Muffler Bipass
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hammerheadv
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Muffler Bipass in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hey guys, anybody here who is running no mufflers of high flow mufflers ever have a problem with codes due ...
    06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

Muffler Bipass

Hey guys, anybody here who is running no mufflers of high flow mufflers ever have a problem with codes due to lack of back pressure?

Here's my thought? I've kicked around the thought of running an exhaust for months now but just can't seem to make up my mind. I like that this car is quiet and tame while cruising but unleashes some serious s/c whine (thanks to the TCFAB intake) while on the gas. So, everything I've read about the aftermarket exhausts pretty much tells me that the car is pretty loud with any of the available units out there. After kicking a few thoughts around, I looked at my Pop's Corvette.... Why not put valves on the exhaust?

http://www.pfyc.com/p/GN5020/Quick+T...tegory_Code=GN

I'm thinking about installing this system at the rear of the car where the exhaust runs from the center out to the mufflers. This will give me both sound and power when open, yet I can close them and maintain the quiet ride when the woman is in the car with me.

The concerns I have are: What if this thing is just way too loud without running through the mufflers, and would there be any issues caused by lack of back pressure? Your thoughts and advise are welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Re: Muffler Bipass

No problems from lack of back pressure. The stock mufflers are pretty good anyway so there won't be that much difference.

One thing you could do is get aftermarket mufflers or system and install one electric cutout so that it blocks one muffler when closed. All the exhaust will be routed through the other muffler and you'll get the quiet cruising you want. Open the cutout and exhaust flows through both mufflers for max sound. I used a system like this in my turbo setup and it worked great. I used a vacuum operated valve that opened with boost.

This only works if the resonator has a crossover in it. If it doesn't you'll need to have an H pipe added.

Dave G is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

The Corvette (drawing a blank on year/model) also uses a vacuum assisted muffler. I've toyed with the idea of incorporating this into a system somehow.

There is a part of me that'd like to just do electric cutouts with turndowns

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

gutted cats and no mufflers here, never a single CEL for it. your good to go on it good sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
    The Corvette (drawing a blank on year/model) also uses a vacuum assisted muffler. I've toyed with the idea of incorporating this into a system somehow.

There is a part of me that'd like to just do electric cutouts with turndowns
    My Pop's has a 10' grand sport with the gated exhaust, he jail breaked it with a kit to allow him to open and close them with a remote.
    I think I'm going to go this route, I was just concerned about the back pressure. I'll just dump them out at the valves. Give me a couple of weeks to figure out how to hide the money from the woman, and I'll keep you posted on the install.

Nimoch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

I have a muffler delete as well; no issues.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Just keep it stock and add two electric cut outs behind the cats. My friend did that too his trail blazer ss sounds so mean. Gets lots of looks the good and the bad (cops) but its fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 1madstsv View Post
    Just keep it stock and add two electric cut outs behind the cats. My friend did that too his trail blazer ss sounds so mean. Gets lots of looks the good and the bad (cops) but its fun.
    That's what I'm talking about doing, just placing them at the rear rather than up front...

hammerheadv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V

I had electronic cutouts on my 2005 CTS-V. The exhaust wasn't completely stock (x-pipe and magna flow mufflers). They are completely different motors but hopefully this gives you some idea.

Closed Startup
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND-_XyCC1p8

Open Startup
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJpGo-RtFCQ
    06 STS Rob likes this.

Dave G is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED
    So how does the cut out kit allow more power to be produced?

----------

The Varex option seems cool but how do they sound?

Quote Originally Posted by youknooow View Post
    So how does the cut out kit allow more power to be produced?

----------

The Varex option seems cool but how do they sound?
    I'm guessing there won't be much power gain in my application. If you notice, the big power gains were on turbo cars, probably mounted before cats and mufflers allowing no restriction on the exhaust. I'm looking for more of a sound improvement without having a loud exhaust on road trips...best of both world kind of thing.

hammerheadv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V

Cutouts don't produce power gains to my knowledge, and I certainly didn't feel any difference. I would never do cutouts on the STS-V, but I do remember the looks when people would see a Cadillac that sounded the way it did... I believe if you search Youtube for "STS-V Exhaust" you can find a video where the guy gave his V straight pipes.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

My videos are out there too. I don't have straight pipes, but replaced the stock resonator and stock mufflers with Magnaflows.

No issues whatsoever.

theotherguyssn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 sts-v

i did exact same set up as this guy and i love the way it sounds on the car and never had issue with ses light from exahust http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZtvjX71o0c

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.