Possible Power Steering Issue - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Possible Power Steering Issue in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio Thanks Gregory. Thinking about it. There's definitely something rubbing/grinding that shouldn't be. Some kind of friction. ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Possible Power Steering Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Thanks Gregory.

Thinking about it. There's definitely something rubbing/grinding that shouldn't be. Some kind of friction. Especially because I feel the vibration not only in the wheel but in my left foot when it's sitting on the dead pedal. Whatever is grinding is causing enough vibration to allow me to feel that.

And the fact that its only when I turn in one direction that I feel it has to be a big hint as to what it might be. I just don't know enough to diagnose. Ill report on noise tomorrow.
    Hello Guy.Seminerio,

You are welcome! I agree that rubbing and grinding, especially only in one direction may not be a sign of something normal. We will be looking for your update tomorrow and on Monday. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Very slightly audible low pitch groan.

I'm canceling my appointment with Cadillac. I don't know what I was thinking here. I've had nothing but bad experiences with this dealer.

Right around the corner is this place that seems like a pretty tight operation. As soon as the lowering springs come in I'm going to have them change all 4 tires (the alignment severely screwed up my current rubber.) Already ordered the continental extreme contact dws front and back, nitrogen fill, road force balance, check all suspension components, diagnose and fix the steering issue, install the springs, alignment.

I kind of already went into this subject with the service rep but I understand the alignment specs they're going to go with are not exactly optimal for tire wear and that they're really not supposed to deviate from the prescribed settings. But they're willing to go with my desired specs. I want them perfectly straight for minimal wear. Any advice on this?

todrules is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I don't know how aggressive our alignments are, but they do tend to cause uneven wear. On my previous M5 and 540i's the factory alignments do actually necessitate some negative camber which does help corner but tends to wear the outside pretty quickly. I actually had an aftermarket camber kit on my M5 that helped alot with the uneven wear. I doubt anyone makes such a kit for our cars, but I'm sure they can be aligned close to straight and with the springs I'm thinking you should be fine. Just my $.02.

Thanks. Somewhere on these forums someone said that the mfr specs call for a certain alignment that compensates for the road crown so customers don't complain thinking their wheel is pulling right.

Someone else I talked to said the mfr specs call for a slight toe in for better straight line stability at speeds. Makes it less likely for the wheel to want to "wander."

Not sure how true these things are but I don't care for them. Straight. Even tire wear.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac

You have to have some toe in or the car won't track straight. Camber can be zero for better tire wear though.

Thanks Tim. That seems to be what that 2nd guy was explaining to me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.