Please give me good news
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Please give me good news in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Well fellas the sts v has got me gone in a loop! Here's the story: Recently my car has began ...
    terrydactul is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Sts V

Please give me good news

Well fellas the sts v has got me gone in a loop! Here's the story: Recently my car has began to shake at speeds 65+. I took it to the dealer where they told me I have two bent front wheels... Quotes me 978 and some change A PIECE! And i was charged 298 for labor for them "finding the peoblem"So I said screw that and bought to NEW never used wheels online. For 340 a piece. Took them to Firestone auto care to get them mounted balanced and an alignment.. After all said and done I'm 700$ deep into this and guess what still shakes! Please help me !

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wiz321654 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Did you re use the original tires? Are they worn any way?

Re: Please give me good news

They said tires looked fine

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by terrydactul View Post
    Well fellas the sts v has got me gone in a loop! Here's the story: Recently my car has began to shake at speeds 65+. I took it to the dealer where they told me I have two bent front wheels... Quotes me 978 and some change A PIECE! And i was charged 298 for labor for them "finding the peoblem"So I said screw that and bought to NEW never used wheels online. For 340 a piece. Took them to Firestone auto care to get them mounted balanced and an alignment.. After all said and done I'm 700$ deep into this and guess what still shakes! Please help me !
    Hello terrydactul,

I am sorry to hear about your situation and that your vehicle is still having an issue. I understand how spending money on fixes when the issue still occurs after can be frustrating. If there is anything you would like to further discuss, please contact us via private message. Keep us updated if you are able to resolve your concern.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

Have you inspected the struts and control arms for bushing wear? How many miles on the car?

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

All suspension has been listed, how about brakes. Are the front rotors experiencing some form of rotor runout that's bad enough to impact things even while not braking. Although I would think this would be a progressive issue at all speeds...

Tires can still be the culprit too. I can look at a tire too and tell you "it looks fine", but even a brand new tire, based on it's mold, can sometimes not be within tolerance enough to be offset by wheel weights and being balanced. Add in wear and overall usage and it can only exacerbate the issue.

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

oh oh oh let me let me!! just dealt with this. lol. I went in due to EXCESSIVE inner tire wear. found out the lower control arm BUSHINGS where bad, and had a ball joint pop (which I had known about for some time) so I jumped on ebay got a GREAT DEAL on lower controls arms had then in two days, had them installed and couldn't get alignment in spec and vibration still there. immediately I started thinking the tires I had bought were just junk (they were cheap ones to tide over until suspension was fixed). noticed the rotors had some hot spots so went ahead and ordered new rotors, replaced those and high speed vibration was still there. took it back AGAIN today for the third alignment process in 1month. finally got it in spec with straps and many ppl helping and the vibration is now gone. firestone ALSO did my alignment.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Was you car in an accident? That seems like a lot of suspension and subframe work (I.E. damage), to have to realign.

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Who was the one who did the final correct alignment?

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

Boomy what specs did you set for front alignment??
    Also PS on tires--sometimes the belts inside the tires can shift causing major vibrations--they will look fine,but be very bad--to me id feel it over 70

dondadda08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts-v

Your back wheels could be bent as well, happened to me already, couldn't figure it out until I bought new tires for the car and found one of my back wheels bent slightly. Replaced it and no more issues. The stock wheels are prone to warping like any other wheel. I would have them all checked. I also agree that your tires could be out of round to. A buddy of mine had that issue as well. Good luck!

back wheels or tires OR driveline issues will be felt in the floor/seat of the car not the steering wheel. steering wheel is usually connected to the front only. I will have to get a pic of the new alignment stuff. my car has 100k on it so im thinking maybe the springs are settling OR the shocks might be slightly bad to cause the issues we had alignment wise. its 100x better now. found out a back rim IS bent, but with the new tires is 100x better so I don't care currently. lol. also OP you might have bad wheel bearing, those can cause steering wheel shaking also. take wheel off and spin the hud, youll know quickly if its bad.

Thanks for all the posts fellas, the shake is felt in the front/ steering wheel also. It feels like it's right underneath me when I drive. Wouldn't an alignment be able to pinpoint the problem area?

TimmyC is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

An alignment is only going to tell you where the wheels are pointed. I've had alignments where the guy didn't notice that the tie rod was worn out. You can check for bad ball joints and tie rods yourself easily. Jack the car up and grab the wheel from the top and bottom and try to rock it. If it moves you have bad ball joints or bushings. Then grab it from the front and back and try to rock it that way. You'll be able to feel it if the tie rod is bad.

you can road force the wheels also to see if a rim is bent. since often you cant see if with eyes or by rubbing your hand over it. id find a shop local to you (from my understanding must firestones have roadforce machines) that has a roadforce balancer and have them balance all four tires. that will tell you if rim is bent. do what time said to find out if tie rod is bad, however, with the moving back and fourth it could also be a wheel bearing, so id take the wheels off and spin the hub with the lug nuts, if they make noise I would replace them as they should not. once all of that is done and everything is good, have it aligned again. once that is done take it back and make sure the alignment is good. I would almost guess that you have a bad wheel bearing though honestly, my passenger side was bad and didn't show any signs other than noise (which I could never hear) and caused a bad vibration.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.