high pitched whine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, high pitched whine in Cadillac V-Series Forums; starting today afer i start the car, in about 30 seconds im getting a whine which sounds like its coming ...
    torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

high pitched whine

starting today afer i start the car, in about 30 seconds im getting a whine which sounds like its coming form the engine compartment.It doesnt change with rpm, or when the SC is engaged---turn radio and air off still hear it., Whe i shut the car down and restart it, there be no noise for like 30 seconds, then it comes on--its just a steady whine no matter what speed etc--i can turn radio up and cover it, but im concerned something seriuos may be evolving--still have extended warranty so will bring it to caddy but wanted some inputs

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Psycho-albanian is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS_V

Re: high pitched whine

Could be a belt going but if it's still under warranty take it in .

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by torched10 View Post
    starting today afer i start the car, in about 30 seconds im getting a whine which sounds like its coming form the engine compartment.It doesnt change with rpm, or when the SC is engaged---turn radio and air off still hear it., Whe i shut the car down and restart it, there be no noise for like 30 seconds, then it comes on--its just a steady whine no matter what speed etc--i can turn radio up and cover it, but im concerned something seriuos may be evolving--still have extended warranty so will bring it to caddy but wanted some inputs
    Hello torched10,

I apologize for trouble you are experiencing with starting your vehicle. I understand how you want advice from other forum members, however since your vehicle is still under extended warranty coverage, I recommend bringing your vehicle in for a proper diagnosis at a Cadillac dealership. Please let me know if I can be of assistance throughout this process. I am able to be reached via private message if you would like to discuss your concerns and keep me posted on the status of your vehicle.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

It sounds like the secondary A.I.R. system doing it's thing, injecting air into the exhaust stream, in an effort to help light off the catalyst, and helping get the car into closed loop operation sooner.

It should go off after closed loop is reached, or up to 240 seconds of operation (pretty standard across the board for GM), and then all it becomes is dead weight until the next cold or open loop start is detected.

If it doesn't go off after a couple minutes, then yes, take it in. If it does go off, then you're fine!

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Or electric cooling fan maybe?

Neither fans (low speed or high speed), have a high pithced whine to it. You'd also hear the air movement caused by it. When was the last time you heard a quiet fan?

Um, I meant maybe the fan is defective. You're assuming the sound is normal. I'm assuming its not because I thought that's what the OP meant.

He did say starting TODAY.

A faulty or worn out fan would sound like a buzzsaw. Even better is when the screws holding them in place to the shroud/frame, like to back out and the fan starts to wobble and contact parts of that shroud/frame or radiator fins. REALLY noisey.

Point is, you'd know if it were a fan. They're at their quitest when they operate properly. Just like any electric motor, when they're not, they get noisey.

Hopefully torched will update us with what it is.

youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED
    My 4.0 03 Aurora does that, I have not heard it on my V.

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

thanks for all the inputs---the sound didnt alter with speed so it wasnt the fan--- its now gone--all i did was check all my fluids, then tightened down all the caps where possible--now its gone. Do any of the fluids draw a vacuum--a friend has a code checker and it didnt throw off any codes--Guess its one of those gremlins.Had trouble starting my GT500 a couple weeks ago--it would start fine, then after first stop it intermieentl would take like 10 times to start it.Brought it in thay had it for 3 days and couldnt duplicate it--had them change th sensor on the clutch(the car wont start if clutch isnt to the floor) and now its fine,i hope

There won't be any faults If you hear it, it's doing it's job!

You would get a P0420 or P0440 most likely if it wasn't.

It has nothing to do with checking fluids. It is a small air pump that feeds fresh air into the exhaust stream. It will only come on when the car is in open loop (I.E. a cold start). Again, it's function is to help inject fresh air into the exhuast stream in the process of lighting off the catalyst, and to get the PCM into closed loop quicker. It shuts off automatically, not to be heard from again, once the vehicle is in closed loop operation OR 240 seconds of operation has elapsed. If you had the car warmed up (I.E. ran it already), then checked fluids, then restarted, you WON'T hear it as it won't run until the next time the vehicle has cooled down and been restarted in open loop operation.

beyerch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

I had a whine issue that started when I had my 'Shift to Park' / Trans locked into 3rd gear while I was entering expressway experience.

Using a stethoscope, it seems like the noise is coming from power steering.

My guess is the higher than normal engine RPM for a bit longer than normal cooked something in the PS Pump....

I need to pull belts off to see if noise goes away to confirm yet though. Been busy, but next couple of weeks are wide open...

beyerch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Here's the noise my car is making .....

http://www.charlescbeyer.com/STSvNoise.m4a

(That was recorded in January, though the sound has changed a bit)

Sound anything like yours?

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac

Quote Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57 View Post
    There won't be any faults If you hear it, it's doing it's job!

You would get a P0420 or P0440 most likely if it wasn't.

It has nothing to do with checking fluids. It is a small air pump that feeds fresh air into the exhaust stream. It will only come on when the car is in open loop (I.E. a cold start). Again, it's function is to help inject fresh air into the exhuast stream in the process of lighting off the catalyst, and to get the PCM into closed loop quicker. It shuts off automatically, not to be heard from again, once the vehicle is in closed loop operation OR 240 seconds of operation has elapsed. If you had the car warmed up (I.E. ran it already), then checked fluids, then restarted, you WON'T hear it as it won't run until the next time the vehicle has cooled down and been restarted in open loop operation.
    I'm not sure what the noise could be but these cars don't have an A.I.R pump so that can't be it. I don't know of any newer GM motor that has one anymore.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.