Cadillac Owners Forum banner

No NAV With HUD

24K views 121 replies 14 participants last post by  Guy.Seminerio 
#1 ·
I need some help from you guys. My HUD works fine but I've never had the nav instructions show up on it when there is a route going. I looked in an old forum and 3 people, each of whom had an 09 (non V) had their problems solved by a firmware update. I took my car into the dealer and they said I am up to date and that I need a new nav for $27xx. Based my past with this dealer, my confidence that they are correct in saying my firmware is fully updated is 0.

I'd like you guys to check under the diagnostics screen what your versions are. Some may know how to do this but for those who don't, the instructions are as follows:

Put the car into acc, on, or start.
Get to the map screen by pressing the globe hard key.
Press "menu" soft key.
Above the "memory points" soft key, and directly across from the title "nav menu" is a blank space. Press and hold your finger down there for about 5 seconds until a keypad appears. You are basically pressing on a hidden soft key.
When the keypad appears, type in 295660 for 2008+ cars (9448 for older.)

There are two screens we're concerned with. The "parts info" and the "soft rel."

Under parts info, what is your "navi version?"

What is your soft rel?

I'm really asking this of 2008 (and 2009?) guys because of the HUD. I'm assuming you guys get the nav stuff showing up on the HUD just fine.

Last night I unplugged all the nav plugs in the back and reconnected. No dice. What I'm hoping and expecting to hear from you is that your versions are different from mine which would tell me that in fact I do need a firmware update.

Just a tip, if you guys are on your iPhones or whatever, take a screen shot of these instructions so you can refer to them while you're pulling the info up.

Thanks in advance for taking the time out to do this crap. Appreciate it.

----------

For your reference, here is the old thread I'm referring to. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...0159-nav-turn-instructions-dont-show-hud.html.

See less See more
#35 ·
I already talked to the place I got my STS from (Rizza Cadillac Buick) and one guy jumped and he said no it wont be done! and the other one said yeah you can order the new map discs and you can do that through our parts department, so I just decided to leave, life too short to argue with them people.
I'll call my guys at Cadillac of Naperville and see what they will say, they are pretty much open minded, you can find all kind of moded cars there and they welcome it with no problem, saw CTS-V one time at their shop with Vette 7.0 LS7.

#43 ·
Speakin Spanish to me hopefully Chris gets it.

What does it take to open up a tsb. Do you think if this works for me along with the others in the forum, customer service could somehow push for a tsb so future 09 users don't have to go through this crap? I guarantee 80% of the 09s out there are missing this function and don't know, don't care, or tried and failed like I would have if it wasn't for this forum.

#45 ·
all I know is that I have the discs... i've even emailed them to people
the instructions are in the bulletin (as far as I know)
and i think it has been posted a few times (here's one)

being that your car doesn't fall into the bulletin you're taking a risk
my service department might be willing to help out
or i can try and talk to one of the guys and see if they want to do a little side work
but you'll pretty much have to tell them what you want them to do

even for cars that do fall under this bulletin not many people have heard of this or have done nav firmware updates

if someone else has done what you want to do then basically you're just following their lead
so you can kind of be confident in that

if not then you're blazing a trail for others to follow and kind of just have to wing it

#48 ·
I think the point that Chris is trying to make here is that the TSB points out the 05-07 models and the firmware update he has is for that TSB while the 08+ has a slightly different nav unit compared to the 05-07 models.
So the force flash gamble might render the whole unit useless. However, we are hoping that the differences between all the STS navs are minor enough that the firmware would be compatible across the entire line.
Does this mean using the diag code 3657 and the S/W Update button to force the unit to update? Not sure, this is the trail that is being blazed on your own.

#52 ·
Chris do any other firmware update discs exist? Newer ones?

----------

In other words, besides these two exact discs, has there ever existed another way to update the firmware on these cars?

----------

Because if not, then the others who had this problem solved through a firmware update must've used these discs too.

----------

By the way I already called the dealer that ordered the map disc for me and lied and told me it was a nav update disc. I specifically said "this is the disc you put in to update the nav, then you take it back and use it for the next guy?" He said yes. Turns out the part number checks out as a map disc. So I call him and tell him I'm not driving an hour so he can put a map disc in my car and see that it doesn't work after I told him twice on the phone before I got there and twice while I was there, that this has nothing to do with the map disc. And I told his service guy personally.

He said he had to do what GM told him.

#53 ·
Guy, I don't know if you could get anywhere with this, but maybe you should try contacting Denso (the manufacturer of the Nav) and see if you can get any info about firmware from them.

When they tell you to talk to GM dealers, tell them they do a bad job of keeping GM informed. Someone knows. You just have to find them.

#55 ·
I really don't think so. That bulletin and those discs came out in 2007, so it wouldn't make any sense for the 08+ STSs to need that update.

It's got to be a different update. Also the fact that the version numbers between updated 05s - 07s and 08s - 09s that have Nav working with HUD are different proves it.

#60 ·
Fierofriend, it seems the 08s weren't affected by this. Through old forums I know of 3 people with 09s who had this problem solved with a firmware update. My navi is 0070.

Chris, can your guys do that update for me?

----------

Called denso left a message with someone and didn't get a call back. I don't see that route going anywhere anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.