TimmyC Ported Blower Results
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, TimmyC Ported Blower Results in Cadillac V-Series Forums; A few months ago, I set off on a goal to document and confirm that good blower porting on the ...
    bjherron123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 STS-V

TimmyC Ported Blower Results

A few months ago, I set off on a goal to document and confirm that good blower porting on the STS-V was worth decent horsepower. I have a lot of experience with supercharger porting from my days when I owned a company called Apten that ported Cobra blowers. I ran across TimmyC and he was more than willing to do porting and help me document the results.

Pic 1. Before any modifications took place, I did a dyno pull at Livernois. Bone stock it pulled 377RWHP and 367RWTQ.

After the stock dyno pull, I decided to install the best bang for the buck modifications on my STS-V. That included a new upper pulley, shorter belt, tune file, and cold air intake. All parts were purchased from TimmyC

pic 2: Dyno pull at Livernois with my bolt-on parts: pulley, cold air intake, and tune file. 408RWHP and 426 RWTQ.

After the bolt-ons, I sent Tim a blower to port. He machined it and when it was ready I drove out there and he even installed it for me. We had to change the tune to accommodate the 60lb injectors. I drove home, and a few weeks later headed back to the dyno.

On the dyno, I did a bit of tuning to optimize for the 60lb injectors with my HP tuners license. I got pretty close, but it's rich (11.64:1) and timing is pulled back about 3-4 degrees for now. I want to put some more miles on it before I get aggressive with the tuning. You can also see on the dyno chart that I have something taking away power after 5500 RPM's where the curve is still climbing. It may be belt slip or spark plug gap. I am running stock plugs with the stock gap. Injectors were at 80% duty cycle, knock sensor was not subtracting anything.

Pic 3: Dyno pull at Livernois with the ported blower and injectors added. 450 RWHP and 450 RWTQ.

All runs were done on the same dyno. Just the porting resulted in 20-30HP across the board with a peak torque gain of around 40 FT/LB in the 3-4,000 RPM range and peak HP Gain of about 50HP above 6,000. Not bad bang for the buck.

I'll continue to drive the car and get a little more aggressive with the tuning after I have some more miles on it and get the plugs changed out. It's pretty clear from the logs and graphs that there is more in this car just with some tuning. I'd also like to find a way to drive the blower even faster.

pic 4: ported vs non-ported
    pic 5: stock vs all mods (including ported)

I think TimmyC is charging $695 for the porting, which is a great deal for the power gains. The car is a blast to drive, and these numbers are approaching a stock CTS-V2. The only bummer is that winter is coming soon! I am going to try and get out to the track before it closes for the season.

Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: TimmyC Ported Blower Results

images
    Attached Images

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Impressive. No pics though.

----------

Sorry too soon haha

fixed it!

Fierofiend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

Looks very promising! Do you have the graphs with boost and AFR on them too by any chance? Do you feel stock manifolds/cats are holding you back any?

I have the log files, but they are HP tuners so I'll try to graph them out in a useable format later. the ported blower only added about 1psi of boost by itself, most of the gains are from increased efficiency.

To get a good comparison we'd have to test the manifolds and cats in a similar way. I am guessing there is probably some increase from the exhaust system as a whole, but probably nothing that substantial.

Brian

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Get it to the track I want to see your mph. I was at 114.8-115.3.

Angr-E1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06STS-V

Great numbers. Have you, or anyone for that matter, thought about tuning on e85? I have seen many gains on turbo and s/c cars just from adding e85 and tuning. No other mods or changes to their set up. I've talked to the tuner at Serious HP which he stated that they can get a 40-60hp increase by tuning on e85onon a "well modded" cts-v2.

If I recall, the STS-V isn't setup to sense E85. That could be a bit of a problem for daily drivers because at most points you are going to have a mix of e85 and premium. GM's E85 vehicles usually measure tank pressure or have an optical sensor to determine how much E85 is in the tank and adjust the calibration accordingly.

beyond that, I've never seen that much gain just from timing increases and E85 on a street car. I suppose it could be tried, but I would probably guess that it's worth closer to 10-15hp.

Brian

06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

My uncle runs 1/4 tank e85, 5 gals vp 110, and tops the tank off with premium in his turbo 4 banger Dodge wagon when he does track days. He's ran several 11.9's and swears that the e85 keeps combustion temps down. I know his car was never "tuned" to run the e85 but again, he swears it runs better with a small amount added to his tank. Of course he trailers it to the track and doesn't drive it on the street much so I don't know about the effects on daily driving.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

The issue with E85 on this car is the already crappy range will go down into the pain-in-the-ass zone. You won't be able to get more than 175 miles between fillups in mixed driving. It is also unknown whether the fuel pump has the capacity needed for E85. You need 25-30% more fuel with that stuff. I may try it at some point just for fun but it is not practical to have to get fuel every 3-4 days.

The tuner I talked to at SHP here in Houston told me how they install an e85 sensor and repin the ecu to be able to have the car run on both e85 and 93. He told me that you could even run a 50/50 mix and the ecu would compensate. I'm going to try it eventually, but I need more mods. I'll be in contact with you TimmyC.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by Angr-E1 View Post
    I need more mods. I'll be in contact with you TimmyC.
    Everyone needs more mods
    Nimoch likes this.

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

angr, dave steck is one of the ppl that are pioneering the flex fuel setups for non flex fuel cars. he is also the person that tunes my car, so I have some insight for everyone on this one. the fuel pump will not support corn, it will need to be upgraded as well injectors. dave has developed the kit that is plug and play for most gm cars to run corn, HOWEVER, after him messing with mine, he said its not really worth the loss in driving range and finding good corn fuel is not easy. they are all slightly different and if your tuners are pushing your cars to the max, that will cause issues with an e85 tune if you don't get the same quality each time, meaning in order to control the quality, your better off buying it by the barrel and mixing your own.
    Angr-E1 likes this.

That's good to know boomys10. Has he tried messing with a KB boost-a-pump to give the fuel pump some extra "play"? As for injectors, I would say 60lb maybe even 72lb souls be more than enough. I'd more than likely buy a 55 gallon drum and fill it up at the local gas station.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.