A few questions: interior materials and intellibeam
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, A few questions: interior materials and intellibeam in Cadillac V-Series Forums; 1. What material is the headliner made of? Is the v/platinum headliner different from the regular sts headliner? I know ...
    Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

A few questions: interior materials and intellibeam

1. What material is the headliner made of? Is the v/platinum headliner different from the regular sts headliner? I know the headliner in my buddy's 08 cts is much crappier.

2. What is the aluminum trim made of? I've seen something online that calls it "kinetic aluminum accents" but can't find anything that explains what that is. Is it really aluminum?

3. Does the intellibeam ever find it appropriate to turn on one high beam and leave the other headlight high beam off? On page 3-34 of the 2008 manual they sneak this sentence in the middle of a paragraph in the intellibeam section and do not elaborate: "Your vehicle has variable intensity high-beams." I do feel like sometimes the auto high beams are brighter than other times. Is it a dimmer?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Intellibeam adjusts for speed. Faster you go brighter they get.

mjs182004 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 Brougham d' Elegance, 06 STS-V

Re: A few questions: interior materials and intellibeam

I always wondered about the high beams, sometimes mine look brighter then others. Now I know. I do believe that both of them should come on though. Maybe one of yours is burnt out? And I also believe that the aluminum trim is real aluminum.

No they're both working. I can see when I put them on manually. Only thing is when the intellibeam activates the high-beams there's no way of knowing if they're both always on. Think about it. No cars in front of you to see reflections. Just darkness.

Thanks for the answers so far. Good to know about the speed thing. How did you know that 1 bad cad? What is the speed where they're at their brightest setting? I tested when they activate one time. I think it was in the 20s. I'm guessing that would be the dimmest setting.

It would be optimal if it dimmed or brightened based on illumination from things like street lights, etc, and if it did shut one off only when appropriate. For example, oncoming traffic on a 3 lane interstate should allow the right beam to stay on and left off. This way you could continue to watch for animals while not blinding oncoming drivers. Thought it did this. Oh well. Doesn't matter anyway since infra red is the way forward.

Too bad about the stubborn lighting laws in the US. Apparently mb has the technology where your low beam will point as high as possible at all times without blinding drivers ahead. It will automatically illuminate as high as the trunklid of a car far out in front of you. Cool. All through the use of shutters. Also it could keep the high beams on and use shutters to block a small portion of the beam out, that portion being what would have been directed at an oncoming vehicle. The car detects the oncoming vehicle and continues to adjust which part of the high beam is blocked. Cool.

The aluminum sometimes has a cold feeling to it which leads me to believe its metal, but it doesn't seem like metal when you feel it or knock on it. I don't know.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    They come on at 25 mph

Believe it's covered in the owners manual. Not sure at what speed they go max intensity.

All I see in the manual regarding the varying intensity is that one statement I put up in the original post.

http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manu...TS.pdf#page202

That's a 2008 manual. See page 3-34.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Is it only Intellibeam that varies the brightness? When you turn the brights on manually, are they just at full brightness?

Also, do you guys find that the lights don't dim soon enough with oncoming cars? I have trouble using Intellibeam because they don't dim until the oncoming driver is already upset.

I'd be surprised if putting the beams on manually didn't put them on full power. And yes I think we all realize that it's a little late to turn the lights off with oncoming traffic. It's a reactive system to begin with. It's not until you're high-beaming someone that the lens behind the mirror realizes it.

Even then though, sometimes cars with bluer lights are completely unrecognized as cars, sometimes it takes too long to notice oncoming traffic, and don't even get me started if there is a car ahead traveling in the same direction as you. Takes it forever to notice taillights ahead. Gotta go manual sometimes.

Fierofiend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

I feel that my car is very responsive to coming up on cars ahead. I know we all think quick as something different, but as soon as a taillight is visible I can tell it's started the sequence. It is almost exactly 2 seconds every time from the time they first appear. It's very consistent.

Started the sequence meaning slowly dimming it or completely shutting it off? Because I know for a fact that I get way too close to taillights sometimes before they shut off. I've just learned about the dimming thing recently so ill have to pay more attention to that if that's what you're talking about.

I've also noticed that it turns off the brights quickly with tail lights. Just not oncoming headlights.

It must have a good red light filter.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

I thought STS-V's did not get the intellibeam! I've never noticed a difference, but then again, I turn on/off my lights manually, with the switch. I'm a big boy, I don't need the car doing it for me.

The Auto button on your mirror is for Intellibeam.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Now that I think about it, I may be mixing that up with the adapative cruise, that we don't get (maybe later years did, I'm referring to '06).

If you have RPO TQ5 (on your SPI list sticker), then you have Intellibeam.

Stsv never got acc.

We all can turn on our own lights like big boys, but it's a convenience feature. Just like we all can turn the radio on everytime the car starts but it turns on by itself. Convenience feature.

The intellibeam won't be activated unless automatic headlights are on.

When intellibeam activates high beams, you can turn it off by pressing the button on the mirror, turning off automatic lights, or pulling the left stalk as if you were activating the flash to pass high beams.

Cmntmxr57 you should give intellibeam a chance. It's not so bad.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.