Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Looking to buy a STS-V

28K views 156 replies 32 participants last post by  CMNTMXR57 
#1 ·
I live in CT about 30 mins from NYC, I always wanted a STS-v when they first came out. I just sold my Silverado SS and I'm looking to buy a STS-v at a reasonable price. I found a few here and there, black on black preferred. Maybe under 75k miles. I saw in a thread where the 08's have a HUD? If there is anyone out there in the New England area that'd like to sell, message me. Thanks

-Paul

#128 ·
You talking about the little plate thing that has the name of the guy that put the engine together? Tom Morrissey built mine.

----------

The following is a post on *******.

Here is a list of some of the known XLR-V engine builders at Wixom:

Tom Morrissey
Robert Vernier
Ron Hein
Charlie Giese
Bruce Blomfield
Gary Andrews
Paul Sage
Bruce Elam
Ed Richards
Bob Trommater

It's an interesting read with a link or two that branch out to some more interesting info. http://www.*******.com/forums/official-cadillac-xlr-registry/6408-registry-related-photos.html.

#129 ·
Sorry guys I been delaying this recall sticker, it's posted on the sight shield on the drivers side. My hub bearing came in today, so tomorrow AM I am going to change it and give the car a nice bath for a car show on Sunday. Tomorrow I will also take some nice pics of the car for here and myself.

----------

In the pic of my car, you can sort of see it in the lower right corner of the pic of the engine bay. It is signed and numbered too

#134 ·
Hello all. So I've been reading posts on this forum and I have to admit I'm very impressed by the knowledge and experience I've seen. I'm jumping in head first - I looking to get an STS V as a pleasure car, weekend driver. I live in NY, looking below $25k range. ANY guidance would be greatly appreciated. I understand this car is somewhat rare, but I think I've come to the right place....

#135 ·
Autotrader.com. Search for sts and select v8 as an engine. Then in keywords type "sts v" for some reason if you include the dash it doesn't work as well.

Cargurus.com. This site actually lists the sts-v as a vehicle that exists.

If found numerous cars off each. Got my current one on car gurus. Good luck you'll enjoy it.

#138 ·
Autotrader.com. Search for sts and select v8 as an engine. Then in keywords type "sts v" for some reason if you include the dash it doesn't work as well.
cars.com seems to also have cars that I don't find on autotrader. Found my Audi at a Mercedes dealership that didn't advertise on autotrader. I looked at Escalades and STSs as well and found some on cars that didn't show up on autotrader.

Also, it seems that if you put, 'sts v' in the search it might not list some. I just look for STS, V8 and sort from most to least expensive, that usually puts them right at the top of the list for me to find them.

#136 ·
Gray rider said:
Hello all. So I've been reading posts on this forum and I have to admit I'm very impressed by the knowledge and experience I've seen. I'm jumping in head first - I looking to get an STS V as a pleasure car, weekend driver. I live in NY, looking below $25k range. ANY guidance would be greatly appreciated. I understand this car is somewhat rare, but I think I've come to the right place....[/QUOTE

Where in NY are u?

#140 ·
Gray rider said:
Hello all. So I've been reading posts on this forum and I have to admit I'm very impressed by the knowledge and experience I've seen. I'm jumping in head first - I looking to get an STS V as a pleasure car, weekend driver. I live in NY, looking below $25k range. ANY guidance would be greatly appreciated. I understand this car is somewhat rare, but I think I've come to the right place....
Any luck?

#141 ·
Gray rider are you still looking? I am in Buffalo and about to put mine up for sale, well within your price range. 06 Thunder Gray with 67,000 miles, brand new tires, Spectre stage 2 intake, freshly detailed that I'm selling for 21. If you want to know more, let me know.

#142 ·
Looking at the prices on Autotrader. Man! A car like this for so little money. It's insane how cheap these cars are going for. I can't understand why these cars depreciated so much.

I can't think of another car from this genre that is less. An Infiniti M45 is more money than this car. How!?

How is this car not selling in the high 20's?

I think it's the 6 lug wheels. Just a deal breaker for anyone who wants to put rims on their car and doesn't want to spend big dollars doing it.

#144 ·
I think it's the 6 lug wheels. Just a deal breaker for anyone who wants to put rims on their car and doesn't want to spend big dollars doing it.
Yeah....no. Wish I could tell you exactly why. Most low volume high priced cars have very high depreciation (Jaguar XJ, Most V12 German cars, Porsche SUVs). The STS-V is pretty high on the list but its not because of people being unable to put rims on it. Part of it has to do with the limited used market. Low demand = low prices. We've basically reached the bottom though. 2006s have been trading between 18 and 23k for well over a year depending on condition. You aren't going to see them drop much more because at that point the car becomes worth more taken part than kept together. I want to sell mine, but its terribly difficult to accept the idea that whatever I buy will be a huge downgrade in every aspect of automobiling.

I'm in agreement with others though...the fact that this car is trading for less money than an entry level German sport sedan from an equal year is pretty astonishing. Nature of the beast; don't be the first buyer of an exotic. I really want to find an old man who bought his STS-V new and still proudly owns it.

#143 ·
I think it's reliability issues and other "better" options like CTS-V...

----------

I remember when it first came out in 2006, everyone was saying that it's not worth 78k, but 60k was a very good price for the STSV. I agree. I love mine and it doesn't feel cheap. Although the interior design could have been better.

----------

Wondering if the recaros from CTS V would fit.

#148 ·
Mercedes has some pretty serious depreciation issues of his own.

Here's what I meant.

I've been at Cadillac dealers and it has come up that I own an sts-v. As a matter of fact it was this nice salesman who was trying to put me in an ats. I explained that I ended up picking up an sts-v and I was going to wait it out for the gen 3 CTS-v. Salesman first "corrects" me and says "cts-v" which at this point I'm used to. I explain, nope an sts-v. 2006-09 limited production car, blah blah. He says he didn't even know they made an sts-v. This has happened more than once with people at DEALERS.

I'll be at a gas station and I'll get the "nice car man. That's got the corvette motor right? My friend has one. Fast." Stuff like that. ALL THE TIME. I have to explain that this isn't "the one with the corvette motor." Happens so damn much that half the time I just say "yeah it's a beast." Just not in the mood sometimes I guess.

Granted, DEPRECIATION isn't made better with gm's bad rap sheet from back in the dark era, but demand? In this case it's because people don't know the damn thing exists.

If someone publicly broadcasted on a national scale that you could buy a sharply designed Cadillac with relevant technology, reliable, solid, comfortable, pretty rare, leather wrapped everything, 15 speaker Bose, yada yada (all the features) and oh by the way it just so happens to nail 60 in under 5 seconds, in other words, made it known that this car exists... And that you could have one for under 30 g's these things would start getting grabbed up much quicker.

Low demand=low prices, as Youngblood says, but I don't believe the demand is low for the same reason you do.

Cadillac has managed to define Cadillac with "CTS." Everybody's heard of the CTS-V. Only people in the know have knowledge of the STS-V. Same for XLR-V.

#151 ·
Cadillac has managed to define Cadillac with "CTS." Everybody's heard of the CTS-V. Only people in the know have knowledge of the STS-V. Same for XLR-V.
I had a guy ask me today to see the V-12 under the hood. :confused::confused::confused:

Reactions: Guy.Seminerio
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.