If Microsoft made a car, I'd be driving it....... :(
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, If Microsoft made a car, I'd be driving it....... :( in Cadillac V-Series Forums; So...... A while back, I lamented about having to 'reboot' my car after it randomly getting the 'Shift to Park' ...
    beyerch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

If Microsoft made a car, I'd be driving it....... :(

So......

A while back, I lamented about having to 'reboot' my car after it randomly getting the 'Shift to Park' issue where the car won't shut up unless you pull the battery and it won't shift out of 3rd gear (while driving) unless you clear DTC's?

Today's fun is that when merging onto the expressway, (my favorite part of the commute) once I laid into the accelerator hard, the car went BOOM/Reduced Engine Power and the accelerator wouldn't do anything at all. Gliding to the side of the road and hooked up the Tech II to check for codes. Code was present for pedal position correlation.... Cleared DTC and then the accelerator worked again. Started to get moving and the car was fine. Accelerated a little harder, OK. Really got into it and .... BOOM/Reduced Engine Power / Engine light. Since the Tech II was still connected, I cleared the DTC and was able to continue driving again. After playing with this for a while, it seemed that anytime I got more than ~40% into the throttle, DTC popped up.

I love having to reboot my car to drive it, lol.

I'm somewhat suspecting wiring since I get a random Service Stability System error from the Steering Wheel Position sensor which is also in the same general vicinity. There is additionally a TSB on this subject the connection point between the IPC and BCM. I was curious if anyone has had this issue or can add any info here? It seems to me that if it were a wiring issue, it shouldn't be limited to a given throttle position. Or perhaps it is off the entire time; however, its just that the correlation variance is finally high enough to set the code at that point.

This weekend, I'll probably bust out the muti-meter and see if I can track anything down.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: If Microsoft made a car, I'd be driving it....... :(

So a bit of an update to this......

I did get the thing to work in the AM by clearing ECU trouble codes, while coasting on the expressway, and driving nicely.

On the way home, the car flat out died on me. Pulled codes and saw nothing. It was out of gas.... Gauge showed (at the time it stalled initially) that I had ~ 1/4 tank left and I never received any type of low fuel warning. After trying to start it, gauge conveniently went to empty. Not cool.

Later that night I filled up the car and took it back out on the empty roads so that I could log some APP / TPS data. No matter what I tried doing, I could not get the car to repeat the highway incident from early in the AM. Playback of the APP/TPS information showed no issues..... Any remote possibility that low fuel and sudden acceleration would bog down the car and somehow make it close off the throttle thereby causing the variance large enough to trigger a DTC? Sounds a bit far fetched, but really a weird deal......

Did some wiring inspection and see that the previous owner did some splicing in the back of the engine area using cheap-o supplies. Going to solder this stuff properly.....

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

I can only imagine that the fuel was so low that the G force caused by attempting heavy acceleration was making it impossible for the fuel to flow properly to the engine.
    I wonder if your fuel pump is weak/wearing out/damaged...

^

I'm pretty sure low fuel played a part in this; however, I can't quite understand why I got the TPS / APP correlation error and the reduced engine power message because of it......

Going to do some reading through the shop manuals to see if they make any reference about low fuel triggering this type of situation.

I've never ever had an error about APP sensor before with this car so the timing is rather convenient. :shrug:

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

It may have something to do with the car running out of fuel and thus not consuming the amount of air that the computer thinks it should based on the pedal position or throttle blade position.

Ok, so this isn't fuel or air intake related....... Full tank of gas, hardly accelerating, and BAM died again. Nothing says fun like car with no more throttle in FRiday night traffic ..... Good thing I had the Tech II connected sitting on the Clear DTC screen.....

Up until today, it's been fine for quite a few days...

Pattern appears to be water related as the car sat outside today and it rained. The last time this happened it rained the night before.

I'm sure it has to do with the shit wiring job someone did under the hood. At least I was planning on redoing that correctly anyway, though I wasn't looking to spend my f'ing holiday weekend doing it.....

It *COULD* be a connection in the car as there is a TSB (non STS-V specific) talking about this problem though.

Hopefully, I can take it out tonight and recreate it while logging so I can see if the APP sensor or Throttle sensor looks crazy. Last time

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Good luck! What a pain.

I did some wiring repair and so far so good......

Waiting for a rainy day.... Might get the water hose out as well .......

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

i'd just wait for a rainy day ... no need to risk messing something else up with a hose in the wrong spots.

Quote Originally Posted by beyerch View Post
    I did some wiring repair and so far so good......

Waiting for a rainy day.... Might get the water hose out as well .......
    What did you repair? An obvious problem?

Previous owner did some shadetree wiring. Also hit something on front driver at some point and tweaked C1 connector..... Most of the random problems appear to be things from C1... Also looked over interior wiring and saw a couple minor items.....

UPDATE: 8:45 AM, downtown Chicago, switching lanes and BAM. Reduced Engine Power, no throttle..... Hardly on the gas at all.

I'm about to just drop the whole f*cking drivetrain on this car and pull the interior and redo it.

Sat in the parking garage for ~45 minutes trying to cause the APP correlation failures and couldn't do it. ONE time, I got APP 1 and 2 to disagree, but only for < 1 second.

While I'm PO'd about the crummy wiring that is probably the culprit here, I'm also a little curious why would GM make the car completely kill the throttle control for a mometary failure. Reading the Service Manual, there should be 3 different levels of reduced engine power. First is capped RPM/Speed, second is no throttle control and engine idle, third is engine off. I get if it seems something crazy like WOT w/o correlation, but part throttle / momentary? Seems a bit harsh. It seems to me it would make sense to 'restart' control if the correlations are accurate again for X amount of time. If I didn't sit with a Tech II on te passenger seat prepped to clear DTC's, surely would have ended up in an accident.

Time to put this car in the garage until further notice I guess.........

parkeraire is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06' sts-v

That sux! Eletrical gremlins are my nemisis. I had a 91 fleetwood brougham that would drive me nuts. About every 6 monthsthe dash would go out for a day or two. Ended up selling the car before I figuered out where the problem was. Very frustrating.

parkeraire - Yeah, PITA. I did get this resolved. Took a bit to get it worked out, but all better now.

Quote Originally Posted by beyerch View Post
    parkeraire - Yeah, PITA. I did get this resolved. Took a bit to get it worked out, but all better now.
    And the problem was... More wiring?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.