Anyone know how traction control works
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave G
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Anyone know how traction control works in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Does it apply the brakes, Adjust the throttle, Etc?...
    bigburban is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Sts-v 2008

Anyone know how traction control works

Does it apply the brakes, Adjust the throttle, Etc?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

theotherguyssn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 sts-v

Re: Anyone know how traction control works

When drive wheel slip is noted while the brake is not applied, the electronic brake control module (EBCM) will enter traction control mode.

First, the EBCM requests the engine control module (ECM) to reduce the amount of torque to the drive wheels via the serial data. The ECM reduces torque to the drive wheels by retarding spark timing and turning off fuel injectors. The ECM reports the amount torque delivered to the drive wheels via the serial data circuit.
    copyright gm.

06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

That being said... Why with the t/c off, does the car still have active t/c (can't power brake) Has Cadillac maitained a level of t/c even when turned off? I'm guessing a tune can eliminate this.

Dave G is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

You can thank lawyers for that. I'm not sure how many times in Competitive Driving Mode I've had the back end come around just to where I want it and 'bam' the nannies kick in. On private roads of course
    06 STS Rob likes this.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Doesn't eliminate torque management. Need to tune that out.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Right, but then it does apply brakes to any spinning wheels.

I once could not get up a hill that was covered with muddy snow in a Trailblazer because I had put it in 4 low, which disabled TC. I went back to 4 high and just floored it.

The throttle was adjusted for me and the brakes were automatically applied where needed at every instant. The thing slowly walked up the hill perfectly straight. I was pretty impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherguyssn View Post
    When drive wheel slip is noted while the brake is not applied, the electronic brake control module (EBCM) will enter traction control mode.

First, the EBCM requests the engine control module (ECM) to reduce the amount of torque to the drive wheels via the serial data. The ECM reduces torque to the drive wheels by retarding spark timing and turning off fuel injectors. The ECM reports the amount torque delivered to the drive wheels via the serial data circuit.
    copyright gm.

theotherguyssn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 sts-v

competitive driving mode only turns traction and stabilit trac modes down so not as sensitive i haven't tried on my own car but if you press and hold traction button down for about 10 secons will turn stabilitrac all the way off and i was assume traction is off but haven't tried to power break it with it off may want to try that. will display message cross ur dic saying stabliitrac is off also

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by theotherguyssn View Post
    competitive driving mode only turns traction and stabilit trac modes down so not as sensitive i haven't tried on my own car but if you press and hold traction button down for about 10 secons will turn stabilitrac all the way off and i was assume traction is off but haven't tried to power break it with it off may want to try that. will display message cross ur dic saying stabliitrac is off also
    Even with it fully off the car doesn't take well to a standing burnout. You can spin yourself out without any issues because stability control won't come save you when the back steps out; but I had the experience of the car grabbing the brakes intermittently for about 10-15 seconds while on the dyno until it totally gave up, lit up the dash like a christmas tree and allowed everything to spin 100% freely.

I believe pulling the fuses solves that problem.

As to the OP's original question: Traction Control is summed up perfectly by post #2. It retards timing and cuts fuel until you gain traction again, then feeds it back in. Stability Control grabs at individual brake rotors to keep the car in a straight line.

You can't power brake with with just TC off because you will trip the SC sensors and it will grab the rear brake on whatever side steps out (plus as I described above, the car really doesn't like when the rear tires are going much faster than the fronts, it knows you're being a hooligan)

TimmyC is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac

The TC also closes the throttle when enough spin is detected. I've never noticed the brakes being applied on this car for traction control but I have felt it in stability control situations.

Power braking is not allowed in the stock file but that can easily be fixed with a tune.

Pull the ABS fuse for dyno time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.