Movie Time = Dead Battery
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Movie Time = Dead Battery in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hey gang, thought I'd pop in a movie for my other kids while we were at my oldest's soccer practice ...
    Nimoch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Movie Time = Dead Battery

Hey gang, thought I'd pop in a movie for my other kids while we were at my oldest's soccer practice and it drained the battery. Was in accessory mode and had it on for almost an hour. Tried digging through old posts to see if others had the same issues and I'm getting a "watch out for accessory mode" vibe from the old posts. Should I have the battery tested? If it's no bueno, an Optima Red Top 78 is the fan favorite around here, yes? I tried using the search function "accessory mode site:http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/" and "dead battery site:http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/" to dig up old threads.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Re: Movie Time = Dead Battery

You've got a 2006. Provided it's the OEM AC Delco, it lasted 7 years. Pretty damn good for a battery as most owners get 3 - 5 years on average on a battery nowadays. So it's not an issue with the car. Just a normal wear item wearing down after ~7 years of use.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    78 red top here. No issues. Left in acc for over an hour before.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

yeah, watching a movie for an hour is going to kill any battery. mine dies from less than that with a two yr old red top.

I popped the cover off and it said NAPA. Looks like battery #2 at the least. I'll go get it checked later today.

Like I say, 3 - 5 years is average. And on a car with as many electronic gizmos/gadgets, it's probably a realistic number for this car.

Again, it's a wear item and they wear out. I'm failing to see it as a problem with the car. Look on the label. Sometimes they put date punch-outs on them. That would tell you possibly when it was changed.

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

There is a factory update for battery life issues at the dealer. Not sure exactly what it fixed, but probably to fix your issue. It is supposed to go into a safety battery level shutdown after a set voltage to prevent your issue.

Ok thanks Wait!

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

I won't touch an Optima again after the experiences I've had with the last several batteries, several because 3 of them I had were under warranty.

If you're set on an Optima then keep one more thing in mind, they only carry the 3 year replacement warranty on the ones sold today. The pro-rated coverage is gone if that tells you anything about the quality. $200+ on a battery that might last 3 years? Not worth it in my opinion.

I used to swear by them when they were U.S. made batteries, my first one lasted more than 7 years and was still good when I traded the vehicle in. The last several I had barely lasted a year in most cases.

I bought a couple of Sears Diehard AGM batteries but don't have enough time on them yet to tell you if they are a quality battery, they are a 3 year replacement warranty and 100 month pro-rated. That tells me they have some confidence in their quality. And the group 78 Diehard AGMs I picked up on sale for $145 each, not much more than a regular chain store battery.

rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv
    +1. They have gone way down hill since batteries started being produced in Mexico.

06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

Guys, keep in mind that the Optima battery was originally designed for racing use, not longevity. The gell cell battery is a huge safety design in off road, boating ect. These things became a trend and like you pointed out, quality went down hill a couple of years ago.

I have purchased my last 4 truck batteries at Autozone. The gold series has lasted close to 8yrs in my little beater truck even though it sits most of the time. I've also had a gold series in my tow pig that lasted 4yrs before it crapped out on me. A quick trip back to a/z and had a replacement for about $20.

If you really want the BEST of the best in batteries Odyssey makes the BEST! Be prepared to pay for the best though. They use like 99% pure lead and they're made in the U.S. The off road guys have all pretty much moved to the dry cell units for safety.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by 06 STS Rob View Post
    Guys, keep in mind that the Optima battery was originally designed for racing use, not longevity. The gell cell battery is a huge safety design in off road, boating ect. These things became a trend and like you pointed out, quality went down hill a couple of years ago.
    Rob, I thought the red-top was supposed to be designed for longevity for the normal enthusiast who wanted a reliable normal use/duty battery, the yellow was for the monster stereo guys, with the blue being marine use. Back then only the red top had the 3 year replacement, 3 year pro-rate replacement. The yellow and blue if I remember correctly was strictly a 1 year replacement warranty.

I'll chime in at a later date with my Diehard AGM experience after I put some time on them, but I'm really disappointed in the quality decline over the last 15 years when I first started using them. I've probably owned 10 or so of these optimas in that time and only the first two lasted beyond the 6 year period.

The last optima I purchased was a nightmare to get replaced. It didn't meet the rated load test and just barely passed the minimum so it took several months to get replaced as I had to let it sit on a shelf in the garage and deteriorate to the point that it wouldn't accept a charge anymore. The problem was it was weak and the store managed to get it to pass the test by charging it and immediately performing the load test (it always showed low charge in the store). Have it sit in the car for a week without driving it and it was dead. The last 3 optimas that I remember had the same issue. And it ended up costing me more money in the end because I had to purchase another battery in the meantime so I could continue to drive my vehicles without fear of being stranded somewhere. That leaves me with two spare batteries on the shelf of my garage because of the optima experience.

I'm really hoping to have good luck with the Diehard. The fact that Sears has the warranty out to 100 months tells me they have confidence in that battery lasting.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-advance...4&blockType=G4

The only problem I see with the Diehard (not in the STS) is that it won't fit in my Corvette. The Vette originally came with a group 75 battery and I was able to get a group 78 optima in it by trimming the battery tray. The optima filled it right to the fender cover where the Diehard is about 1/2" longer so doesn't fit the Vette. It shouldn't be a problem on the STS though as there is plenty of room width wise.

06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

Wake- I'm not sure the time frame, but Optima was only available at race shops, boat shops, and like you said stereo shops for years before you started finding them everywhere. I think your right on the red top but I'm pretty sure they were already "cheap" batteries by the time those came out. I totally agree with you and have no plans to buy any Optima batteries in the future...

Rob, I'll take a look at a Diehard if it comes to it. Thanks for all the info! Really bummed I can't watch a movie for a while without draining the battery, regardless of type.

I've had OPtimas go bad too.

Guys, all batteries, whether they be the AC Delco you got from the factory or the OEM replacement, Die Hard, Exides, AutoZone's Duralast, Interstates, etc, are all made by two or three manufacturers. One is Johnson Controls (JCI). JCI makes the Die Hard's that we sell and the Exides for example. So at the end of the day, don't get hung up on where you buy them or the brand name on the sticker, it's all the same hunk of crap inside, even these new AGM styles. At the end of the day, it all matters on how YOU take care of them by how you run them and recharge them. All of us have different loads they put on them, driving styles, commutes, etc. which can all impact a batteries life span. So the results you get are different than what I may get. That has very little bearing on the actual brand or battery inside the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.