even a coat of paint to protect against rust/corrosion. This way, the water won't accumulate. ---------- Here is what a GM sunroof assembly looks like. This isn't out of an STS. This is out of my Bonneville, but in essence, it is the same. In this picture, the sunroof is closed, so the glass is at the front, the rear of the assembly is open. Notice on the front, those little tubes at each corner. Those connect to drain tubes that run down the "A"-pillars in the front and the "C"-pillars in the rear. If you look closely, you will see the "channel" or drip rail. As it rains, water gets in there, then makes it's way to each corner, drains down, and comes out under the car somewhere. So if those are clogged up, the water will back up, drip over, and gravity takes over. In order to get in there to clean them (blow compressed air through, and if that doesn't work, something small like a very long pipe cleaner), you will need to remove all the plastic covers on the pillars (caution, airbags may be in the B-pillar, so disconnecting the battery would be wise), remove any "oh-shit" handles in the ceiling, and perhaps in the rear, it may make life easier to remove and disconnect the courtesy light assembly. Then gently pull down/carefully drop the headliner. From there you will see this assembly bolted to the ceiling of the car and you will see those drain connections.
    Oh boy, first things first, sounds like you've been down this road a time or two. Thank you for your help, the people in this forum are the best.I've been checking out the rest of the forum for this issue and think in going to start of with sticking my son or nephew in the trunk. Lol. And then take the water hose to specific areas until I find the culprit. And then proceed from there, I hate to start tearing the inside apart unless absolutely necessary.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Done that too. Take apart the inside of the car, sit inside, have someone blast the car with a hose, wait for leaks to appear.

Yes, I've done this once or 100 times. Last one was a Monte Carlo SS. The carpet was always wet on the drivers side, on the side leading from the footwells up to the door, after a good rain. So I tore it apart, checked and cleared all sunroof drains (always work from top to bottom), to no avail. Finally got another person to get the massive fire hose sized hose out while I sat inside, had them drench the door area, and sure enough. All that work to find that the door weatherseal was shot...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.