Burping heat exchanger
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Burping heat exchanger in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I was wondering if any of you guys have a good system for burping the most amount of air out ...
    rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv

Burping heat exchanger

I was wondering if any of you guys have a good system for burping the most amount of air out of the heat exchanger cooling system? I have a TC fab heat exchanger upgrade. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Re: Burping heat exchanger

Just keep taking the cap off the fill tube by the battery and fill as needed. It will take a few drive cycles to get it all out. Took me about a week til I was happy.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Yep, that's the only way to do it. Don't take the rectangle cover off the top of the intercooler lid. It does vent the air nicely, but the o ring will never seal again. If you want to replace the o ring go ahead and remove it, just be ready.

Zzapp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V mine and 2010 CTS wife's

I burped mine by taking the rectangle cap off and I did not have any sealing issues after... I guess thats hit and miss... Harbor Freight does sell an "O" ring set for cheap 10-15 bucks unless its onsale then its about $8

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

I've had mine off several times and have had no issues. Technically during refill, you're supposed to open/take out the vent nut, down on the radiator itself (on the drivers side) on top of the stock intercooler if I recall (which is irrelevant in your case as you don't have the stocker), and fill until you get fluid to that point. Cap it off, cap off the rectangle cap, then fill the resevoir tube until it's to the top, and then top off as necessary. It may actually take a little while. I'm still burping mine from the flush about a month ago. It helps if you cycle the intercooler pump. This can be done with a Tech 2 (look for the CAC sub-menu. CAC stands for "Charged Air Cooler" in GM speak), and you can manually toggle it (the CAC pump), on/off, or you should be able to, by running the engine.

The PITA is the retarded design of the opening UNDER that rectanglular cap, and may be the reason one thinks you're not sealing because you probably spilled a bit trying to fill it there. You have to pour the coolant in at a dribble, otherwise you'll overflow it because there is no room inside that hole to quantity fill it. I end up wrapping a towel around the bottom of a small funnel, then slowly pour it in, and still occasionally have a little spill over.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.